Kawasaki v-twin 18 hp. - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 01-09-2010, 11:51 PM   post #1 of 6
Deere 235
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 37201
Question Kawasaki v-twin 18 hp.

I have i John Deere gt 235 and just the other year ago in the winter months i started having trouble with the engine surging,now just today when i went to use it to plow snow it would not start,so when i checked the carburetor it had a layer of ice in the bottom in front of the choke flipper,so i cleaned it out and sprayed carb cleaner in the carb and after that got running but it surged badly so i shut it down and waited a few minutes and it ran fine after that but i wanted to see if anybody else has ran across this problem either with this model tractor or this engine and how to solve the problem.
Deere 235 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 06:13 AM   post #2 of 6
Herd of Deeres
Certified Master Tinkerer

MTF Member # 32443
Default Re: Kawasaki v-twin 18 hp.

I don't know if there are any specific design issues for your model but if I had the same problem on my single-cylinder Kawasakis I'd start with finding out how ice is getting into the carb there as water first. Check for damage to the intake. Drain the carb float bowl and change the fuel filter. You may have crud jamming the float. Throw some Stabil or dry gas into the tank to clean up any water. Always store it with the tank full to avoid tank condensation.
1963 John Deere 110

Deerely DeParted:
1969 JD 110 H DeereZilla

On to Greener pastures:
1969.5 JD 110H FrankenDeere
Herd of Deeres is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2010, 08:16 AM   post #3 of 6
rrmccabe
I color outside the lines

MTF Member # 34789

Maybe your tractor needs a bra too

The surging and letting it sit (warm) and then running fine is a good indication of moisture in the system. The warm motor sitting thaws the icing.

I agree with Herd. I would dump something in the tank to remove moisture and then go from there if it continues.

1967 Original 110 Round Fender with model 80 cart
2010 2305 with 200cx loader
rrmccabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2010, 08:40 AM   post #4 of 6
Dave Shaver
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 5946

I'm starting to not like Stabil. I seem to get a surge at the mid range on the throttle but nowhere else when no Stabil. Add Stabil and its more pronounced. Fresh gas again and its better. The JD dealer told me the red Stabil doesn't work in ethenol, use the blue one.
I think mine is a governor adjustment required but get worse with Stabil. I'm gonna use my Seafoam next time or some dry gas. This 10% ethenol crap seems to be screwing a lot of small engines up. It soaks up moisture and that could be your icing problem. I have found operating the Kawasaki FD590V 18hp liquid cooled for 20 years that the carburator is quite sensitive to anything other than absolutely clean and adjusted properly.

Just my opinion,
Dave

1998 345 w/48" deck and a spare 48" deck, 44" Piranha deck, 42" thrower, 48" blade, two 30" tillers, Johnny Bucket JR.

1967 Simplicity 2010 w/blade, very heavy roller, thatcher, aerator

1978(ish) Simplicity 7016 w/ 20hp Kohler Command including 50 amp alternator to run lights, wiper and heater for steel cab, 36" thrower mod. to 42", 42" deck
Dave Shaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2010, 10:35 AM   post #5 of 6
Deere 235
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 37201

Thanks for the suggestions i'm going to try filling the fuel tank and add dry gas to it because i've been storing it with only around1/4 tank so it looks like that could be causing my moisture problem.
Deere 235 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 10:48 AM   post #6 of 6
rscurtis
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 25367

You're probably a victim of carburetor icing. Try to find a way to get warm air to the carburetor, even if you have to remove or bypass the air filter. An air filter is not required for snow removal, as there is no dust in the air.
rscurtis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.