What is difference in a Kohler K532 and K582? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Small Engines and Repair

Midwest Mower Pro

Old 01-31-2010, 01:39 AM   post #1 of 7
hankll
Old Iron......Forever

MTF Member # 35652
Default What is difference in a Kohler K532 and K582?

I have a bad 582. I just acquired this Bolens so I don't know how long the PO may have run the engine while it was "knocking", before he shut it down. I know it doesn't take too long to do a bunch of damage. The problem is a broken piston rod in #1 cylinder. What is the difference in a 532? Is it the carburetor? As I understand, it is 19-20 hp and as far as application would likely have been in a HT20 Bolens. Some JD's had them too. Probably others. I like to just find a complete used engine. A new K582 short block, is pretty sky high on prices.
hankll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 06:48 AM   post #2 of 7
horizontalpower
Banned!

MTF Member # 28048
Default Re: What is difference in a Kohler K532 and K582?

good luck finding that engine without first taking a second mortgage
horizontalpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 02:11 PM   post #3 of 7
motobike
Happy To Be Here

MTF Member # 36969

HankII,
I don't have the internal differences in front of me; but I can tell you they are the same on the outside. But I am not familiar with the Bolens application at all.
I have 2 John Deere 400's. They came with the 532; and I have the original in one. I bought another one and it has a 582, that came out of a stump grinder, in it. The JD 400's were sold as super garden tractors when new, and this was their workhorse engine.

The JD's did have different exhaust location, but that was a year change in them not the engine. A different exhaust outlet location prompted that.

From what I gather the 532 was marketed by JD at 20hp; the 582 I have seen it at 23hp and also 25hp in different books.

I bought the second JD for parts for my other one, because it had this rebuild 582 in it; but I use them both.

OK,That said: Parts are almost nonexistent for that engine, or too expensive to rebuild it now. That is why I stocked up on parts. When either one goes, that will be curtains for that engine, I am sure.

By the way, they both run the same, great low end power, look the same, except for exhaust. A good engine in it's time, but outdated, and too expensive to fix now. I'm not sure if pistons and cylinders(removable) are even available. I like mine but will repower with a new something or other when something happens.

We don't quit playing because we got old; we get old because we quit playing.
motobike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 04:32 PM   post #4 of 7
Ken in NJ

MTF Member # 284

I am going to check .. but there is a guy who used to sell on e-bay that sold rebuild kits for the 532 and the 582 .. I believe they were around 400 bucks .. I will look and see if he is still there if your interested
Ken in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 09:55 PM   post #5 of 7
rhenning
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 4880

582 engines have more cubic inches than a 532. In Kohler language 532 means 53 cubic inch 2 cylinder motor and 582 means 58 cubic inch 2 cylinder engine. Not sure if its bore or stroke or both but they are not the same internally. For what its worth the 532 in the JD 400 was more than 20 HP but JD rated it down 19.9 HP because in 1975 when 400s came out a garden tractor with 20 HP or more was supposed to have ROP. Roger
rhenning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2010, 01:46 AM   post #6 of 7
hankll
Old Iron......Forever

MTF Member # 35652

Well, I found out the difference is 2 7/8 bore in the 532, and 3" bore on the 582. So I was trying to see if it was just a change of carbs that did it. But getting a 532 would be an entire re-bore of a full 1/8", new pistons/rings and might as well put new rods in while you are at it. The exercise for me was to see if I could widen my horizon for a replacement block for my 582. I will just get mine apart and check for any major damage. I'll probably need to bore it, over size because of the rod flopping in there. Hope .030 will cover it. I don't know how much oversize these engine blocks will allow. New pistons and rings, and at least one rod, but may as well replace both. So in this case, I'll just have to find someone reliable to do the bores, and check crank tolerances. I hope I can find someone who isn't on the gold standard.
hankll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 11:13 AM   post #7 of 7
rhenning
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 4880

The biggest pistons Kphler makes are .030 for any of their engines. Roger
rhenning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.