My Tractor Forum banner

Kubota BX23, a nice little MLB

181K views 255 replies 57 participants last post by  RDM 
#1 · (Edited)
Just after the last mowing of the 2004 season, I decided to consolidate my venerable ole TE20 and practically new JD L130 into one SubCut. I had been needing an FEL for the longest time and even found an old kit that would bolt up to the TE20 for around $500. But after giving the kit a good daylight check out and seeing that not only did every hose need replacment but that all those cracks in it's frame would lead to future problems, I started looking at the TE20 in a different light. I could have kept it, I'd had it around 15 yrs, but with space at a premium and seeing as how I like to keep my machinery in the dry, it was time for it to help someone else to tame some new property elsewhere, like it did for me.
I also took along hard look at the L130 and even though it was one of the best riding lawn mowers I've ever had, I decided that it too would serve someone else better as my new SubCut would do alittle of everything, especially finish mow so it too had to go.
Both sold within a few days of putting them out by the road with a fer-sail sign on 'em and I got my price for each. So with with a good year behind me and an additional $4500 in cold cash, selling of the TE20 before, the L130 a few days after, I started on my very enjoyable quest to bring a diesel powered SubCut back to the humble abode. :bannana:

I went to every tractor dealer within 100 miles and test drove every brand I could. And let me tell you, every brand had their good and bad points and all were close enough in size/capacity/features/pricing that I decided that getting to know the dealer/dealership/service dept would figure in as much as the hardware did. To make a long story short, it ended up that I was most at ease dealing with a Kubota/Toro dealer and another Kubota/MF dealer. Some of the other dealers didn't want to or couldn't deal while some others acted like I was wasteing their time so the decision to go orange was easy, picking which dealer would collect what I considered a large sum of my hard earned $$$'s wasn't. This checkout phase took a month. Thank goodness my job gets me out and about.... :fing32:
Since both were similar I went with the closest and have had a good relationship since. They made me a good deal up front and have made more since the sale, re. scheduled maintenance materials. When I go to add some more implements I'll go there 1st and if/when I go bigger, they'll get the 1st visit too!

The BX23 has done all that I've tasked it too do and more. As a finish mower it's 60" floating MMM, power steering and HST makes finish mowing pleasurable. The combined decibles of the engine and MMM at PTO speed is so low that I don't needed ear protection and it's low center of gravity makes mowing on hills stressfree. I've only needed 4wd to get out of some deep muck and at other times the traction lock got me out. I've yet to get it stuck!
The FEL is adequite and could use some more breakout power but 85% of the time it does an outstanding job of digging and replacing my ole wheelbarrow.
The BH works surprisingly well once I figured out how to work it properly and both are so easy to mount dismount that I leave them off when mowing and when needed can mount either or both without any tools in a few minutes.

I've since put on alittle over 100hrs since and I still highly enjoy operating it. If'n I could I'd do it for a living :cool: :smilie_fl

A few pics when it was still shiney and new.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Niiice! :fing32: It's amazing what these Sub CUT are capable of, and what good mowing machines they are. The good small diesels they put in these machines is a definite plus. I was surprised how well mine cleaned up the last time. Those 2 or 3 coats of wax I put on it when I was keeping it here in town while in my garage must helped a bit! :D

#6 ·
Nice to see you posting here Volfandt and I really like the pictures of your rig. I've wondered about the uses for a backhoe at my place/work. I bet I could think of a thing or two to use one for! The Deere boys dont offer one for my tractor anyway.

#7 ·
Thanks all. Now that I've gone diesel, I'll not go back.... :Orange_tr

Talking about things breaking down, I've just about got all my machinery upgraded (with the exception of the WheelHorse) and I still don't know how to act just jump'n on, start'n 'em up then gett'n it on :D Even the WH has been running good for the 24 hrs since refurbing it.
It's almost like somethings not right! Like I'm missing something! It wasn't so long ago that a weekend didn't go by that our vehicles didn't need some sort of attention....

