Frustrated! Case 446 Clutch Issues - Page 2 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 01-18-2010, 07:30 PM   #16
Kcunningham
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 34268
Default Re: Frustrated! Case 446 Clutch Issues

If you are mechanically adept you should take the clutch off and reassemble it, taking note the the cam and bearing assemblies have to be put on a certain way when reassembling it. You should study how the adjusting nut and adjusting nut guide work in concert with the nut that compresses the beveled washers. It took me several times to get it put back together the right way, but in doing this i came to understand exactly how it works. I could have never understood this by just looking the parts diagram.
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2010, 04:30 AM   #17
Bart
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 8013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgoalie View Post
I am not stopping the engine from turning while torqing the bolt. I hold the 1 3/4 bolt in place with a wrench while tightening the hex bolt....

Maybe this is the problem....
When you torque it that way you're likely turning the large adjusting nut instead of the nut you're trying to torque.
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010, 08:37 AM   #18
dpgoalie
MTF Member

MTF Member # 22365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
When you torque it that way you're likely turning the large adjusting nut instead of the nut you're trying to torque.
That makes sense. However, this is how I interpreted the manual. How do I keep the engine from turning?

Thanks in advance....
dpgoalie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #19
Bart
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 8013

Remove the hose between the air filter housing and the flywheel housing then you can stick a large screwdriver in the ring gear.
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #20
dpgoalie
MTF Member

MTF Member # 22365

Quote:
Originally Posted by david doyle View Post
sorry I was confused by this:

How is the plastic bushing where the clutch lever passes through the tractor frame?

When I had mine apart I initially got it back together in correctly and was frustrated to know end by it till I realized that two pieces I thought were identical were not.

Are your spring washers fresh?
I have searched several sites that sell Case parts but was unable to find the plastic bushing......The spring washers are not fresh.......
Old 01-19-2010, 01:44 PM   #21
Caseguytoo
Banned!

MTF Member # 7029

We are fortunate in having Brian Hildreth here as an MTF member. His screen name is bhildret. Search some of the recent threads and find him. Click on his name and you will find a way to either e-mail or PM him.

Brian is an Ingersoll dealer and a very helpful one at that. You will not find very many parts listed at on-line stores. They only post the ones that are common to a wide number of models and years as well as being fast moving items. Give Brian you model and serial number and he will sell you whatever parts you need.

If your plastic bushing (referred to by David) is worn out, then replacing it is a good idea since we are talking low cost. As for your clutch, until you finally realize that a clutch is a high-wear item that does not last forever, you are going to have problems. If you want your clutch to work properly, then you have to replace worn out parts.

To figure out which parts should be replaced, a total dismantling of the clutch is required. Until then, you're just spinning your wheels.
Caseguytoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010, 07:06 PM   #22
dpgoalie
MTF Member

MTF Member # 22365

OK! We got over 4 inches again today and I readjusted the clutch again using the recommendations that I have received. I was able to do the whole yard without any issues. I did not change any parts but feel that I definitely should do some maintenance on the clutch.

However, the 2 pulley wheels under the tractor that the belts go on are rubbing together and sparking. I'm not sure how to adjust these...Should I start a new thread.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #23
Caseguytoo
Banned!

MTF Member # 7029

No.... a new thread isn't necessary.

Remove the belt.

Check both idlers for any side play. They should not move even a hair when you try to wiggle them sideways.

Look for bent hardware. Do the pulleys run true when you spin them? Do the run nice and free? Are the pulley mounts bent?

Are you sure that you are using the correct belt? If the belt is too long, then the pulleys are in the wrong position. How about the tension spring? Is it stretched out or are the coils tight together when it is relaxed?

What about the mule drive mount? Any sign of damage?
Caseguytoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #24
dpgoalie
MTF Member

MTF Member # 22365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseguytoo View Post
No.... a new thread isn't necessary.

Remove the belt.

Check both idlers for any side play. They should not move even a hair when you try to wiggle them sideways.

Look for bent hardware. Do the pulleys run true when you spin them? Do the run nice and free? Are the pulley mounts bent?

Are you sure that you are using the correct belt? If the belt is too long, then the pulleys are in the wrong position. How about the tension spring? Is it stretched out or are the coils tight together when it is relaxed?

What about the mule drive mount? Any sign of damage?
I checked all of the items that you listed and they SEEM fine and correct. For some reason I decided to push down hard on the idler arm and it made a hard clunk sound. This pushed down on one of the idler wheels and freed them from being stuck together. They no longer rub and spark. Not sure what this was a symptom of.

Everything works now!

Thanks guys!

Maybe I will begin restoring it this summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #25
lawnmower man
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 33966

If you have had the clutch apart, make sure that the two bearing carriers and installed with the center slots offset (one up one down) when you put your operating lever between them. This is what gives you your squeeze when you operate the pto lever. It will work if they are both in the same direction but your adjustment will be extremely critical and won't hold. having adjusted lots of these over many "improvements" made by case I can say easy adjust my #%&*.
lawnmower man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.