Coywolves are becoming a pain in the AS% - Page 4 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 01-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #46
Walt 2002
Senior MTF Poster

MTF Member # 1229
Default Re: Coywolves are becoming a pain in the AS%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamataco View Post
If you want to get rid of the ones that are hanging around get some cheap hamburgher and soak it in antifreeze. Break it up into a few handfulls and spread it out. That way maybe the same Coyote won't eat it all.
I certainly have no objections to getting rid of coyotes, but that is really asking for big time trouble - jail time.

Walt Conner
Walt 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #47
skou
MTF Member

MTF Member # 36031

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamataco View Post
If you want to get rid of the ones that are hanging around get some cheap hamburgher and soak it in antifreeze. Break it up into a few handfulls and spread it out. That way maybe the same Coyote won't eat it all.
Im not having a problem with the killing of a pest, but the method using antifreeze, i think is crossing the thin line between getting rid of a annoyance and plain cruelty

if you gotta kill them use a gun
skou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #48
Wizard99
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 13982

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss12 View Post
we have em running the woods behind us. never feared for our saftey though. our dog runs em off when they are around. i've never heard any humaN attacks any where near here. every now and again a cat or dog. i wouldnt be too worried, try hunting em sometime. they dont want to be anywhere near people.
I heard attacked and killed a girl in east central illinois

Wizard99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #49
johninMd
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 35615

just wanted to add that it seems most area's seem to have small coyotes? here in Md where i am, they look like a skinny german Shepard, or close to it. Way bigger than a fox.
And mountain lions? another thing the DNR refuses to say are a plenty. I saw one like 15 years ago while bow hunting. And now, they are seen or heard quite regular. My nephew lives on the border of some pretty deep woods, looked out his back door one day, and about 100 yards into the woods, sat one on a rock looking his way. So far no problems with them.
Ok, i dont know if the coyotes were released around here for sure, maybe not. But they are every where now regardless.
I dont hunt anymore so i cant say if they are protected without looking it up, but i wouldn't doubt it.
johninMd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #50
Wizard99

MTF Member # 13982

ours are about 3 times the size of a red fox. mush smaller than a grown shepard.
but there are a bunch of them. need to get me a call

Wizard99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #51
KHodges
AKA Moses Lawnagan

MTF Member # 23296

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6279 Lawn Boy View Post

Coyotes are generally not considered a serious threat to humans and eat very small mammals and an occasional injured deer. The coywolf will prey on larger mammals, often eat deer, and should be taken somewhat more seriously.
I'm sorry, but I can't accept that a wild, opportunistic canine that travels in a pack and is capable of taking down an animal twice its size presents no "serious" threat to humans. I suppose then that the highly domesticated pit bull also poses no "serious" threat, all evidence of attacks on its owners and others to the contrary.

Quote:
Several characteristics differentiate coywolves and coyotes. The coyote is smaller than a standard german shepherd, while a coywolf is larger. A coywolf often travels in a larger pack. The sounds they make are different, more harmonious, more like wolves.
If it weren't for humans, hundreds and even thousands of years ago, the domestic dog wouldn't be much different than these animals. Letf to interbreed without input from humans, domestic dogs would soon resemble these animals, too. The pack mentality to a wolf, or coyote, or mix of both just means security and a sure meal. In numbers, they have little fear of humans, unless it is proved to them that humans can be very dangerous. The best way for us to prove that is to kill them every time they get within range.
Otherwise, they will continue to encroach further into "human" territory, just like deer will stay in an area they know is safe to them from hunters.

I had a confrontation with a "standard" coyote last summer while mowing at a neighbor's. He showed absolutely no fear of me, one-on-one, and approached to within 10 feet of me, even on a noisy garden tractor. He was trying to get past me and through a gate in a fenceline. I continually charged him with the machine until he gave up and returned the way he came. If only I had my pistol with me..... one less coyote.
Power Flow and MC519 cart
LP RTR0550 rototiller
?? 60" box blade
Simplicity 10" plow adapted to 3-pt hitch
45 FEL

'02 JD GT235, 48C deck

'86 JD 214, 46" deck

I've always had a problem with kleptomania.
When it gets really bad, I take something for it.
KHodges is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #52
P B G

MTF Member # 31016

Do people do pipe traps near you? A guy I know uses his post hole digger to make a hole about 4 or 5 feet deep on a slight angle, then he uses black plastic pipe about 10 or 12 inches in diameter into the hole, which the pipe sticks above ground about a foot, then he puts bait in the pipe, supposedly coyotes climb down the pipe for the bait and then cannot back out. He then goes out and pops the coyote in the rear with a .22 short for minimal pelt he damage. He says it works and catches them.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #53
SammyRye
MTD 990 Twactor Guy

MTF Member # 25153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat385B View Post
We are having the same problem in MN with cougars. The latest one was recorded on a police dash cam and the DNR still downplayed it.
Yup - We had the same thing happen here in Wisconsin. Bunch of bear hunters were out running their dogs this fall and they treed a cougar. They called back and got ahold of the local Wisconsin DNR warden, and he and a wildlife management guy met them and went to where the dogs had the cat treed. Yup - there it was, but the DNR still didn't believe it was a cougar. Tried to tranquilize it 3 times, and missed 3 times! (Maybe that's why they're "wildlife managers", eh?)