So, since I don't have to wrench 'em to run 'em, I wrench 'em to add things to 'em.. :fing32:

Now that BX23 is a fine machine but even it has some shortcomings and those shortcomings needs addressing. One of the 1st mod's I just had to have was to find someplace to mount a toolbox. Not anything big, but something big enough to stow some hand tools, rope and pins in. When they designed the BX23 they took SubCut to the extreme it seems. Everythings there and within reach but to get all those controls and ergonomics compacted they didn't leave much room for anything else.

In checking out the BX23 for a suitable spot for a toolbox mount, I noticed these plastic plugs in the back of the seat, 6 of 'em. I pryed one out and low and behold theres threaded cinched in metric nuts in there! Well I remembered where I had found an 11" x 4" x 4" metal tractor tool box for my old TE20 so I ordered one up for the BX23. It arrived red primed ready to paint. So after I mocked it up and got the mounting holes drilled, I had to decide whether to go with black to match the seat or orange to match the tractor. I decided to go with the orange cause I wanted it to stand out. I guess black would have worked but I likes the orange :D

It holds a pr of lineman pliers, a barbed wire tool, an assortment of pins & clips and 20' of nylon rope and theres room for some more if needed. Since I have to swing the seat around for BH work I had to mount it high enough to clear the ROPS and not bang on the steering wheel which it clears fine.
I thought about larger boxes mounted on the rear fenders above the rear tires but due to the clearances with the fuel tank I've left that for another day. This little box works out OK and was an easy add-on so I believes I'm in no hurry to add anymore boxes :D

A few pics.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
Funny you mention the BH. I was originally trying to decide between the BX2230 & the B7510 and was all set to go the the B7510 w/FEL & 60" MMM when this BX23 that was sitting real close to the B7510 started whispering sweet nothings to me :D
It kept say'n "take me home big boy and I'll save your back" and "you know you want me" and it was doing it much more seductively than the Mrs ever did :eek: :D

So being the easy mark that I am, and considering the dealer cut me a pretty good deal, I ended up takeing the BX23 at the 11th hr.
I really haven't used it the BH no where near enough to cost justify it but then again, my back feels fine so I rekon that sweet orange thang didn't lie to me :D

I even got the Mrs to drive it once too! :D

Thanks
Volfandt

#11 ·
The BX23 came from E. Tn Equipment in Knoxville. Good folks.
I was also impressed with Tyler Bro's in Maryville too.

The toobox came from Alpha Tractor out of WA.

I get up around Jeff City & M Town every now and again. I need to stop in when I'm up there. Are you in White Pine?

Volfandt

#13 ·
I'll do it.

Since I got this fine machine in the dead of winter which means by the time I got home from work it was already dark, it didn't take but a few ventures into the dark abyss of the back 40 (really back 3 but I dreams big) :) to realize that the OEM headlights were just about useless w/the FEL mounted. I got a very good illuminated view ofhe back of the FEL but little in the way seeing where I was going so the addition of some more illumination was inorder.

The BX23 comes std w/a 15 amp dynamo, that is, it's a cross between a generator and alternator as it is based upon the alt but produces DC. After doing some simple math on what the tractor pulls from the electrics in normal opertion, I determined that I could add a couple 35 watt utility lights and still be below the 15 amp output. I figure that this will keep the battery happy among oher aspects.

So where to mount? I decided to mount 'em up high on the ROPS and mount them in a manner to where I could spin 'em around to whatever angle I needed, including to the rear, you know just incase I needed to do some night time digging etc.

Even though theres 12vDC available under the seat, which is hot anytime the key switch is turned on, I decided to run the hot wire all the way up to the dash, add in an in-line 10 amp fuse and use a pass-through splice to tap into the output wire of the existing light switch. This way all my lights are controlled via a single switch.

