BX1860 with Trac-Vac 854-BX ? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 03-21-2010, 01:40 PM   post #1 of 14
OneTrack
Ex City Boy

MTF Member # 32883
Default BX1860 with Trac-Vac 854-BX ?

Does anyone have this combination? I am considering buying the Trac-Vac 854-BX (http://www.trac-vac.com/index_files/PtoVacs.htm) for my BX1860, and would be very interested in your experience. I have 2.5 acres of grass, fully treed with both conifers and deciduous trees. I just took possession of the property now, and the sellers left all of the fallen leaves from last fall.

I like the idea of a PTO-driven vac. But I notice that the requirements of the 854-BX is 13.5hp of PTO power. I imagine that is more than the BX1860 has available while travelling and while running the cutter deck.

Thanks,

OneTrack
Paris, Ontario
OneTrack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2010, 05:43 PM   post #2 of 14
Volfandt
Machinery enthusiast

MTF Member # 164
Default Re: BX1860 with Trac-Vac 854-BX ?

Interesting that the minimum required pto hp is 13.5 & the BX1860 makes 13.7..... So technically, according to both Kubota and Trac Vac your tractor should power it.
That said, you'll probably not have any problems powering it while mowing in high gear on flat terrain with the grass no more than 2 inches taller than what your cutting at. You'll probably start lugging on inclines and/or in tall grass but a change to low gear would probably take care of that.
I've found in my experiences that Kubota must have understated the specs on my BX23 as I've carried more weight in the FEL & on the 3PH than it's spec'd for and it handled it fine. Course I take full responsibility for it should it have failed. I've not run any rear pto powered implements w/it so I will withhold my opinion on that, but will say I've read many posts were BX owners haven't had any problems powering 48" brush hogs as well as chipper/shreaders with them.

I run a Cylone Rake which has it's own 6hp power plant and it does a very good job. It picks up everything I run it over (except large twigs and walnuts). The two main drawbacks are that it's VERY loud and it produces alot of dust out the back.
The Trac Vac may not be near as loud since it powers off of the tractors pto and that would be a huge benefit. I'd say it'll still produce the same dust.
Perhaps someone will be along w/experience w/the Trac Vac.
Dave

1966 Wheel Horse 856, Gear.
1966 Wheel Horse 876, HST.
w/50" sicklebar mower, 36" rotary mower, snow blade, alternator/welder.
http://mytractorforum.com/showthread...hlight=856,876

The USMC, providing the enemies of the USA the opportunity to die for their country since 1775.
Volfandt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 07:06 PM   post #3 of 14
midtnvol
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 36250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfandt View Post
Interesting that the minimum required pto hp is 13.5 & the BX1860 makes 13.7..... So technically, according to both Kubota and Trac Vac your tractor should power it.
That said, you'll probably not have any problems powering it while mowing in high gear on flat terrain with the grass no more than 2 inches taller than what your cutting at. You'll probably start lugging on inclines and/or in tall grass but a change to low gear would probably take care of that.
I've found in my experiences that Kubota must have understated the specs on my BX23 as I've carried more weight in the FEL & on the 3PH than it's spec'd for and it handled it fine. Course I take full responsibility for it should it have failed. I've not run any rear pto powered implements w/it so I will withhold my opinion on that, but will say I've read many posts were BX owners haven't had any problems powering 48" brush hogs as well as chipper/shreaders with them.

I run a Cylone Rake which has it's own 6hp power plant and it does a very good job. It picks up everything I run it over (except large twigs and walnuts). The two main drawbacks are that it's VERY loud and it produces alot of dust out the back.
The Trac Vac may not be near as loud since it powers off of the tractors pto and that would be a huge benefit. I'd say it'll still produce the same dust.
Perhaps someone will be along w/experience w/the Trac Vac.
Dave
I've been considering a Cyclone Rake and wondered if one will attach to a BX1850 w/o a bunch of modifications. How do you hook up yours?.....and Go VOLS. Need to put a beat down on that other Ohio school now.
midtnvol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 09:46 PM   post #4 of 14
Volfandt
Machinery enthusiast

MTF Member # 164

midtnvol, theres no mods at all, CR provides a 3ph bracket that the CR pins to. Heres a pic. http://www.mytractorforum.com/attach...5&d=1189282834
I've added check chains and a tow ball to it for other purposes.

re. the VOLS. How 'bout them VOLS CBP has done an outstanding job this yr. It's payback time for them buckeyes

OneTrack, sorry to get off track.
Dave

The USMC, providing the enemies of the USA the opportunity to die for their country since 1775.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:24 AM   post #5 of 14
OneTrack
Ex City Boy

MTF Member # 32883

Thanks for the great info! No worries about 'staying on track.' This site seems pleasantly social, compared to some. I enjoy it.

