added winch to lift snowblower - Page 3 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 01-27-2010, 12:45 PM   post #31 of 50
Paranoid
Senior MTF Member

Location: That which does not kill me will probably hurt like hell
MTF Member # 1981
Default Re: added winch to lift snowblower

Cool idea.

Not Correctly Restored 1970 Stingray................
Paranoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2010, 11:39 AM   post #32 of 50
pfrenet
MTF Member

MTF Member # 20094

I have the bercomac 48" blower with electric winch, but it needs a redesign, probably would work better if it had the same setup with a pulley. I am replacing the winch a 2nd time, Berco replacing free, even though the warranty was over...there is just too much stress on the cable and winch when it tries to raise blower.

The winch doesn't take much power, I acutally have extra lights on the tractor (YTH2454) and with all lights on there is no dimming when the winch is used.
pfrenet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 12:41 PM   post #33 of 50
92merc
DGS 6500 - North Dakota

MTF Member # 18495

What is failing on your Berco? The cable or the motor? Just curious so I know what to look for in case mine has issues.

BTW, just glancing at your motor, it looks like a different brand than mine. I just bought my Berco NE 48" this summer.
92merc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 01:21 PM   post #34 of 50
pfrenet
MTF Member

MTF Member # 20094

The first winch failed due to melting. The muffler on the YTH2454 blows directly at the winch. The winch had plastic inserts, Berco fixed this problem by replacing winch with metal inserts. I also made a heat shield to protect the winch.

The second winch failed due to the motor failing, it worked well for the first season, but this season, I noticed it was not lifting blower at the same speed until it got warmer, finally it just stopped working. This was caused by stress as the cable is pulling to hard to raise the unit, making the motor work harder. Unfortunatley they havn't come up with a fix for that. However I did notice that the Champion winch that I use while waiting for the new winch from Berco, works much better, it seems to handle the extra stress.

Probably in the Spring I will look at setting it up a different way to limit the stress on the cable. I have replaced the cable a few times due to breakage.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:22 PM   post #35 of 50
Tencubed
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 31735

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfrenet View Post
The first winch failed due to melting. The muffler on the YTH2454 blows directly at the winch. The winch had plastic inserts, Berco fixed this problem by replacing winch with metal inserts. I also made a heat shield to protect the winch.

The second winch failed due to the motor failing, it worked well for the first season, but this season, I noticed it was not lifting blower at the same speed until it got warmer, finally it just stopped working. This was caused by stress as the cable is pulling to hard to raise the unit, making the motor work harder. Unfortunatley they havn't come up with a fix for that. However I did notice that the Champion winch that I use while waiting for the new winch from Berco, works much better, it seems to handle the extra stress.

Probably in the Spring I will look at setting it up a different way to limit the stress on the cable. I have replaced the cable a few times due to breakage.
From your description of the failure I would guess your angle of lift is way to shallow. Your picture also indicates this. At the shallow angle you have the cable running the leverage advantage the implement has over the winch is
considerable. If you raise the winch to allow it to pull more up rather than back it will reduce the load on the winch dramatically. You may consider adding a mast of sorts that routes the cable from the winch up and over a pulley and back down to the blower. The addition of a block on the blower will cut the lift speed in half and reduce the load on the winch by nearly as much.

Something is seriously wrong when a winch rated for 1000 Lb. or more static pull is burning out and breaking cables while lifting a blower that weighs less than 500 Lbs. I really think a winch capable of breaking it's cable is doing it's part and the application needs to be re-engineered.

Mike

Last edited by Tencubed; 01-28-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Tencubed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 07:22 PM   post #36 of 50
pfrenet
MTF Member

MTF Member # 20094

Actually the winch is rated at 2000lbs. But I agree with you that the winch sits too low. Thats the design flaw with this setup. I raised the winch up and when hooking up to blower, realized the cable would not work with this setup as it hits the main pulley.As you see in the picture, the pulley is too close to where the cable goes..they should have place the hookup away from the main pulley.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:00 PM   post #37 of 50
Engine267
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 38435

pfrenet, would you be able to post some pictures of you additional light you have in the Husquvarna forum. I would like to add more light to my YTH 2448.

2005 Husqvarna YTH2448, 24hp 48" Cut Hydro
Husqvarna 3 Bin Bagger
Sleeve Hitch
Argifab Culivator
Argifab Box Blade
Plug Cutter
48" Snow Blade
40" Craftsman Snow Blower
Engine267 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 09:10 PM   post #38 of 50
wowbw7
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 16669

i run 3 of the harbor freight winches on my john deere 285 for snow pushing. 2 on the front blade (1 for up/down, 1 for left/right swing) and 1 on a second blade i angled off the back of the tractor at about a 45 degree angle to push the snow off the edge of the driveway so it doesn't blow in so bad next time it snows. works quite well. just plug in the trickle charger when i'm done and have had no problems. get the winches on sale for $39 minus 20% with coupons.
wowbw7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 09:56 PM   post #39 of 50
locknut
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 6727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencubed View Post
The reversing action of the winch is controlled by reversing polarity to the winch.