Now I drilled 4 small hole into the ROPS as I wanted to hide the wireing inside the ROPS out of harms way and it was the easiest way to mount the lights. Theres a big warning tag to NOT modify the ROPS and this may fall under modifying. I'm sure those 4 small holes haven't weakened the ROPS but if one is concerned about future legal rammifications I'd recommend useing clamps for mounting and running the wireing outside the ROPS. Anyways, the lights work pretty good and I've been able to play, errr ahhhh, I mean work at night now.

Volfandt

Attachments

#16 ·
PTO hp = 16.7 @ 3200 RPM.

Kubota is replaceing the BX23 with the new BX24 very soon. There are many cosmetic and mechanical upgrades coming out on it.

Mechanical upgrades:
Engine hp increases from 22 to 23
PTO hp increases from 16.7 to 17.7
Fuel Cap increases from 5.5 gal to 6.6 gal.
Hyd Sys gpm increases from 5.5 to 6.3
Tachometer is std
40A Alternator replaces the 15A Dynamo
12V outlet is added
Ground clearence increases from 6.7" to 8.7"
Quarter Inching Valve is now std
Front Tire Size increases from 18x.5-8 to 18X8.5-10 (this allows the addition of R4 tires now)
Halogen Head Lights are now std
Curved BH increases reach by 3" I believe (not sure on this one)

Cosmetic changes.
Rounded Hood Material is now Resin
Curved FEL arms that follows the curved rounded contour of the hood.
Reposition FEL mounts and Valve control.
Largest cockpit in the class.

If I wasn't so pleased with my BX23 I'd be definitely checking out the new BX24.

A few pics from the Kubota dealers show/rollout.

Attachments

#17 ·
Wow! Great looking tractor you have! And the new 24. I wonder with that coming out my local dealer will drop his asking price a bit more on a traded in 2004 BX23 with 135 hrs on it. There asking 13,000 for it. I wish someone would just buy it so I can stop drolling!Rory

#18 ·
Volfandt said:
PTO hp = 16.7 @ 3200 RPM.

Kubota is replaceing the BX23 with the new BX24 very soon. There are many cosmetic and mechanical upgrades coming out on it.

Mechanical upgrades:
Engine hp increases from 22 to 23
PTO hp increases from 16.7 to 17.7
Fuel Cap increases from 5.5 gal to 6.6 gal.
Hyd Sys gpm increases from 5.5 to 6.3
Tachometer is std
40A Alternator replaces the 15A Dynamo
12V outlet is added
Ground clearence increases from 6.7" to 8.7"
Quarter Inching Valve is now std
Front Tire Size increases from 18x.5-8 to 18X8.5-10 (this allows the addition of R4 tires now)
Halogen Head Lights are now std
Curved BH increases reach by 3" I believe (not sure on this one)

Cosmetic changes.
Rounded Hood Material is now Resin
Curved FEL arms that follows the curved rounded contour of the hood.
Reposition FEL mounts and Valve control.
Largest cockpit in the class.

If I wasn't so pleased with my BX23 I'd be definitely checking out the new BX24.

A few pics from the Kubota dealers show/rollout.
Oh, man, that is sweeet! Even if it is the wrong color! :hatsoff:

#19 ·
If only I could justify a trade...... Theres alot to like on that new BX24.

The need came up pretty quickly for adding chain/rope hooks to the FEL and since I didn't have a welder I just bolted them on. The rated capacities of the hooks and #5 bolts are much higher than the FEL's lift and breakout ratings combined so I wasn't concerned about them breaking. After useing them for secureing and lifting all kinds of things from logs to other oversize loads, I don't see the need to change over to weld-ons now.

Attachments

#20 ·
Nice write up Volfandt, it's good to see that BX is working out for you! I too did the bucket hooks on my 2210 (the weld on ones) and they are handy for a multitude of uses.

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210

#21 ·
Hi Volfandt- nice tractor!! You are a w/horse man(got to stay on ur good side). Can you tell me where u got the little add-on toolbox??
Nice pics, too. I see u enjoy that bad little tractor.
:trink40:

#22 ·
The toobox came from Alpha Tractor out of WA. (www.alphatractor.com).
It's a std heavy duty metal 11"x4"x4" toolbox. Maybe some of the local suppliers carry something similar.
For mounting a toolbox on the back of the seat of a BX22/23 I wouldn't go any bigger than this but, there wouldn't be any problems with clearances on the BX2200/BX2230 since the seat doesn't have to swivel.

