HDAP tires for GX335 - Page 2 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 02-21-2010, 11:48 PM   post #16 of 24
RDorffer_JD445
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 31731
Default Re: HDAP tires for GX335

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-Jeff View Post
The 24x12x12 HDAP's actual height is 25-3/8". They are 2-3/8" taller than the 24x12x12 turfs. Below is a pic of a 24x12x12 turf and a 24x12x12 HDAP. The turfs are 23" tall. The 24x12x12 HDAP's are almost a direct replacement for the 26x12x12 turfs which are 25' tall.
-
-
I have seen this pic a few times now, I think it is a great comparison, but one other item I would also consider is that the HDAP is very soft, 4 ply tire and if you keep the inflation low the total diameter difference versus those turfs is less than the measurements would indicate as the tires flatten considerably when in use, fully weighted down.

Regards,

Rich
RDorffer_JD445 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2010, 12:45 AM   post #17 of 24
subeluvr
Banned!

MTF Member # 38223

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDorffer_JD445 View Post
I have seen this pic a few times now, I think it is a great comparison, but one other item I would also consider is that the HDAP is very soft, 4 ply tire and if you keep the inflation low the total diameter difference versus those turfs is less than the measurements would indicate as the tires flatten considerably when in use, fully weighted down.
IIRC the HDAP Field Trax in 24x12x12 is a 2 ply tire.

The HDAP All Trail in 23x10.5x12 is a 4 ply tire
subeluvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 07:55 AM   post #18 of 24
rrmccabe
I color outside the lines

MTF Member # 34789

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDorffer_JD445 View Post
I disagree that Ag tires will work better in the snow, matter of fact, I think they are the worst choice out of turf, Ag and HDAP for snow use (without chains).
I dont know about the HDAPs as I havent used them. But I can guarantee you there is no way I could use turfs without chains and blow snow. I would spend as much time pulling the tractor out as I do blowing snow.

I know there are a lot of guys moving snow with deflated Ag's.

Now if it was a more normal winter and had a flat drive like some people I am sure I could run turfs with no chains and blow. But thats not the case for me. Chains are required.

Next winter should be a challenge. We will be in our new house by then and we have what will be a paved driveway coming off cul-de-sac and it drifts terrible in area where my truck is sitting.

On another note, hope no one is going to have deck troubles with taller tires. Seems my turfs are pretty close to deck with stock height??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	redtruck.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	93907  

1967 Original 110 Round Fender with model 80 cart
2010 2305 with 200cx loader
rrmccabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 09:10 AM   post #19 of 24
subeluvr
Banned!

MTF Member # 38223

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrmccabe View Post
I can guarantee you there is no way I could use turfs without chains and blow snow. I would spend as much time pulling the tractor out as I do blowing snow.
Ditto... turfs without chains blowing snow is slipperier than snot on a peeled onion.

Tried Carlisle AGs and they were underwhelming at any inflation pressure.

HDAPS work nicely in snow as long as you have sufficient weight, but I've had total success using turfs with 2 link chains. Dif lock is a nice ace in the hole but haven't needed it so far.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:52 PM   post #20 of 24
HydroHarold
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 82

Quote:
Dif lock is a nice ace in the hole but haven't needed it so far.
I've been depending on my dif-lock to keep me straighter plowing snow uphill this winter with my near baldy front turfs. It helps a great deal when angling heavy snow. I promised myself I'll have new tires befor next winter!
HydroHarold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 08:56 PM   post #21 of 24
tommyg
MTF Member

MTF Member # 38849

Is there any real difference between the "HD Field Trax" and "All Trail" models? Use would be snow blowing and mowing. Only real difference that I have seen is the ply level (although I am not sure what this means)...although how does the ply level compare to stock turf tires? I assume one is better than the other???? Help!
tommyg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 09:17 PM   post #22 of 24
subeluvr
Banned!

MTF Member # 38223

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg View Post
Is there any real difference between the "HD Field Trax" and "All Trail" models? Use would be snow blowing and mowing. Only real difference that I have seen is the ply level (although I am not sure what this means)...although how does the ply level compare to stock turf tires? I assume one is better than the other???? Help!
Since neither comes in all sizes you get the size you need and be happy. They are very similar in design and competence. If you use 24x12x12 you get Field Trax and if you use 23x10.5x12 you get All Trail.

There are 2 ply and 4 ply turf tires. Plain and simple it's the number of wraps of rubber in the casing. 2 ply gives a more supple ride but is more susceptible to punctures than a 4 ply. Usually OEM tires are 2 ply cause they cost less.

I run Field Trax 24x12x12 @ 6 psi all year round and in the snow with blower, but I have a set of the OEM X500 turf tires with chains in the back of the garage just in case.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:20 PM   post #23 of 24
tommyg
MTF Member

MTF Member # 38849

Sounds good...where could i find extra wheels for the tires (24x12.00-12)
tommyg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2010, 09:25 PM   post #24 of 24
subeluvr
Banned!

MTF Member # 38223

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyg View Post
Sounds good...where could i find extra wheels for the tires (24x12.00-12)
John Deere... new $98 each in your choice of yellow or yellow. You dealer might have a used pair.

You might luck out on Craigslist or eBay or post a WTB in the For Sale & Wanted to Buy forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.