Parts availability for David Bradley 2 Wheel tractors?? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

2-Wheeled Tractors Two wheeled David Bradley/Gravely type equipment

Old 02-05-2010, 05:59 PM   post #1 of 41
bignastyGS
Lunatic Drag Racer

MTF Member # 34419
Default Parts availability for David Bradley 2 Wheel tractors??

Now that I am closing in on finishing my sons 800 and his 108 Cubs, I have finally decided to do a mini resto on my David Bradley 2 wheel tractor. My grand dad bought this at a sale for 5 bucks many years ago and gave it to me to mess around with. In 1980,I had a small engine repair class and we took it in and got it running. My dad and I used it in the gardens several years and also plowed much,much snow with it. I used it till the late 90's and put it in my moms garage. It's been sitting patiently beside my 1941 JD H tractor,waiting for me to build a new garage. Now my garage is close to done, I have decided to bring Conan home. The original motor is missing and some of the original pieces. It has the rubber on it from forever as well as a set of chains. I still have the front plow as well as the cultivators for it. The current motor is toast and needs replaced. I would really like to locate a cheap rebuildable AU8 original type motor,but most likely will try to mount the 3.5 hp Briggs on it. I was wondering if there is anyone or a supplier for parts for them? Ebay has minimal pieces,but few and far between. I am also needing the paint codes for the frame and hood red as well as the green for the wheels. Any pics that could be supplied so I can see what I am missing or need would be appreciated. If anyone would like to share,my email is
pdharmon@tds.net I was wondering about availability of manuals as well. My model number is 57561,and the series is 251. I have been researching it and found some good info about it so far. An helpers??

Cub Cadet 1200
John Deere 165 Hydro
1941 John Deere H
1970 Buick Skylark 464 cid racecar
bignastyGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2010, 07:11 PM   post #2 of 41
truckguy
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 36112
Default Re: Parts availability for David Bradley 2 Wheel tractors??

Here is a pretty good link for them.
http://members.lsol.net/GOP4EVR/
What kind of parts do you need?
Kyle
1940 Farmall H, 1947 farmall cub, 1958 David Bradley SP, 1964 cub cadet 70, 1965 Bolens 1000, 1966 cub cadet 123, 1973 Mf 12, 1993 Ranch King GT 18/46, 1970 Ford F-350, 1969 F-250 1968 F-350, 1968 F-250
truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2010, 07:18 PM   post #3 of 41
bignastyGS
Lunatic Drag Racer

MTF Member # 34419

For one offhand,I am needing a throttle cable with handle. I am unsure as to whatever else I may need. I am hoping to get it hauled here in the next week or so and then do more researching and see what else could be missing..

Cub Cadet 1200
John Deere 165 Hydro
1941 John Deere H
Old 02-05-2010, 07:19 PM   post #4 of 41
attorney_barnabas_collins
MTF Junior Poster Esq.

MTF Member # 7575

http://www.davidbradley.net/

They have some ideas on paint and a lot of info there.

Yours is a 51-53 with a continental engine originally.
attorney_barnabas_collins is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 02:09 PM   post #5 of 41
truckguy
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 36112

I think I have a throttle cable with handle. I have one parts tractor left.
http://members.lsol.net/GOP4EVR/tractors.htm#57561
Kyle
1940 Farmall H, 1947 farmall cub, 1958 David Bradley SP, 1964 cub cadet 70, 1965 Bolens 1000, 1966 cub cadet 123, 1973 Mf 12, 1993 Ranch King GT 18/46, 1970 Ford F-350, 1969 F-250 1968 F-350, 1968 F-250
Old 02-06-2010, 08:15 PM   post #6 of 41
bignastyGS
Lunatic Drag Racer

MTF Member # 34419

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckguy View Post
I think I have a throttle cable with handle. I have one parts tractor left.
http://members.lsol.net/GOP4EVR/tractors.htm#57561
Kyle
Any idea what you'd have to have for it? Mine is missing after dad removed it and tossed it years ago...