OneTrack.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:39 AM   post #6 of 14
midtnvol
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 36250

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrack View Post
Thanks for the great info! No worries about 'staying on track.' This site seems pleasantly social, compared to some. I enjoy it.

OneTrack.
Since reading about the vac-trac, I may have changed my mind. I like the thought of it running off the pto (one less thing to maintain vs the separate engine of the CR). I have looked for a price list for the Trac-Vac but have had no luck other than a person has one for sale (said he gave $690.00 new). That's the part (price) that has my attention more than the pto thing.
CR's are a little pricey but good.
Well, upon futher review http://www.acidist.com/Pricebooks/tracvac.pdf I must have misread the $690.00 price thing.

Last edited by midtnvol; 03-22-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:51 PM   post #7 of 14
UrbanTractor
Likes Vintage JDs

MTF Member # 38663

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtnvol View Post
Since reading about the vac-trac, I may have changed my mind. I like the thought of it running off the pto (one less thing to maintain vs the separate engine of the CR). I have looked for a price list for the Trac-Vac but have had no luck other than a person has one for sale (said he gave $690.00 new). That's the part (price) that has my attention more than the pto thing.
CR's are a little pricey but good.
Well, upon futher review http://www.acidist.com/Pricebooks/tracvac.pdf I must have misread the $690.00 price thing.
In another thread, I was asking about PTO-driven lawn sweepers vs. those that have their own engine.

I thought the PTO versions would be less expensive, because they don't need a separate engine to power them. But an experienced member here (I think it was Paul Christenson) said the PTO versions are MORE costly because they are generally made heavier-duty, more like "commercial-grade".

I don't even own a tractor yet, but I like the idea of not having to maintain another engine, and keeping supplies of different fuels. Volfandt's mention of the noise level is another good argument. I would be willing to pay a bit more for those advantages. Question is, how much more?

EDIT: Oops, just followed those links. Looks like a spread of about $1K (approx $1700 vs $2700). That seems like a lot, considering no engine required for the Trac-Vac.

Last edited by UrbanTractor; 03-22-2010 at 01:58 PM.
UrbanTractor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2010, 10:30 PM   post #8 of 14
midtnvol
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 36250
Default Another option...

I found this on MTF somewhere but it looks interesting. Check the videos. Nice and cheap. http://www.lawntractorleafbag.com/index.html

You would look like a queen termite crawling across the yard draging that thing around.

Last edited by midtnvol; 03-22-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:48 AM   post #9 of 14
Volfandt
Machinery enthusiast

MTF Member # 164

You know it's getting to be the right time of the yr when talk gets to these kinds of topics

re. the CR. I've done some reviews but I don't mind touching on some brief notes.
Pos,
Picks up everything you run over with the exception of the larger heavier debris (limbs, walnuts, large pine cones etc).
Stows easily. I normally just leave it intact but it'll fold up and hang on a wall.
I'm going on my 5th season and the fabric hopper is still surprisingly very servicable. The zippers and velcro fastners still do their job and show no signs of failure (knock on wood).
Somewhat easy to unload. The dryer the clippings the easier they will dump out. It's not unusual to have to "help" them out with a gloved hand.
So far the 6hp B&S Intek engine has been trouble free. Thus far I do a yearly oil change & plug cleaning and a bi-yearly air filter change and thats about it.
The CR hitches ridgedly to the tractor with no pivot point. This is good for backing as theres no pivot point but makes it VERY LONG in turns.

