How to convert a points and condenser system to electronic ignition on a small engine - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Walk Behind Mowers We all use them from time to time... no seats on them.. but they get the job done!!!

Old 02-25-2010, 01:25 AM   post #1 of 18
Austen
Senior MTF Pollster

MTF Member # 1682
Default How to convert a points and condenser system to electronic ignition on a small engine

Lately I've been recieving a lot of questions about how I converted my '49 Jacobsen two stroke reel mower to electronic ignition. I figured I'd make a thread on the parts that I bought and also an explanation about how it works so that it will hopefully answer some of the questions for anyone who might be considering doing the conversion to their small engine.

The kit that I bought is called the 'Nova II Electronic Tranistorized Solid State Ignition Module'. You also buy a coil that works inconjuction with that kit as it connects up to it. Here is the link to where you can buy the kit and the coil, both parts are listed about a quarter of the way down the page: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D2%26hl%3Den

Here is the link to the instruction page for the kit: http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/images/novainst.gif

Basically this kit eliminates the original coil, condenser and points altogether. The kit includes a module, a ground wire, a wire that connects to the new coil, and a wire that you splice into the kill wire. The module itself I mounted to the engine mounting plate as seen in the picture below and the ground wire I have connected up to the lower right screw for the carburetor mounting. Depending on your application, you might have to find a different place to mount the module and ground wire. By viewing the diagram in the instructions it helps give you a visual of how the system is set up. The new coil should fit right over your exisiting coil laminate like factory, atleaste it did on my application.

Other than that, the install is pretty straight forward and would do it again in a heartbeat. No more points to clean, condensers to go out or timing to set. I feel that it is a quality kit and depending on how and where you mount the module and wiring, it can even be hidden out of sight and look stock. In my personal opinion, the conversion makes the engine more reliable and maintenance/trouble free in the long run, and would highly suggest it to anyone considering doing it as an upgrade or simply a replacement to a tired ignition system that no longer works.

What the new spark plug wire will look like from the new coil.

Last edited by Austen; 02-25-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Austen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2010, 02:29 AM   post #2 of 18
2008 Impala
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 23056
Default Re: How to convert a points and condenser system to electronic ignition on a small en

I have given thought as to what would happen if something did happen with the Jacobson as far as ignotion goes. This sounds like something to think about.

2007 Sears Craftsman LT1000 Lawn Tractor.

Late 1950's Jacobson 2 1/4 horse 2-cycle.

1988 Lawnboy 8480. 4.5 horse F engine.

1996 White 3.75 horse Briggs(traded for a 1995-97 John Deere 14SE). 5.5.horse Kawasaki engine.
2008 Impala is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 06:48 AM   post #3 of 18
Brad
MTF--A Step Above!

MTF Member # 4571
Default Re: How to convert a points and condenser system to electronic ignition on a small en

Very nice post. Thanks for sharing that. Good picture to show finished results as well. Thank-you!

Brad
Brad is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 08:10 AM   post #4 of 18
FordTech
The Sea of Green Machines

MTF Member # 1170

Great! Thanks for the details. I have wondered how to fix some stuff you cant even get a new ignition module for. This may raise some old stuff from the dead.

LBAD member 1170 30 miles north of Texas Red River State Line
Glad to help but my advice is just advice, Its free! "If that dont fix it, Something else will!"
FordTech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2010, 11:41 PM   post #5 of 18
2cycled fruitcake
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 34915

nice re-do, i saw same app described in a textbook i read for repairs..
1996 10227
2001 10323
19.?? mtd wb
1978..ish snapper v21
2000 craftsman sp

RKBA
SEMPER FI
OORAH

2cycled fruitcake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 12:35 AM   post #6 of 18
2 cycle freak
OMC & Ariens lover!

MTF Member # 33900

wow i seen threads on other sites but no pics of how it was done what was the overall cost,time and labor?
42"deck with gators,14.5 Briggs OHV
1998 Ariens RM1232e
32" deck,bagger,thatcher,12 hp Briggs
Snow throwers-
1986 Toro S620
20",2.5 hp Tecumseh
Trimmers-
2002 echo SRM230
2 cycle freak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 01:15 AM   post #7 of 18
eric67m
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 13240

Thank you oldgardentractornut. I hope to do this conversion to my Jacobsen Manor 21 in the future. Also some of my Briggs might go this way also (briggs makes a conversion but I'm not sure of the price difference.
eric67m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 01:54 AM   post #8 of 18
Austen
Senior MTF Pollster

MTF Member # 1682

Quote:
wow i seen threads on other sites but no pics of how it was done what was the overall cost,time and labor?
Yesterday 10:41 PM
The kit and the coil were about $40 total. You should be able to install it within and hour, there really isn't much to it. The longest part is just pulling the starter assembly, engine cover and flywheel off.