Cub Cadet 1200
John Deere 165 Hydro
1941 John Deere H
Old 02-06-2010, 08:40 PM   post #7 of 41
6279 Lawn Boy
GramPa

MTF Member # 25099

NICE LOOKING MACHINE

[QUOTE=bignastyGS;1005221]Now that I am closing in on finishing my sons 800 and his 108 Cubs, I have finally decided to do a mini resto on my David Bradley 2 wheel tractor. My grand dad bought this at a sale for 5 bucks many years ago and gave it to me to mess around with. In 1980,I had a small engine repair class and we took it in and got it running. My dad and I used it in the gardens several years and also plowed much,much snow with it. I used it till the late 90's and put it in my moms garage. It's been sitting patiently beside my 1941 JD H tractor,waiting for me to build a new garage. Now my garage is close to done, I have decided to bring Conan home. The original motor is missing and some of the original pieces. It has the rubber on it from forever as well as a set of chains. I still have the front plow as well as the cultivators for it. The current motor is toast and needs replaced. I would really like to locate a cheap rebuildable AU8 original type motor,but most likely will try to mount the 3.5 hp Briggs on it. I was wondering if there is anyone or a supplier for parts for them? Ebay has minimal pieces,but few and far between. I am also needing the paint codes for the frame and hood red as well as the green for the wheels. Any pics that could be supplied so I can see what I am missing or need would be appreciated. If anyone would like to share,my email is
pdharmon@tds.net I was wondering about availability of manuals as well. My model number is 57561,and the series is 251. I have been researching it and found some good info about it so far. An helpers??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	David Bradley Bike Blossoms 009.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	91984   Click image for larger version

Name:	David Bradley Bike Blossoms 010.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	91985   Click image for larger version

Name:	David Bradley Bike Blossoms 011.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	91986  
6279 Lawn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 08:46 PM   post #8 of 41
truckguy
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 36112

Let me dig it out and see what it looks like and I will let you know.
Kyle
Old 02-07-2010, 04:09 PM   post #9 of 41
truckguy
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 36112

Also http://www.davidbradley.net/ has a manual for that tractor. Yours is a super power and they have the ball lock clutch.
Kyle
Old 03-14-2010, 06:33 PM   post #10 of 41
bignastyGS
Lunatic Drag Racer

MTF Member # 34419

Started the deconstruction today and overall,I need a few parts,but its pretty solid yet. I need a set of grips for the handlebars,a choke cable,a sediment bowl and fuel line,maybe the rear saddle bar, and other parts for a Continental motor. I have been doing research about these and know it's a Super Power. It has the gas tank with the 2 circles on it,which the Continental motors came with.but, I am absolutely positive this tractor had the B&S motor on it when I got it.It looks just like to ones that have the B&S on them on the DB sites I visited,so who knows??? I am planning on taking the parts I can to work and use the parts washer. Since the gear box is in good working order,I am letting it intact and painting it as is when I get it all cleaned up. I know they didn't primer these from the beginning,but will the primer hold up and make a better job? I need to do some severe cleaning on the handle bars and motor plate and will paint and re install as they are finished. The wheels scare me as they are pitted and rusty. I don't know if they can be cleaned up enough to look good. Since they are a main focus point,I may have to consider getting better ones..I am at least on the road to recovery so that bridge will be crossed when I get there. I am hoping to have the machine cleaned up,painted and ready for a motor by May some time.

Cub Cadet 1200
John Deere 165 Hydro
1941 John Deere H
Old 03-15-2010, 11:42 AM   post #11 of 41
Springfieldm141972
MTF Member

MTF Member # 28489

The wheels on my tractor had the hub plate cut out to install 15" rims.(My father refused to pay for 16" tires...)

I took one of the hub assemblies to a local used tire wholesaler and started digging through the piles of rims. I found a set of 16" Willys jeep rims to fit it. I don't know if the CJ series will fit or not but its worth a shot. Many old farm implements used the same bolt circle as well.