Volfandt

#24 ·
The latest additonal to the BX23 is a tow behind Cyclone Rake. I've got quite a few trees and come fall you can hardly see the yard for the leaves. These leaves laying all over the place puts me into the mood for football and the holidays but in all actuality I know that I've got to get 'em up eventually. The sheer numbers make mulching ineffectual and my home made mulch plug does alright in cleanup but is pretty much useless in the heavy stuff.

I used to have a riding mower with a two bagger and it not only did pretty good in picking up whatever I drove over but also helped me make very good compost for the next season. Since it was only a two bagger I had to make many trips to the pile.

When I upgraded to the BX23 I knew I was going to eventually have to add a bagger of some sort so I started compareing brands & types right off the bat.
I liked the Kubota bagger. I liked the idea of powering it off of the PTO but read too many stories of how much of a PITA it was to mount/dismount. It's capacity wasn't much more than my ole two bagger and at what the dealer wnated for it, I shopped some more.

I liked the DR chipper/vac. It has the hard plastic hopper and advertises it's turbo exhaust as cutting down dust exhaust to almost nothing. I also liked the model with the built-in chipper. Alot of my older trees are always dropping limbs and the thought of making mulch sounded good to but, they were very proud of it and I was working within a budget and like the Kubota bagger, it was way above it...

I looked at the Agri-Fab and another model that was powered off of the tractors PTO but since I had alot of close qtr manuvering to do, I didn't want an additonal pivot point so that left either fabing something up or going with the Cyclone Rake.
I went with the CR.
I liked the way it mounted to a special 3PH bracket (provided) which made it a rigid connection. The hose stayed in the same position and backing up was easy. I liked the way it folds up for stowing and it seems to be made very well. The 6hp B&S starts on the 1st pull and it picks up whatever I run over including small branches and black walnuts.
There are a few negatives tho. It is loud. So loud that ear protection is needed. (they iclude ear plugs) I have a set of full cup ear protectors w/a built in AM//FM radio that works fine.
It also puts out the dust. It's routed out the back and is generally not an issue unless you've got to backup to manuver. They do include a set a goggles.
The capacity of the platnum model is much bigger than the baggers and I can cover the front yard in one load which is just shy of an acre. I generally mulch the front but on a few occasions I have gone back with the CR to pickup the windrows. I side discharge the back yard into several long windrows and mount the CR on to pick them up. It also comes in two bigger sizes, the Pro & Commercial Pro. They didn't have the Pro size when I bought mine and probably would have went with that model as it's capacity is bigger.
It's fairly easy to dump and cleanout, I recommend a hand blower for final cleanup of the CR & tractor.
Since I've it's so easy to mount & dismount I only use it for picking up the windrows and leaves so it does't get that much use so I can't comment on it's reliability but from what I've read it should work good & last a long time.

Volfandt

Attachments

#25 ·
What a day. Here it is mid Nov and it hit into the low 70's. Ole man winter musta took a nap today. :D

After makeing one last pass to pickup the last of the leaves I went on ahead and pressure washed the Kubota MMM & also the WH deck. After cleaning I like to spray a coating of WD-40 on mowing deck's when I put 'em up for the winter. I believes it'll help 'em both to last a while... :D

A couple pic's of the MMM getting lifted and carried outside. Notice I have a set of those handy Mower Deck Axles, they make storage and servicing of the MMM easy.
Last pic is of the Kubota 60" MMM beside the WH 36" deck. Theres about 40 yrs and quite a differences in size between 'em.

Attachments

#26 ·
Wow, that is a pretty good size difference. :D One thing I like about the end of the mowing season is that mulching through the leaves does a great job of cleaning the underside of the deck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.