Recommendations for TV service - cable, DishNetwork, DirectTV - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Computer and Electronics The Geek Garage: Computers, Audio/Video, and any thing else electronic forum...

Old 01-20-2010, 10:19 AM   post #1 of 27
MacLawn
外人Geezer MTF Member

MTF Member # 6284
Default Recommendations for TV service - cable, DishNetwork, DirectTV

We moved, and left Comcast, so now are needing TV service in new digs. Never used satellite for TV, but kind of leaning toward DishNetwork after doing some online research. What do you guys like and use? Cheaper is better, and we want news, documentary, travel, outdoor, etc. Sports is not important - can get enough of that already... thanks.
Dirt, it's nothing but dirt, I tell ye...

"I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major Jim

http://www.mytractorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=780993&stc=1&d=1398926  159
MacLawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2010, 11:12 AM   post #2 of 27
Jim_WV

MTF Member # 241
Garage
Default Re: Recommendations for TV service - cable, DishNetwork, DirectTV

I personally like cable, we have Suddenlink in our area and they bundled all my services into one, phone, cable & internet. I had researched into Dish Network too as they had some enticing prices and more HD channels than our cable provider has at the moment. What turned me off was having to agree to a 2 year contract with Dish Network if I went with them, and then having to worry about the price increasing and having no recourse to do anything about it.

Best of luck into your quest for a provider, and just make sure you get all the answers you need and read the fine print before committing to something .
Jim_WV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010, 11:31 AM   post #3 of 27
MacLawn
外人Geezer MTF Member

MTF Member # 6284

Thanks, Jim; right, I've been researching online a good bit, and reading fine print there too. I just wish we could get reception with regular old rabbit ear antenna! Tried the newer digital antenna, but had to take it back. Looks like they (i.e., somebody - gubmint maybe) have us locked in

"I thought I was wrong one time, but I was mistaken." Command Sergeant Major Jim

http://www.mytractorforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=780993&stc=1&d=1398926  159
Old 01-20-2010, 11:54 AM   post #4 of 27
david doyle
Banned

MTF Member # 8803

Quote:
I just wish we could get reception with regular old rabbit ear antenna!
Have you considered not having television? I know it is a radical departure from the norm but it makes life better. try it for 6 months you'll find you have more money, time, better family relationships and more brain power.

We ditched the idiot box years ago and would'nt have it any other way now. It is an addiction. (like MTF but with out the bebefits)
david doyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010, 11:58 AM   post #5 of 27
MacLawn
外人Geezer MTF Member

MTF Member # 6284

Good idea! Drop the one-eyed demon! Actually, all we watch is some news, and I do like travel, documentaries, history, and things like that. We'll see; I am almost retired, so life is changing a tad from raising kids days...

Old 01-20-2010, 12:00 PM   post #6 of 27
jeepersmitty
Retired Aug.31 2007

MTF Member # 6130

I switched to Direct TV from Suddenlink and could not be happier. More channels with better quality at half the price of Suddenlink.

I always know...
God won't give me more than I can handle
There are times I just wish He didn't trust me quite so much.
jeepersmitty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010, 12:22 PM   post #7 of 27
freebird
Camaniac

MTF Member # 63

DirecTv HD here, I've had direct for almost 20 years, the FEW times I've had problems (their fault) they would comp me with free channels for 3-6 months. Good people. the have or did have a special the if you join and give a subscribers' account # Both receive 100 bucks.
JD RX73
Sears 16/6

If you can't fix it with a hammer, it must be an electrical problem!
freebird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010, 12:23 PM   post #8 of 27
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

Comcast are theives,IMO...get you hooked on a "special offer",then jack up the rates after the "trial period" expires..their latest "ZING" to us was getting us to switch to the "digital economy" package,it gives a few additional digital channels than "basic" or "expanded basic"--then last month they go "all digital",and ONLY people with the 2 "basic" channel packages get up to 2 additional "digital converters" so your old analog TV's will still work on ALL the channels..us saps who switched to "Digital Economy" have to RENT an additional digital cable box for EACH tv,at 7.50 per month in order for your TV to work--otherwise you only get the first 22 channels out of 100+!..they also DROPPED several of the channels we liked from the digital economy line up the same day they went "all digital"..NO refunds,its MORE than it cost when we first switched now,for LESS channels,and now only ONE TV hooked to their cable box gets ALL the channels we pay for!...aftermarket digital boxes wont work with Comcasts signal either,so you have NO alternative but to rent their boxes..welcome to Nazi television....