The concern about voltage spikes may be valid but I've used these winches on a number of quads and never had a problem with the electronics on them. Don't think I've ever had one powered from an engine like is found on a GT.

It's a really good idea to have a fairlead, cuts down on cable wear and winch damage. For really short lifts, like shown with the snow blower, it works well to use a block as illistrated to slow down the rate of lift. Quite hard to control otherwise. I use a block on the quad I plow snow with for that same reason.

I doubt if you will have a problem with battery drain if your charging system is putting out five amps or more. You will be running the tractor at fairly high RPMs so should have no problems.

Undersize wire is the single biggest problem I have seen people have with these little winches. You can usually get by with #10 but #8, stranded copper, shows a marked improvement in performance IME. Good, solid crimped connections work well, soldered connections are better IMO.

Having a sleeve hitch receiver on each end of a machine makes using the winch super handy. The pendulum control shown, as I posted before, has proven to be very reliable and handy for moving the winch around from one end of the rig to the other and from vehicle to vehicle for that matter. I know folks that hook the winch to the battery with good quality charger clips and use the same winch on all their quads. I've also seen these little winches mounted on a plate with a couple of short lengths of chain attached. Makes for a handy tool in lots of circumstances.

But, again, I ramble.

Mike
I wanted to do a quick and dirty switchover from the actuator setup on the plow to a winch,so I used the wiring that was already in place.I use those short two-wire leads with the connectors on each end that plug into each other so I can make different length runs for different actuator applications on the tractor.I believe they are 14 ga.Anyway,I held the joystick back a little too long and popped a 20amp fuse.This was a pain as the winch and front panels on the cab have to be removed to get the hood up and change the fuse.I bought an auto-reset type relay and put two red markers on the plow that I can see as it comes above the hoodline and know when to stop.The winch is ten times faster than the actuator-I like it

Last edited by locknut; 02-19-2010 at 10:12 PM.
locknut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 10:07 PM   post #40 of 50
locknut
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 6727

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowbw7 View Post
i run 3 of the harbor freight winches on my john deere 285 for snow pushing. 2 on the front blade (1 for up/down, 1 for left/right swing) and 1 on a second blade i angled off the back of the tractor at about a 45 degree angle to push the snow off the edge of the driveway so it doesn't blow in so bad next time it snows. works quite well. just plug in the trickle charger when i'm done and have had no problems. get the winches on sale for $39 minus 20% with coupons.
Hey,newbee

Got some pics of that setup? Especially the winch layout for the angle swing?
locknut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 11:18 PM   post #41 of 50
pen3n30
MTF Member

MTF Member # 21758

I put one one mine too ,blowers are heavy.I beefed up the angle and one more spring ," upgrades" .t The block slowed it down so it's easyer to control.I don't have a grill so it's mounted to tractor and can use it for blade also.Other changes where to add another 200#+ wiegth box on the back to counter the blower.Got ideas for box off this forum it works great.I wa]nted the wieght to be able to fit inside or out side but have been useing them inside so as not to take to much wiegth off steering. /DSCN1093.jpg//DSCN1104.jpg
//DSCN1091.jpg
/DSCN1100.jpg trying to ad pics. The springs are so there is give when the blower hits the stops.
pen3n30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2010, 11:50 PM   post #42 of 50
pen3n30
MTF Member

MTF Member # 21758

Trying again to add pics of winch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1091.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	93583   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1093.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	93584   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1100.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	93585   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1104.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	93586  

Old 02-20-2010, 12:00 AM   post #43 of 50
pen3n30
MTF Member

MTF Member # 21758

Need to take updated pics This is my fist year with new atachments so working out bugs as I go.Live on a private road and have have used this to pull cars out with this , The 450# of weigth helps alot.Still not done with it yet as I find what works , The only thing that is bad is the reseting breaker is going bad on the winch.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:53 AM   post #44 of 50
pepilapeau
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 36605

These little winches are pretty handy. Here is my setup.

Wizard 18/39
and lots of other junk
pepilapeau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 01:01 PM   post #45 of 50
wowbw7
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 16669

Hey, Locknut, here's some pics of my setup. note the rubber bottom edge on the rear blade. did that to save on the grass on the edge of the driveway. unit works quite well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blade1a (594 x 495).jpg
Views:	98
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	94033   Click image for larger version

Name:	blade2 a(594 x 495).jpg
Views:	139
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	94034   Click image for larger version

Name:	blade3a (594 x 495).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	94035  
wowbw7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.