Cons,
It is VERY LOUD! The exhaust points towards the operator station and coupled w/the air noise I've got to wear ear protection (which is an AM/FM headset). They include a pr of ear plugs with it.
It producs ALOT OF DUST out the back. Normally this isn't a con as it blows it back and away from the tractor but, in those cases where you've got to back up you'll sometimes back right back into the dust cloud. I wear safety glasses when I operate it and a pr comes with it.

All in all I like it. There are two or three other models I feel like I'd like more and I'll mention them.
1) The DR tow behind vaccum. This unit has a hard plastic hopper and it supposedly uses a turbo exhaust system that cuts down on the dust cloud.
I'd like it for the turboi exhaust. It cost's a couple 100 more over the CR
Like the CR it has it's own small powerplant.

The following two models are made by Kubota, in GA but are not available to the N. American market. Why? Who knows but they would sell like hotcakes if they were available. They're for the European market.....
1) Low lift clam shell bagger. Made of hard plastic. It mounts on the 3ph and is driven by the rear pto. When the BX is equipped w/aux hydro valves, the clamshell can be opened/closed via hydro, one doesn't have to leave the seat to dump.
2) Hi Lift Clamshell bagger.Similar to the low lift except the hydraulics can raise it high enough to dump into the bed of a small pickup truck and/or tall pile. VERY NICE! I REALLY would like this one!......
If you google Kubota in England or France you can see these units, theres a dealer or two that have vid's of them in action. Unfortunately I don't have the links here at work.

Dave

Old 03-23-2010, 10:13 AM   post #10 of 14
Keyman1808
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 32425

I saw those baggers from england and they are slick. Kubota really is missing the boat. Heck if you remove your loader to mow you dont even need the Aux Hydro ports. Run the hose straight to the loader control. I have been toying with and designing one similar but still in design phase. My biggest obstacle is conecting the blower to the dump bin. At least one that looks good and is functional.

Has anyone actually called Kubota corporate directly and asked if they could special order one. Especially if they are made here in the USA.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:42 AM   post #11 of 14
OneTrack
Ex City Boy

MTF Member # 32883

Here is the UK page for the grass collectors.
http://www.kubota.co.uk/page.asp?PageRef=50
Here are a few pics:
Looks like exactly what I am looking for. I will see if/how I can get one in Canada.

OneTrack
Paris, Ontario
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kubota GCD_1small.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	97571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kubota GDC360_1small.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	97572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kubota GDC360_2small.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	97573  
Old 03-24-2010, 02:59 PM   post #12 of 14
CT-JR
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 40189

I have had the Trac-Vac-BX on my BX 2200 for the last six years. It is great. I have about 3 acres and I didn't want another gas engine to deal with. The cart holds about 2 cubic yards or 10-30 gal cans of material. I had an older 8 HP E-Z Vac on my Cub and was glad I upgraded to the PTO
unit. If you do get it-build a dolly as it is heavy. Takes about 20 minutes to install.
CT-JR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 04:03 PM   post #13 of 14
CHDinCT
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 7272

I also have the CR vaccum and love it. Like Volfandt said, it can make some dust, but from what I've read, they all do. I find it to be very well made and the fabric hopper has held up with no issues in 7 seasons of use. I believe they all come with B&S Vanguard engines now, which is a good engine.

When I bought the CR, I was using it with my Wheel Horse, so a PTO version was not possible. If I had to do it again, I'd look at the Trac Vac seriously but probably couldn't get past the significant difference in price. Just does not make sense to me that a unit with a gear box alone should cost so much more than one with a quality, dedicated engine.

One other note. I bought the optional 17' pick up hose to clean my beds and gardens. If you have places you can't get to with a tractor, you might find this option something to consider.

BX25, 54" MMM, 5' Rake, Wallenstein BX42 PTO Chipper, Woods Rear Blade, 54" front blade, 48" box blade, Ratchet Rake.
1993 Wheel Horse 520-H, 48" deck & vac bagger.
1967 Wheel Horse 1077 with 36" RD deck (in resto).
Cyclone Rake, and other toys, I mean tools
CHDinCT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 05:27 PM   post #14 of 14
UrbanTractor
Likes Vintage JDs

MTF Member # 38663

Did this guy build his own?

http://www.mytractorforum.com/galler...&goto=next&c=3
UrbanTractor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.