Oil for a kubota bx 2360 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 03-25-2010, 07:43 AM   post #1 of 3
rjh245
MTF Member

MTF Member # 29409
Default Oil for a kubota bx 2360

What kinds of oil are you using in your Kubota?
Anyone running any mobil oils?
rjh245 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 08:54 AM   post #2 of 3
Volfandt
Machinery enthusiast

MTF Member # 164
Default Re: Oil for a kubota bx 2360

rjh245, long story short, any premium oil will work as long as it meets Kubota's specs.

Now short story long
Unless it's changed, BX's are spec'ed for 10w30 oil for the temps that are most common throughout N. America. It also calls for a minimum if a "CF" API rateing which indicates that the oil is formulated for diesel engines. Gasoline engines require an API of "S".
So any oil that carries a minimum of a CF API rateing and has a grade of 10w30 meets Kubota's specs.

Std Mobil 1 syn carries both an S & C rating and there are posters that have used it without problems but since Mobil also makes a syn specifically for diesel engines I would recommend that over the std Mobil 1.

Theres many posters that have run 15w40 in their diesels for decades and also use it in their newer Kubota's that are spec'ed for 10w30 and they also report no problems. It allows them to stock just one oil for all their diesel machinery.

There hasn't been an oil related engine failure posted here in the Kubota sections since I've been here and folks run 30w, 5w30, 5w40, 10w30, 40w, 15w40, synthetic, syn blend & dino and will sware that whatever their using, it works great in their tractors

Theres been many the debate over using a C rated oil w/a weight of 5w30 or 5w40 instead of the 10w30 because the lower viscosity allows better oil circulation at startup, especially when it's very cold. Some have even recommended a 0w30 in the very cold climates. Makes sense to me but I rarely experience that kind of cold down here.

Me? I run the Kubota branded 10w30 dino as well as the OEM oil filter primarily because thats what spec'ed for it. I know I'm paying alittle more but I enjoy my yearly visit to the Kubota dealer to purchase it, shoot the breeze over Kubota tractoring in general and check out the new offerings.
If I were to have to order it and have it shipped I'd probably use an alternative that I could buy loically but since theres atleast 3 Kubota dealers within easy driving distance of me, I choose to use OEM maintenance materials. But thats just me, YUMV

In closing, as long as the oil (& filter) meet spec's use whatever brand you like.
Dave
P.S. You may want to check out our Kubota CUT forum, theres more folks that post there with your model (BX) tractor. Your fine here but you'll find more info on the BX's there.

1966 Wheel Horse 856, Gear.
1966 Wheel Horse 876, HST.
w/50" sicklebar mower, 36" rotary mower, snow blade, alternator/welder.
http://mytractorforum.com/showthread...hlight=856,876

The USMC, providing the enemies of the USA the opportunity to die for their country since 1775.
Volfandt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 11:00 AM   post #3 of 3
rjh245
MTF Member

MTF Member # 29409
Default Re: Oil for a kubota bx 2360

Thanks for the great answer. I posted this in the wrong forum by mistake.
I will need to print this answer for reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfandt View Post
rjh245, long story short, any premium oil will work as long as it meets Kubota's specs.

Now short story long
Unless it's changed, BX's are spec'ed for 10w30 oil for the temps that are most common throughout N. America. It also calls for a minimum if a "CF" API rateing which indicates that the oil is formulated for diesel engines. Gasoline engines require an API of "S".
So any oil that carries a minimum of a CF API rateing and has a grade of 10w30 meets Kubota's specs.

Std Mobil 1 syn carries both an S & C rating and there are posters that have used it without problems but since Mobil also makes a syn specifically for diesel engines I would recommend that over the std Mobil 1.

Theres many posters that have run 15w40 in their diesels for decades and also use it in their newer Kubota's that are spec'ed for 10w30 and they also report no problems. It allows them to stock just one oil for all their diesel machinery.

There hasn't been an oil related engine failure posted here in the Kubota sections since I've been here and folks run 30w, 5w30, 5w40, 10w30, 40w, 15w40, synthetic, syn blend & dino and will sware that whatever their using, it works great in their tractors

Theres been many the debate over using a C rated oil w/a weight of 5w30 or 5w40 instead of the 10w30 because the lower viscosity allows better oil circulation at startup, especially when it's very cold. Some have even recommended a 0w30 in the very cold climates. Makes sense to me but I rarely experience that kind of cold down here.

Me? I run the Kubota branded 10w30 dino as well as the OEM oil filter primarily because thats what spec'ed for it. I know I'm paying alittle more but I enjoy my yearly visit to the Kubota dealer to purchase it, shoot the breeze over Kubota tractoring in general and check out the new offerings.
If I were to have to order it and have it shipped I'd probably use an alternative that I could buy loically but since theres atleast 3 Kubota dealers within easy driving distance of me, I choose to use OEM maintenance materials. But thats just me, YUMV

In closing, as long as the oil (& filter) meet spec's use whatever brand you like.
Dave
P.S. You may want to check out our Kubota CUT forum, theres more folks that post there with your model (BX) tractor. Your fine here but you'll find more info on the BX's there.
rjh245 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.