Storing/using air compressor in cold garage... - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 02-07-2010, 11:34 PM   post #1 of 31
littletractorguy
The Mod from... Nowhere!

MTF Member # 36339
Garage
Default Storing/using air compressor in cold garage...

So, I was sitting down for my bi-monthly head shaving this morning, and I got to thinking about keeping my teeny-tiny Craftsman air compressor out in my garage for cleaning off/maintaining my teeny-tiny tractor (its not a big leap from trying to sweep my curly locks off the floor to thinking about blowing grass clippings/snow/dirt off various parts of my tractor is it?). However, right now, its probably -15 C. in the garage (that's like, 5 f). Is that going to have any ill effects on my compressor? Am I going to need to do anything special, like drain it each time I use it, so it doesn't get damaged? I just dunno, 'cause while I've used compressors, its always been either indoors, or the compressor has been indoors and the hose has run out to a cold zone....
littletractorguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2010, 11:40 PM   post #2 of 31
slip knot
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 35095
Default Re: Storing/using air compressor in cold garage...

I se a leaf blower to clean my equipment. Doesn't matter what the temp is.
slip knot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 11:45 PM   post #3 of 31
littletractorguy
The Mod from... Nowhere!

MTF Member # 36339
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip knot View Post
I se a leaf blower to clean my equipment. Doesn't matter what the temp is.
'Course, I ALSO want to use it to keep the tires inflated on the tractor, the bikes and the car.... Sorry, forgot to mention THAT bit...
littletractorguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 12:11 AM   post #4 of 31
Tencubed
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 31735

A lot depends on what kind of compressor you have. If it's an oil less one like the little one I use a lot then the cold won't make much difference. At least mine tolerates cold weather well. The bigger compressor in the shop is a different story. Like anything with a crankcase and oil to splash or pump around it gets kind of stiff in really cold conditions. I have a valve on the compressors output line I can open to relieve any back-pressure on the compressor and just let it run and freewheel until it's had time to warm up. If the system is down to zero pressure I don't bother to open this valve as the results are the same. I do this as much to protect the five HP motor running the compressor as anything. A frozen compressor and high pressure in the system makes for a hard start.

It's always a good idea to be sure the storage tank gets warm enough to liquify any ice that may have formed and drain the tank well.

Mike
Tencubed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 01:10 AM   post #5 of 31
KATT
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 34056

Never gave it any thought till now. I've have a 10 or 12 gal. with the little wheels. ( oil type ) been out there for 10 years and never had a problem.

Just bought a new one ( 13 gal.) last week ( oil-less) I use it to blow off the Snow Blower. Seem okay so far.
" 09 " X520 with 48" Deck, #44 Snow Blower, Weather Enclosure, Wheel Weights, Chains, drift cutter, Brush Guard, #36 Tow Behind Spreader, Single bucket holder, #7 #80 and #50 Trailers,
Previous JD's
"86' 318 #44 Front End Loader, #49 Snow Blower. TY15380 Hard Cab, Wheel weights Chains Weight box ( 6 suitcases ) "99"LX279 Liquid Cooled /48"Deck."87"SX95 / Rear Bagger, 165 Hydro, STX38, LX188. Toy a 175 Hydro #38 snow blower #38 mower deck
and of course

"87" JD 175
- Rusty -
KATT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 01:12 AM   post #6 of 31
NoTime
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 13621

I have to store my oil pancake compressor in my basement because it does not like to work when it is all below freezing. (I can bring it out into the cold and run it fine for a while) I suppose if I changed the oil to synthetic, it might do better..
NoTime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 01:41 AM   post #7 of 31
madmantrapper
All Fired Up

MTF Member # 26869

My sixty gallon lives in the shop which is not heated when not being used. It is always "on" and I 'm sure it starts often at or below freezing. Never thought about it much, but they do seem to last ten or so years. They are used frequently.
madmantrapper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 02:07 AM   post #8 of 31
go24go
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 35557

I have a 30 gallon in my garage that is not heated and have never given it any thought. I keep the power off when not needed, and it will loose most of its pressure over a month or 2 when not used. I have had it for 8 years with no problems though, It is an oilless unit I believe.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:13 AM   post #9 of 31
jed12674
Just Evil

MTF Member # 5129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencubed View Post
A lot depends on what kind of compressor you have. If it's an oil less one like the little one I use a lot then the cold won't make much difference. At least mine tolerates cold weather well. The bigger compressor in the shop is a different story. Like anything with a crankcase and oil to splash or pump around it gets kind of stiff in really cold conditions. I have a valve on the compressors output line I can open to relieve any back-pressure on the compressor and just let it run and freewheel until it's had time to warm up. If the system is down to zero pressure I don't bother to open this valve as the results are the same. I do this as much to protect the five HP motor running the compressor as anything. A frozen compressor and high pressure in the system makes for a hard start.

It's always a good idea to be sure the storage tank gets warm enough to liquify any ice that may have formed and drain the tank well.

Mike

While mine is only an 8 gallon and not as much HP, in the colder temperatures I also have to let mine warm up first. My compressor has a motor/pump combination that is oil filled. As Mike said, the oil less pumps seem to work better in the cold temps.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:17 AM   post #10 of 31
Ingersoll444
ex spelling bee champ

MTF Member # 16

Just make sure you drain the tank, and you should be fine.

Visit The Case Ingersoll Colt Forum.

SUPER Of The Month 10/2011
Ingersoll444 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 05:57 AM   post #11 of 31
slkpk
USMC

MTF Member # 37

Shouldn't be a problem thats where I've kept mine for the last 17 years and in the winter it works fine. slkpk
It's too late to worry about it now!

slkpk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 06:45 AM   post #12 of 31
Bill56
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 28733

My garage isn't attached to the house. I always had trouble with my compressor in the winter and had to store it in the basement. It's a twin tank portable unit... or it used to be. I say that because my back no longer lets me carry something that heavy up and down stairs. So I bought a length of hose (galvanized pipe would be better) and ran it across the ceiling, drilled a hole through the 2X8 box and siding, then used a short length of 1/2 inch pipe to get to the outside. I put an elbow outside (facing down) with another short pipe nipple, and then an air hose coupler. If you use hose, like I did, instead of the galvanized pipe, you'll need to clamp the pipe and hose coupler in some way. My house has wood siding, so I just used a spacer behind the downward facing pipe on the outside of the house and secured it with a conduit clamp. It works great and didn't cost much to get the job done.
Bill56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 07:00 AM   post #13 of 31
Denm
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 33977

My garage is not always heated and my compressor does fine. It has some slow starts when it is -10C to -20C but so do I at those temps. I just try and keep tank drained.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:07 AM   post #14 of 31
johndeere
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 207

I have a 25 gallon oil pump type.I drain mine after every use year around.Because that gets the water out of the tank and because I have seen what happens when a compressor tank blows out and took out a friends wall and damaged a car.

Also because I do not want it cycleing on and off with the switch on.Local guy went on vacation and his gas heater pilot light went out and filled the shop with gas.His air compressor kicked on and there was a massive explosion.Cracked windows in my house 1 mile away.Blowed them out of his.

Also I start my compressor in colder weather and let it run to warm up before closing the drain valve.Puts less stress on the motor.I do not start mine when its that cold.But if I had to I would warm it up with a heater or a heat lamp.But if mine was small like yours I would just take it in the house and let it warm up first.
johndeere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 08:20 AM   post #15 of 31
savageactor7
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 18371

Pretty sure ours is an 8gal...I use it when it's real cold but never leave it full of air. Why? ...I dunno.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.