Anyway, they treed it 3 more times, and the bear hunters finally called off the dogs (and the DNR). Made all of the local papers and WCCO in the Cities. The DNR (that standes for Darn Near Right) still wouldn't admit the cougars were moving back into the area.

We have several large packs of grey wolves all over northern WI, more coyotes than I've ever seen in the past, and even a black panther or two have been sighted.

BTW - after this year's deer hunting season hype by the WDNR about the large deer population and the poor harvest, they're (the Darn Near Right) are considering taking another deer population survey. Before they do that, they're going to put notices in all the papers to have all hunters take down their deer bow targets and all residents remove the deer ornaments from their yards - don't want to confuse that survey crew, now do we!

Very interesting and enjoyable thread - hope everyone stays safe out there!

Rich

1973 MTD 990 (Silver) 16 hp B&S Single
1982 MTD 990A (Red) 16 hp B&S Single
2003 Craftsman LT2000 22 hp B&S Twin

Reduce - make do with what you have,
Reuse - give it new life by being creative,
Recycle - if you can't use it, maybe someone else can!

http://www.wunderground.com/US/WI/La...typeclick=big2
SammyRye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #54
D-Dogg
The Magnificent

MTF Member # 20164
Garage

Don't count on a German Shepherd handling a pack of coyotes, wolves, or coywolves. The wild animals are skilled hunters, and will take out the biggest, meanest "pet" skillfully and quickly.

Back in Colorado, the coyotes would smell my shepherd when we were out camping and drive her nuts howling, trying to get her into the woods.

If your province allows it, shoot them or trap them. We can hunt coyotes on private land year round here with the owner's permission.
D-Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 10:13 PM   #55
olcowhand
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 529

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dogg View Post
Don't count on a German Shepherd handling a pack of coyotes, wolves, or coywolves. The wild animals are skilled hunters, and will take out the biggest, meanest "pet" skillfully and quickly.

Back in Colorado, the coyotes would smell my shepherd when we were out camping and drive her nuts howling, trying to get her into the woods.

If your province allows it, shoot them or trap them. We can hunt coyotes on private land year round here with the owner's permission.
Well, that's what I've always heard...they'd take down darn near any dog, but my Son's dog just loves fighting with them. There almost always are 3 or 4 against him, but he comes back wagging his tail...he simply loves it! He has thick hair, so that protects him I figure. Josh (my Son) hears them howling & barking way out in the field on the moonlit nights & tries to catch his dog, but that dog won't stop. He watches them roll & fight. He can't believe how he doesn't get hurt either.
BTW...these are medium to large coyotes here. For over 5 years there's been an albino coyote here, but not seen it this year.
And yes, we can hunt them year round here, or allow anyone else to hunt them also.

http://gardentractortalk.com/
olcowhand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 11:19 PM   #56
ff14007
working on the funny farm

MTF Member # 28099

thats why i like pa game comission, you can get rid of as many as you got shells for. but there have been sightings of "big cats" that dont exist. but talk to athens township pd. it layed across there tahoes hood. but game commision said " that wasnt shot here, you brought it in" when the pd shot it out of my friends tree with my 30-06 at 11:30pm, that was a fun night.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:19 AM   #57
Grateful11

MTF Member # 5025

A guy that helps some here on the farm has killed 2 so far. These coyotes
are pretty darn bold, one walked right through where we were loading round
bales last year and got out about 200 yards and just stood there and watched
us. Wish would have had a gun with me. I'm not going to put up with them
around our calves, if they come around and I take them down it's going to
happen.

This one was a female not sure about the first one.

'91 CaseIH 5140 Maxxum w/cab
'78 IH 686 w/M&W Turbo 106 PTO hp w/canopy
Grateful11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2010, 04:41 AM   #58
6279 Lawn Boy
GramPa

MTF Member # 25099

It is too bad their troublesome, if you didn't know better, they'd seem no more harmful than many other critters. Just a nuisance instead of a menance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful11 View Post

This one was a female not sure about the first one.

6279 Lawn Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #59
NSBolens
an effin canadian

MTF Member # 26559

6279 lawn boy, what are the rules and regs about coyotes in nova scotia? nuisance animal on private land... can't find anything on the dnr website, be nice if it was like saskatchewan...

EDIT:

Nevermind, i found it when i searched again, they are considere "other harvestable wildlife", and can be shot year round with no bag limit. all you need is a general hunting license to pop em off.

if you want to trap or snare them, you need a trapper's license, and can only do it from october through march.

Last edited by NSBolens; 01-27-2010 at 09:13 AM.
NSBolens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #60
Grateful11

MTF Member # 5025

We like watching the wildlife as much as the next person but these Coyotes
are a menace and I'm sorry they have to go. We see deer, groundhogs,
hawks, buzzards, raccoons, etc. The groundhogs are usually taken care of by
our dog, he walked up with one last year, it must have weighed 15-20 lbs. He
loves killing mice, rats and groundhogs. There's a lot wild turkeys around here
but we've never seen them here on our property.
'91 CaseIH 5140 Maxxum w/cab
'78 IH 686 w/M&W Turbo 106 PTO hp w/canopy
Grateful11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.