One suggestion, save the carburator and intake pipe from your engine. In order for a modern 3.5 briggs to fit under the hood, you will need to use these parts.

If you want a Continental engine your only option other than an original is to find a DECO engineering motor. They are surplus miltary and do come up for sale still, although not that often.

I hope that some of this helps.

Everett
Springfieldm141972 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2010, 07:09 PM   post #12 of 41
bignastyGS
Lunatic Drag Racer

MTF Member # 34419

This should get some laughs...Maybe not though. About 1981,when I was a senior in high school,I took mt DB to shop class. The clutch wasn't engaging. Since I had no idea where to get info about these tractors, I had to improvise.Dad was ready to send old DB to the scrapper since we had no idea where we could get a clutch disc. Little did I know until recently that they actually have 2 discs. I was fond on the old DB and didn't want to see it terminated. So, we ended up making a clutch disc on our own. It seemed that mom had new linoleum installed in her kitchen and there was a few small pieces laying around. I took a piece,traced the original clutch disc on it and used scissors to cut it out. Dad laughed at us and was content to keep the notion it was going to be scrapped,but we fooled him. Just tonight,I removed the clutch and this is what I found...A piece of moms kitchen floor history...

Looks like I am in need for a couple clutch discs now...

Cub Cadet 1200
John Deere 165 Hydro
1941 John Deere H
Old 03-15-2010, 07:42 PM   post #13 of 41
truckguy
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 36112

Looking good.
Kyle
Old 03-15-2010, 07:59 PM   post #14 of 41
KPate
After Hours Garage

MTF Member # 38482

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignastyGS View Post
Started the deconstruction today and overall,I need a few parts,but its pretty solid yet. I need a set of grips for the handlebars,a choke cable,a sediment bowl and fuel line,maybe the rear saddle bar, and other parts for a Continental motor. I have been doing research about these and know it's a Super Power. It has the gas tank with the 2 circles on it,which the Continental motors came with.but, I am absolutely positive this tractor had the B&S motor on it when I got it.It looks just like to ones that have the B&S on them on the DB sites I visited,so who knows??? I am planning on taking the parts I can to work and use the parts washer. Since the gear box is in good working order,I am letting it intact and painting it as is when I get it all cleaned up. I know they didn't primer these from the beginning,but will the primer hold up and make a better job? I need to do some severe cleaning on the handle bars and motor plate and will paint and re install as they are finished. The wheels scare me as they are pitted and rusty. I don't know if they can be cleaned up enough to look good. Since they are a main focus point,I may have to consider getting better ones..I am at least on the road to recovery so that bridge will be crossed when I get there. I am hoping to have the machine cleaned up,painted and ready for a motor by May some time.
Pat,

For the choke cable, mine broke and I wound up using wire found at a hobby and model shop and fabricated mine similar to the original (wire coathanger could be used, but is a tad soft). What is wrong with the sediment bowl? Bowl gaskets dry rotted? If so just grab some gasket cork and make a new bowl gasket. If the glass is broken I have some extras laying in my parts bin.
KPate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 08:37 PM   post #15 of 41
bignastyGS
Lunatic Drag Racer

MTF Member # 34419

It would be nice if I had any of the parts needed.The choke cable is MIA as is the sediment bowl. I have a bowl in my garage,but the hole is too big to fit on the nipple. My gas tank is rusty inside but I put some 2B stones inside and shook it. I was amazed at how 156 minutes made it look inside. I am contemplating buying some of the Eastwood gas tank repair in it. It apparently seals the inside of the tank. I have several friends that have used it in their antique cars with excellent results.A mechanic at work says you can buy the inner as well as outer parts of the cables,but I am in need of the actual handle itself..
BTW, your tractor looks totally sweet. What paints did you end up using on it? Would you suggest using primer underneath it? I know mine didn't have primer from the beginning..

Cub Cadet 1200
John Deere 165 Hydro
1941 John Deere H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.