Decisions decisions - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 03-13-2010, 09:04 PM   post #1 of 8
MR.T
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 6660
Help Decisions decisions

Hello everybody, I have never posted on the Husqvarna site before. I am trying to decide which mower to purchase. I have pretty much narrowed it down to a Husqvarna with the 46" cut and Kohler engine or a LA125 Deere. I compared both today at Lowes. There is only $100.00 difference in price. The Husqvarna offers a 3 year warranty, the Deere only 2. The only thing that I don't like about the Husqvarna is the gas tank mounted under the hood.
I have less than 1 acre to mow, and mowing is the only thing that it will be used for, so I don't need a monster machine. I have never owned a Kohler engine, so I know nothing about them. Can someone offer me some input to help me get off the fence? Thank you.
MR.T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2010, 10:51 PM   post #2 of 8
Dougw133
MTF Member

MTF Member # 38803
Default Re: Decisions decisions

Just my opinion, but you might want to check the local dealer first. I spent a LONG time researching and comparing, and I am glad I went with the husky. What is your budget? Is it last years model? The 2010 YTH22V46 (22 horse 46" deck) has a briggs Intek. Honestly, less than an acre? 42 would suit. I mow 1.5 with a 42". Personally I dont have experience with Kohler and have heard mixed feelings. I assume you looked at the YTH21K46. For the same exact price you could get either the 42" with the briggs, or the 46" with the briggs. They all MSRP at 1599.00. including the one you are looking at. If it were me, I'd do the briggs. I would also be sure to check the dealer. Also new for this year the turning radius increased form 18" to 16". I too didn't want the gas tank under the hood. I have the YTH23V42LS. Maybe someone else can chime in on their Kohler experiences. Good luck.
Dougw133 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 11:31 PM   post #3 of 8
Mouse
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 29420

I'd go w/ the Deere, look @ the construction, if that doesn't sell you think about how nice you want your lawn to look, and how nice the JD will look on your lawn! All kidding aside, both tractors will last a lifetime if properly maintained, it boils down to
1) What seat feels best on your ars.
2) Best cut
3) easy maintance
4) Track record
Mouse
2009 Cub Cadet LTX1046VT
2011 Cub Cadet LTX 1040
1997 John Deere LX 178
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2010, 07:05 AM   post #4 of 8
MR.T
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 6660

Thanks for the replies. I would prefer to buy from a dealer, but that does not seem likely. I checked out the Husky website, and it must be pretty outdated as far as dealer locations are concerned. One of them that they list sells strictly Cub Cadet now, and another is strictly John Deere. Another one they list for my location is a small Ace Hardware. I don't see any advantage to buying one from Ace over Lowes.
I agree that a 42" cut would be plenty for my purpose, and I would be more comfortable with the Briggs engine, but the Lowes I shopped at did not have any, and I cannot find them on the Lowes website.
MR.T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 12:41 PM   post #5 of 8
poconosms1
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 710

then check how easy it its to get parts. I have the GT2654 B&S, and can go to most dealers for parts. I used to goto to a John Deere place till it folded, now I go to Ace. I never recommend kaw, because where I live, you have to order online - nobody carries their parts (oil and air filters). I bought my GT from a Lowes, but Lowes and Home Depot are infamous for not stocking parts for prior models. They usually only carry parts for the current year.

Personally, I'd stay away from John Deere - They seem to be marketed for their name rather than quality, and for the price range you're shopping, there's no difference between the Husky and JD. IMO.
poconosms1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 08:30 PM   post #6 of 8
c1tobor
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 24002

Dont know if this is helping you get off the fence but I like the Deere. Almost went with Husquvarna but there were some differences the JD had over Husq.

I just mentioned in another post also I am pretty sure if you life the plastic deflector shield, part of the blade is exposed. JD has a metal one under the plastic. This was important to me because I bunjee up the plastic gaurd to get through some tight spots.

jmho
Agri-Fab 15gal. Sprayer
Buffalo Tools 10p D/Cart
Precision Products Drop Spreader

Last edited by c1tobor; 03-15-2010 at 08:36 PM. Reason: edit
c1tobor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 10:39 PM   post #7 of 8
JoeZeppy
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 21147

As far as the gas tank under the hood goes, that's how my old MTD tractor is set up and I've never had any issues with it. I just make sure to NEVER NEVER NEVER put gas in until the engine has had plenty of time to cool off!
Rubbermaid/Craftsman poly dump cart
K-mart 22" push mower
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD
2003 Subaru WRX - sold after 10 years and 149,000 miles of love. I miss her!
JoeZeppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2010, 09:06 PM   post #8 of 8
Chris223
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 24795

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.T View Post
Hello everybody, I have never posted on the Husqvarna site before. I am trying to decide which mower to purchase. I have pretty much narrowed it down to a Husqvarna with the 46" cut and Kohler engine or a LA125 Deere. I compared both today at Lowes. There is only $100.00 difference in price. The Husqvarna offers a 3 year warranty, the Deere only 2. The only thing that I don't like about the Husqvarna is the gas tank mounted under the hood.
I have less than 1 acre to mow, and mowing is the only thing that it will be used for, so I don't need a monster machine. I have never owned a Kohler engine, so I know nothing about them. Can someone offer me some input to help me get off the fence? Thank you.
I don't think the warranty is a big point to look at even if it is 3 years. Selling these tractors for Lowes I don't think a lot of these manufacturer warranties are worth the paper they're written on once you read the fine print of what's NOT covered. And while I never buy extended warranties as a consumer myself, if there was one thing I would buy one on, it's a tractor.

But moving on, I think you'd be happy with both. The Husqvarna is a good machine. But I'd take a look at the 48" cut YTH2348 Lowes sells, it's one of Husqvarna's more popular riding mowers, and it's a good machine. Your gas tank is in the rear of it as you said that was a concern. It's also a V-twin engine which I'd always prefer over a single, and a 48" deck with grease points at the spindles and the spring assisted belt tension lever which would make removing/changing the belt very easy. The deck is also extremely easy to take off. Our assembler says the bumper kit they come with takes more time to put on than the deck, lol.

I would give the overall quality nod still to the Deere, but if you take care of your equipment the Husqvarna will last you a very long time and do just fine at a cheaper price.
Chris223 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.