Need to hook up a snow blower what do I need to check? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 02-10-2010, 03:53 PM   post #1 of 10
MADD Man
I LOVE Garden Tractors!!!

MTF Member # 2909
Help Need to hook up a snow blower what do I need to check?

OK. Well I think I am going to try out the snow blower because we already have 13 inches of snow and the plow is not doing it.

I have the small 32 inch tube frame model that spins free. What do I need to lube up before using it? The chain and what else? I have never engaged the PTO on the H16. What do I need to check for that? Can I test it with out an attachment on it first?

Looking for:
Hi/Lo pulley kit for a 64/65' Broadmoor
The winning powerball numbers
The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow
MADD Man is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 05:52 PM   post #2 of 10
nglauer
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 15243
Default Re: Need to hook up a snow blower what do I need to check?

"Need to hook up a snow blower what do I need to check?"

I was going to suggest checking for snow.. but you mentioned that you have 13". Welp, on a serious not i'm not sure. I figure someone will chime in. Also check for rocks.. I hear those bolens snowblowers are the ultimate rock chuckin devise.

Past Equipment..
Cub Cadet 2072 SGT
Cub Cadet 1811,128

Misc. Attachments:
Bolens Large Frame Tiller
Bolens Large Frame 54" hydraulic blade
Bolens Large Frame Snowblower
Bolens 54" Mower Deck

Tractors are a drug... and I am starting to become a user....
nglauer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 07:57 PM   post #3 of 10
oldyankeebarn1390
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 6050

Down load the manual for a 32" snow thrower probably model 18514-06, it's here on the Bolens forum. To verify that it is a 32/36" the chain drive to the augur is on the right facing the open end of the the snow thrower. The right angle gear box takw 90 wt gear oil. Actually I would recommend changing the oil, it holds about 4 to 8 ounces. The manual will also show how to hook up the snow thrower. Spray the chute with cooking spray, oil, WD 40 anything to make it slippery. Good luck. Oh yea, use low range - 2nd gear, throttle wide open. If it is heavy wet snow use low gear, powder use 3rd gear.

Good luck.
oldyankeebarn1390 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 09:07 PM   post #4 of 10
bstrucker

MTF Member # 18659

Check the tube that runs from the gearbox to the drive sprocket,it seems that I remember a grease fitting on that tube somewhere,theres a shaft that turns inside.Grease the u joints on the pto shaft also.
bstrucker is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 09:41 PM   post #5 of 10
mikeemc

MTF Member # 23330

air in the tires
mikeemc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 10:51 PM   post #6 of 10
C2H8O

MTF Member # 24612

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChic View Post
I have never engaged the PTO on the H16.
Got belts?

Never engaged it - hmmm - What is the condition of the current PTO belts, brand new or old, frayed, and cracked?

Engaging the PTO puts a large sudden strain on the belts and they may break and flap around your engine compartment, making a huge noise and tearing out all the wiring. DAMHIKT. (although if you searched for a thread "how to instantly remove all your wiring...)

Simple stuff - did you grease the PTO? Recently? Does it spin freely? Remove the plug wire, then crawl under and inspect and spin the PTO shaft by hand.

Now you can run the engine and test the PTO WITHOUT the blower. (Oh, yeah, hook up the plug wire) Start it up. The PTO should not spin if it is not engaged. If it does spin, then look in the manual how to adjust this. Gently engage it. Sounds good, no grinding? Engage - disengage - engage - disengage W00t! Shut down.

Check the blower.
Have you recently greased the u-joint connecting to the blower? Blower fittings? Turned the blower shaft by hand? OK, it's all good with no binding.

Now hook it up to the tractor. Wear gloves - there are lots of pinch points. Lots of band aid opportunities. I like mechanic's gloves and use them all the time on the tractor. Heavy SOB, ain't it?

Attachments should be operated at WOT, but some people reduce the rpms when engaging the PTO, then push it up to WOT. Supposedly it helps the belts last longer. I reduce RPMs engaging the rototiller, and it does emit less of an unearthly shriek when the belts slip and finally grab.

Do not engage the PTO slowly, it will not help. Don't slam it either. Just confidently engage it. Everything spins OK? Play with it a while, get a feel for driving with all that weight in the front. At least for me it was very different from a riding mower or a naked tractor. Up, down, engaged, not engaged, spin the chute control.

Play with it now because when you start chucking snow you really want to pay attention to where that grinder is pointed, you do not want to be distracted. You do not want a bush, your mailbox, or Rover sucked up and distributed 20 ft across the lawn.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:42 PM   post #7 of 10
MADD Man

MTF Member # 2909

Thanks guys. I may just hold off and struggle through with the plow. I don't wanna break something because I am in a rush. The PTO was used in the spring by the PO. So it has been used since 1976 The blower does spin free, but I would rather go through it in the spring and make sure all is well.

Looking for:
Old 02-11-2010, 10:14 AM   post #8 of 10
nglauer

MTF Member # 15243

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChic View Post
Thanks guys. I may just hold off and struggle through with the plow. I don't wanna break something because I am in a rush. The PTO was used in the spring by the PO. So it has been used since 1976 The blower does spin free, but I would rather go through it in the spring and make sure all is well.

If you can survive with the blade use it.. or if you feel confident that everything works go for it. If you have light snow you'll have less strain on everything.. however heavy wet snow may cause you troubles and help determine any weak links in your setup. I myself thought about pulling the blower outta the barn for my HT23, then I thought better about it.

1. it is buried really far in the back, and I would have to pull the 900, 850, 1050, two tube frame tillers, and 4 mower decks outta the way. Plus we have lumber stacked in front of all that stuff.. and its really really cold in there.... that and i'm sure any critters hibernating in there would be pretty pi$$ed off if woke them up

2. it hasn't been ran since I was a kid (atleast 15+ years since it ran last), on grandpa's HT20. I have a feeling it needs some major lubrication, and possible other stuff replaced. (that and i'm not sure if all the hardware is there to mount it) some may be in grandpa's garage.... which is like a treasure chest.. but only he knows where the treasures are lol

3. I'm pretty confindent that I could knock the neighbors windows out when i do my gravel driveway, possibly chew up the shrubs, find that dog tie out and garden hose that I didn't pick up when my wife said "pick those up", hit my all white jack russell terror...or suck up the neighbor hood kids.

After reviewing these.. I will be waiting till next year. It will be safer for everyone and everything I know lol.

Past Equipment..
Cub Cadet 2072 SGT
Cub Cadet 1811,128

Misc. Attachments:
Bolens Large Frame Tiller
Bolens Large Frame 54" hydraulic blade
Bolens Large Frame Snowblower
Bolens 54" Mower Deck

Tractors are a drug... and I am starting to become a user....
nglauer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2010, 01:59 PM   post #9 of 10
MADD Man

MTF Member # 2909

Well the dang H16 died today. It was running and I got stuck. Shut it down, dug it out and went to restart it and nothing, no click, won't turn over. The starter is new type with just the ground, so I don't know how to jump it. So now I need to move my wheels/weights/chains over to the 1050 and I am just gonna stick with plow till next winter or at least the next storm.

Looking for:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 08:39 PM   post #10 of 10
nsmith_nd
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 24982

Not familiar with the H16, but on the 1250 I've had two incidents where I thought...Uh-oh... First time I was playing with the PTO lever checking belt tension and such. Second time I had shut it off with the hydro lever in the Drive position. Both times I turned the key and absolutely nothing. I would have never guessed that safety switches existed on this old thing let-alone were functioning properly.

-Neil
nsmith_nd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.