I think its a bit much to have to pay 100 bucks or more a month,just to watch a TV,when most of the programs suck or are repeated constantly..but we have little choice,"over the air" digital stations wont come in for squat here either..its pay the ransom,or go without!..
Tractor-Holic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010, 12:26 PM   post #9 of 27
saleen49
Super Duper Member

MTF Member # 21045

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLawn View Post
Thanks, Jim; right, I've been researching online a good bit, and reading fine print there too. I just wish we could get reception with regular old rabbit ear antenna! Tried the newer digital antenna, but had to take it back. Looks like they (i.e., somebody - gubmint maybe) have us locked in
Do some research on FTA. I haven't messed with it in a while, but it is a free and legal way to get basic TV using a satellite dish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-to-air

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." Thomas A. Edison
saleen49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010, 12:46 PM   post #10 of 27
johndeere
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 207

Cable is not an option for me out here in the Country.I have Dishnetwork and have had it for about 11 years.Works for me and I have 4 sets hooked up on 2 different recievers.My main reciever has a DVR built in so we always have something to watch.I have HD on my main set and subscribe to HBO and Starz.We watch a lot of movies and with the DVR you just mark what you want to see and watch when you want.I also have WildBlue as my internet provider on a seperate Dish.But its all thru Dishnetwork so its only one bill and sold as a bundled deal.

I here a lot of people saying theres nothing on.Mostly the older crowd im 49.Sometimes that does seem true but I find a lot I like to watch.I like the History channel, and the Home Improvement stuff, RFDTV, Movies,I could careless for any kind of sports however.Unless its a tractor pull .I think the reason so many do not like TV these days is they do not like the fact you have to pay for it.But they will drop 50 bucks in a bar or in a resturant and not think anything of it.I stay home so it a good value.
johndeere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010, 06:40 PM   post #11 of 27
Phoenix125
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 31145

I have used Dish Network on and off for 15 years. Their prices are usually better than Direct TV and I've never had a problem with their service. My father has the HD package (with 2 DVRs) and loves it.

The only times I've had my signal go out is when there's a HUGE thunderstorm 30 miles - 90 miles south of us. Being in Michigan, we have to aim the dish pretty far south. The farther south you live, the stronger your signal should be. Here we use 18in dishes... in Canada, I often hear of 24 or 32 in dishes.

FTA (Free To Air) satellite does offer some very basic programming and requires a bit of effort for the user. It's fun to tinker with, but doesn't really offer much that I'm interested in. Then again... it's been 3 years since I tinkered with FTA. Maybe there's better stuff out there now.
2009 JD 2305, FEL w/ 53" Bucket & hooks, 54" MMM w/ Ind. Lift, Hydraulic Diverter, & JD Mulch Kit, 12v Port 1 & 2, (3) ROPS Lights, JD Ballast Box w/ Reese Hitch mod, JD 60" Back Blade, Harbor Freight Quick Hitch (27.5" due to old implement), Bro-Tek Skid Plate, Markham Welding Tooth Bar, Wallace 5' Box Blade, Frontier GM1060R Finish Mower, EZmover Hitch, Harbor Freight Winch, Clamp-On Pallet Forks from eBay, CountyLine Carry All, Agri-Fab Speader, Precision Dethatcher, County Line 5' Landscape Rake, Fimco 15gal 2.1 GPM Sprayer, TSC 48"x24" Roller, Precision Spreader, CountyLine 3pt Post Hole Digger
My 2305 & 200CX Maintenance Schedule Check List: PDF Excel
Phoenix125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010, 06:45 PM   post #12 of 27
bullashe
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 30117
Garage

save the money and buy tractors with it
http://www.mytractorforum.com/album.php?albumid=1743
bullashe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010, 06:47 PM   post #13 of 27
89YT12
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 35873
Garage

i got directTV, had them since the 18" dish came out (it cost $2000 lol now you can get them FREE) and love the customer service, also got a tivo (DVR) as soon as the offered it, and couldnt have tv any other way

i mainly watch travel, all the discovery channels, TLC, speed, and spike (only sat morning power block)

directTV still has refer a friend

89YT12 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2010, 07:03 PM   post #14 of 27
smithrngr
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 5639

we had time warner for 20 years and the dervice sucked we went to direct for awhile and it was always in and out went back to time warner then to dish for 4 years then back to time warner then got dish again last year time warners bill went up about 25 bucks in just 1 month.where getting more stations and hd on 1 set with dvr for less money than time warner.and we have 3 tv hooked up 2 hook up to the hd/dvr set and 1 in the bedroom the kiddo's arn't old enuf only 14,12,10 they don't need a tv in there yet.bed time is bed time,we only watch for 15min to a hour a night so really don't need it in the bedroom but i like to watch and relax for a few.
1989 w/h 520-hc
42" brinly sweeper
brinly plow
36" w/h tiller
175lb jd/brinly spreader
stihl fs56-rc
smithrngr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 09:51 AM   post #15 of 27
MacLawn
外人Geezer MTF Member

MTF Member # 6284

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullashe View Post
save the money and buy tractors with it
Well, that's about the best suggestion!

I went with DirecTV; they come to install it next Friday. Did a bunch of research before deciding, and I hope it will be good. At least I will save some money over Comcast. Apartment living now, so not much tractor time here . But, closer to my hunting/fishing buddy, and he has a great tractor, couple of horses, etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.