power assisted, power, hydrostatic, and hydraulic steering?? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 01-16-2010, 01:14 PM   post #1 of 5
nglauer
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 15243
Default power assisted, power, hydrostatic, and hydraulic steering??

Can someone tell me a little bit about the kits that bolens offered, and then provided in later years for the large frames. I'm curious what category they fall under, along with how it worked. My cub 2072 SGT had power steering.. but I don't remember seeing any type of "steering box/valve thing" in the steering column.. I would like to create a kit for mine eventually, but need to know the cheapest way to do it. I don't want to spend 300-800.00 on something on ebay that I might be able to piece together slowly over time. Does anyone know who made the kit for bolens originally? or was it a bolens exclusive item? did any other manufacture offer the same unit.. or similar that might pop up online for less?

I also found this kit for a yanmar.. it's more than I can spend.. but reasonable compared to some stuff i've seen.

http://www.best-used-tractors.com/po...d_steering.htm

Does anyone make a universal kit for GT's?

Thanks for the help.. I want to learn as much about hydraulics as I can between now and when I get my hands on a loader. I want to make sure that I have power steering before I add any more weight to the front as well. It amazes me how much difference the tractor has with the mower on vs. off.. so I can only imaging how hard it gets with a loader on.

Thanks,
Nick

Past Equipment..
Cub Cadet 2072 SGT
Cub Cadet 1811,128

Misc. Attachments:
Bolens Large Frame Tiller
Bolens Large Frame 54" hydraulic blade
Bolens Large Frame Snowblower
Bolens 54" Mower Deck

Tractors are a drug... and I am starting to become a user....
nglauer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2010, 03:37 PM   post #2 of 5
larryccf
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 28340
Default Re: power assisted, power, hydrostatic, and hydraulic steering??

if you go to the GT2000 (5120H) manuals - either the svc manual or the parts manual had a decent schematic of the optional power steering system offered for it

when checking the manual, first set of pages will be for the manual steering set up - then following pages will detail the power steering set up

and sorry, don't remember which manual had it, but i'd check the parts manual first
basically, at bottom end of steerig column, was a steering control valve (the nearly identical one is for sale on the surplus centers web for $199)

steering column had u-joints at both ends to pull the steering column closer to operator at the bottom end

hydraulics were plumbed "in series" (i'm borrowning electrical term there) off the hydrostat pump/motor

hope that helps
larryccf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2010, 06:05 PM   post #3 of 5
bhts
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 35910

I'm not sure who made the power steering for the bolens but brantly made one that looks very simular to the one i have.I will be removeing it from a 1886 that will be going on the tractor i am restoring and can post some pics of the setup if you want.

Bolens HT23
Bolens HT20
HT20D
1886-01(restoring)
Brantly Backhoe
Johnson Loader
54 Inch Deck
54 Inch blade
Tiller
Haban Sickle Mower
bhts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2010, 06:17 PM   post #4 of 5
LPBOLENS
Nine Year Site Sponsor

MTF Member # 857

The Large Frame Bolens power steering was a cylinder (with internal valving) that replaced the the drag link from the steering sector to the front tie rod. It was plumbed into the hydraulics off the hydro. It is actually a pretty clever set-up, but I am not aware of any other makes that used the same cylinder in the same way. You might ask someone like Samsbolens. I know he has routinely tried to track down original manufacturers for things so he could offer them for sale to the Bolens freaks.

Bolens:1254, G14, H14, Whirly Rake, generator; 1250 (2), 1455, 1886, HT20, HT20D, HT23 (4), typical attachments, Danuser post hole digger, Haban Sickle-Mo, Johnson FEL,forklift, Brantly backhoe; Cozy Cab; GK (2) 72" decks, dozer blades, snowblower; Ridemaster 35AB01, sickle mower, disc harrow, grader, hitch; Power Ho (3), sulky, snowcaster, air compressor
Bush Hogs: D4-7, D4-10 (parts), D4-12, plow blades & MMM (Want the 42" trail mower!)
Massey Ferguson: MF12 (1967), MMM
LPBOLENS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2010, 09:35 PM   post #5 of 5
nglauer
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 15243

I haven't seen a cylinder with the valving built in available online. I thought my Cub 2072 was made like that.. but I must be wrong. From what I have seen online it has a valve inside the steering column. I just know that I miss it alot... especially mowing with the heavy deck under the HT23. I can only imagine how much worse it'd be with a loader.

Bob, will you post pictures of yours when you have a chance. Does it need rebuilt? if so you should take detailed pics so they can make a sticky on the rebuilding process.

Nick

Past Equipment..
Cub Cadet 2072 SGT
Cub Cadet 1811,128

Misc. Attachments:
Bolens Large Frame Tiller
Bolens Large Frame 54" hydraulic blade
Bolens Large Frame Snowblower
Bolens 54" Mower Deck

Tractors are a drug... and I am starting to become a user....
nglauer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.