Quote:
Thank you oldgardentractornut. I hope to do this conversion to my Jacobsen Manor 21 in the future. Also some of my Briggs might go this way also (briggs makes a conversion but I'm not sure of the price difference.
No problem, keep us updated and ask any questions along the way if you get stumped!
Old 02-26-2010, 02:15 AM   post #9 of 18
Austen
Senior MTF Pollster

MTF Member # 1682

Here is another site that the kit can be purchased from, http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1
Old 02-26-2010, 07:37 AM   post #10 of 18
eric67m
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 13240

It sounds like you replaced the coil also? Is that always necessary? Did you just get a new replacement for your jacobsen because your old one had issues?
Old 02-26-2010, 09:59 PM   post #11 of 18
bwdbrn1
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 18767

I'm one of those guys that got in touch with Oldgardentractornut about his conversion. I'd seen his thread about his '49 Lawn Queen, and thought it was a pretty sweet mower. I had one offered to me, and because of his posts, I knew a little bit about these mowers, so I took it. It turned out to be a '52, and Oldtractornut has been a wealth of knowledge about these engines.

These old Jacobsen engines had Wico ignition components in them. In answer to eric67m, the coil in mine was bad and had to be replaced.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=112957
bwdbrn1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2010, 02:56 PM   post #12 of 18
Austen
Senior MTF Pollster

MTF Member # 1682

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric67m View Post
It sounds like you replaced the coil also? Is that always necessary? Did you just get a new replacement for your jacobsen because your old one had issues?
Eric,

I apologize for the delayed response.

I did replace the original coil with the one shown in the first link above in the first post as I bascially wanted everything in the ignition system to be new.

Yes, you could use the stock Wico coil with the Nova kit. You will need to cut off the round connector (the one that would normally connect up to the condenser) and that's what you would splice into the wire leading from the Nova kit up to the coil.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:11 PM   post #13 of 18
FergusonTO35
Junk collector

MTF Member # 27883

This needs to be stickied.
Lots of weedeaters, chainsaws, blowers
FergusonTO35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2010, 08:36 AM   post #14 of 18
eric67m
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 13240

I recently picked up an oregon universal points eliminator kit. It appears to be very much like the nova 2 that you put on your mower. It came with no instructions so I am trying to use the nova's wiring diagram and also the atom's (both are simular). It seems like every wire is bolted to one common stud on the original configuration of the points. The bolt that holds the spring for the points has connectors for...

coil wires, three total on two terminals (blue insulated, silver stranded, and bare copper)

The kill switch wire.(black)

The condenser (red)

I tried to gut the points, remove the condenser. Connected all of these wires and the one to the ignition module together (taped off to prevent grounding. It will not work this way.

The pictures that I included are ....

flywheel and magnets (I think the kit will only work with one magnet.)

coil

Wiring (blue=coil, silver/copper=coil, black unterminated=new to oregon module, black connector=kill switch)

Oregon module, mounted up to the frame (wiring long and loose trying to figure everything out.

Am I missing something or will this kit not work for this engine? Looking for any suggestions. I have been trying and am using a bulb style spark tester to see if it will light up with no results.

Help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04810.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	109044   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04812.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	109045   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04811.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	109046   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04813.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	109047  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2010, 11:40 AM   post #15 of 18
Austen
Senior MTF Pollster

MTF Member # 1682

I would try splicing together the coil primary, the kill switch wire and also the long wire comming from the module. There should be a shorter wire comming from the module and that is your ground wire. At least that is how the Nova kit is set up.

The copper wire on the Wico is a ground wire. I'm not sure exactly though if you would use the silver stranded wire or the blue insulated wire to splice into the other two wires mentioned above unfortunately.

I gotta head out for work now, but I will do a little research and see if I can come up with some more info.

Keep us updated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.