John Deere 314 questions - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 03-29-2010, 08:58 PM   post #1 of 6
mopar4u
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 2122
Default John Deere 314 questions

Bought a 1981 John Deere 314 garden tractor with a hydro tranny, Kohler 14hp. Couple questions:

1. Thoughts on this tractor? Good, Bad, personal experiences, what to look out for.

2. When in neutral it slightly creeps backwards. If I put the lever about a 1/2" forward it will sit in neutral. Previous owner said it has always done this and just didn't know how to adjust it. It has fresh fluid in it. Wondering if anyone knows if there is an adjustment for this and if so where is it located?

3. Is it hard on the tranny to be going full speed forward then quickly drop the hydro lever to full reverse or is it good practice to ease into it?

4. Is it normal for these engine to shake at idle? Above idle it is smooth.
mopar4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 09:22 PM   post #2 of 6
TNTFarms
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 39999
Default Re: John Deere 314 questions

1. My first JD was a 314, I still have it, I love it, I mow and till with mine, I have the 48" deck and the 33 tiller with both extensions. never had a minutes problem with it. Darn good tractors in my opinion.

2. If your lever has to be moved that far something is worn out, just an adjustment will not cure it. Go to JD parts search for model 314 and you can see a diagram of the parts needed. They are on the right side of the rear end toward the front.

3. As with any equipment you should always ease into it if you want it to last.

4. My engine is the same way shake to you to death at idle but runs smooth on full rpm, just nature of the old Kohler beast.
07 Hustler Z, Deere -88 - 322, 88 - 318, 90 - 318, 79 - 317, 67 - 112 round fender, Power flow bagger with power Pak, Power flow belt drive, model 30 tiller, model 49 snow blower, 54 blade, Brinly - 3pt plow and disc, 79 Troybilt horse, 86 Troybilt pony, 68 - Wheel Horse commando 8
TNTFarms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 09:26 PM   post #3 of 6
motobike
Happy To Be Here

MTF Member # 36969

On the tranmission adjustment.

That is not unusual to find them doing that, with a little adjustment it will be fine.

And yes: Don't just jam it from forward to reverse; that is hard on any transmission.

We don't quit playing because we got old; we get old because we quit playing.
motobike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 09:26 PM   post #4 of 6
mopar4u
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTFarms View Post
1. My first JD was a 314, I still have it, I love it, I mow and till with mine, I have the 48" deck and the 33 tiller with both extensions. never had a minutes problem with it. Darn good tractors in my opinion.

2. If your lever has to be moved that far something is worn out, just an adjustment will not cure it. Go to JD parts search for model 314 and you can see a diagram of the parts needed. They are on the right side of the rear end toward the front.

3. As with any equipment you should always ease into it if you want it to last.

4. My engine is the same way shake to you to death at idle but runs smooth on full rpm, just nature of the old Kohler beast.

thanks.
I was kind of guessing on the 1/2", it is probably less than that. Is there an adjustment for creep?
mopar4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 10:27 PM   post #5 of 6
D-Dogg
The Magnificent

MTF Member # 20164
Garage

The creep is adjustible, unless the linkages are worn.

Go ahead and spend the $45 on the service manual on CD - it's worth it.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:01 PM   post #6 of 6
bontai Joe
Citizen of Earth

MTF Member # 51

1. good solid tractor!
2. Yes the tranny can be adjusted, but you really need the service manual to do it, there are several steps and the photos will walk you thru it.
3. Yes it's hard on the tranny to do panic stops, power slides and burnouts.
4. The ol' Kohlers shake at idle, being a splash lubed motor, they are happier at or near full throttle

ALWAYS remember to remove the spark plug wire from the plug before sticking your hand in the machine!!!! The fingers you save could be your own.
bontai Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.