Farmall Super A - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 02-01-2010, 06:59 PM   post #1 of 12
fonz3482
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 33346
Help Farmall Super A

Hello everyone,
I am looking into purchasing a Farmall super A from a guy that I work with. He had it listed over summer on CL for $1500. He didnt sell it and has offered it to me for $900. Im new at the farm tractor purchasing game. I just bought a house with 2 acres and could use a machine for plowing snow, and pulling a trailer. The guy has stated to me that it does use alittle oil, and will need some gaskets, and seals that slightly leak. He says the previous owner used r.t.v. to try to fix the leaks but it still leaks alittle. Anyway, my questions are:
1- is this a good machine for the work I stated above?
2- how hard is it to find attachments for it?
3- how many horsepower is the machine
4- Is there a difference between a farmall A and a super A?
5- Are parts easily found to repair these machines and are they reasonably priced?
I offered the guy $600 for the machine, as is. He said he would think it over. If he is willing to part with it should I grab it for that price? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou!!!
fonz3482 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 07:06 PM   post #2 of 12
Justin Helterbrand
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 22855
Garage
Default Re: Farmall Super A

If he will take $600 i would grab it while i could. My granpa bought one new in the 40's and hasent done a thing to it exept put new paint and tires on it.They are good tractors and should push snow and do odd jobs just fine.
-Murray 12/38
-Belknap Bluegrass
Justin Helterbrand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2010, 07:11 PM   post #3 of 12
P B G

MTF Member # 31016

well lets get backwards

Parts are fairly easy to find and reasonable, these tractors are popular, and quite a few were made, the letter series farmalls are good tractors. And they are pretty easy to work on/with all things considered. Making them popular for collectors and as projects.

The biggest change between A and Super A is improved hydraulics. Otherwise pretty similar.

Horsepower wise about 16 horse, but don't think of that like lawn tractor 16 horse, these are real 4 cylinder engines.

2... The attachments are more of the game. The standard pull behind stuff with a tongue and a pin will fit and are easy enough to find. However more specific stuff can be harder to locate, so if you are hoping to have one with a bucket, or a plow its best to buy one that has it already.

1. For snow plowing, if you get one with a front blade they are decent. Otherwise look around to see if you can find those implements before you purchase the tractor.

If its 600$ heck if its 900 and has good rear tires and runs I'd probably buy it.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2010, 08:57 PM   post #4 of 12
farmallb99
MTF Member

MTF Member # 18449

Fonz, check this link out. It will give you alot of the basic specs and info on the Super A.
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-trac...l-super-a.html
farmallb99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2010, 09:15 PM   post #5 of 12
fonz3482
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 33346

thanks guys for the info, Im going to look further into the machine tomorow. Im not so worried about the leaks, im just worried about the using oil part. I dont really want or have the time to rebuild the motor. I'd love to do it, but my house and work consume most of my time these days. If I buy it I will post some pics. Wish me luck!
fonz3482 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 03:15 PM   post #6 of 12
tractor_freak
luv old tractors

MTF Member # 28155

I got one, it has a cracked block. You can never tell by looking at it ofcourse, and the tractor sounded great when it ran. but the block is cracked and I cannot find one in north america! Most parts are easy to find and I here they are great tractors. If the block is cracked it is worth nothing and you will not know untill it is opened up........ Most folks that have farmalls love them! that is why I got one...... Mine may cost me more money to get it to the junkyard than the junkyard will pay for it. it might become my new rifle target! Anyone that needs parts should let me know before I finish making my reloads!

I have an old ford 3000 as well.... i will never by a old tractor again
tractor_freak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 03:39 PM   post #7 of 12
P B G

MTF Member # 31016

tractor_freak if your tractor is otherwise in good shape I suggest you hold off and keep an eye for a parts super A. THey do show up.

Otherwise I'd suggest putting your tractor up for sale for parts, someone will want it. Heck if the rubber is good on the thing that's worth quite a bit of money by itself.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 04:00 PM   post #8 of 12
redFarmallboy
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 37240

I would definitely pay $900 for a Super A even in fairly rough condition it would be worth it. Especially if it runs pretty good. Expect to put some money into fixing it up but it would be well worth that.

<-- He must've heard a John Deere!

Hmmm... I can't see anything out in that green field but it sounds like someone just lit off a barrel of firecrackers!
redFarmallboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 04:12 PM   post #9 of 12
armchair
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 34567

If you are worried about attatchments just put a three point hitch on.My Dad has one on his Super A.Keep in mind,a lot of newer models, use parts that innerchange with older tractors.A Super A is very similar to a 100 and 140,maybe others.
armchair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2010, 09:27 AM   post #10 of 12
patterdale
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 27283

I have had a 1940 hand crank model A since 1981 or so. I wouldn't trade it for anything. magneto-manual lift-bare bones. Came with a 1 bottom plow, cultivator, and trailing sycle mower All for 900$ and I had to figure how to get the freeze plug back in the rear of the engine without fully splitting it in 2. Over the rears I have added an alternator, lights, starter, and starter rod. The using oil thing is not that big a deal just make sure you keep adding. I have to "check the gas and fill the oil" once in a while. If you want to push snow count on getting some chains for it. I have a front plow that I fabbed up for it and it works fine to a point. You have to push the first snow back as far as you can so you have room later in the season.
patterdale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 10:29 AM   post #11 of 12
tractor_freak
luv old tractors

MTF Member # 28155

Quote:
Originally Posted by P B G View Post
tractor_freak if your tractor is otherwise in good shape I suggest you hold off and keep an eye for a parts super A. THey do show up.

Otherwise I'd suggest putting your tractor up for sale for parts, someone will want it. Heck if the rubber is good on the thing that's worth quite a bit of money by itself.
Actually the mechanic tells me she will work just fine with the small crack in the block and I think I got a line on a donnor tractor for another block.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 09:28 AM   post #12 of 12
tractor_freak
luv old tractors

MTF Member # 28155

Well just got my farmall super A back from the shop, and of course it won't run. I am so mad I can't see straight! Ripped off again! The mechanic is name "bobby agee" of agee's tractor in Virginia. He promised me a running tractor (w/ cracked block of course) and it will not run at all. The delivery person just rolled off the trailer when I wasn't there. Parts and implements for these tractors are very hard to come by in Virginia. Unless you are rich don't mess with those old farmalls.... We have two fords and we have only spent $150.00 on service (TOTAL)! The farmall may be worth money in parts, but I will enjoy blasting it with my riffle much more than the few dollars I will get for the parts, will be making a bloody good mess of it this weekend! I will leave the gas in it, maybe we can spark a fire!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.