How to secure rider/prevent theft - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 01-06-2010, 09:00 PM   post #1 of 62
cugrad
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 33601
Default How to secure rider/prevent theft

I only have a two car garage with no shed or anything like that. I am about to have another car at the house so I was considering storing my rider (a Simplicity Broadmoor) on the back porch. It would be out of the elements but I'm concerned about theft. Is there any reasonable way to secure a rider w/o being able to chain it to something permanent like a flagpole? Sorry, I'm new to riders and therefore not familiar w/ the products that are out there. My mower needs a key to start but I assume that every key is exactly the same and therefore provides no real security. Thanks.
cugrad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 09:04 PM   post #2 of 62
P B G
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 31016
Default Re: How to secure rider/prevent theft

You should do something like run a chain through a wheel and around something like the axle or the other wheel.

The thing is heavy enough that people won't just casually walk up and carry it off, so make it so it won't roll.

Another option if your porch is wood would be to put an eyebolt down through a backing plate and then you'd have a makeshift lock point.

Your right about the key, don't know if they are all exactly the same, but I bet there's only a few, and besides, I could probably hotwire your tractor in less than a minute. Its like with boats, the key is just a deterrant from petty thievery.

Seriously a chain through the wheel is just like a boot on a car. It makes it very inconvenient to do anything with it.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 09:17 PM   post #3 of 62
cityboy2977
ordinary average guy

MTF Member # 35943

just make it so the machine has to be lifted to be stolen.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:21 PM   post #4 of 62
ss12
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 32891

a piece of flat stock, weld another piece perpendiculer(make a "T"). on the other end drill a hole to put a padlock in. then run thru 1 wheel then thru the other, then lock. wont roll away 4 sure. also. how bad is it down there that GT's are gettin jacked?!
Old 01-06-2010, 09:26 PM   post #5 of 62
steddy
Living the Dream Again!

MTF Member # 19882

I think if someone is ballsy enough to venture on the back porch for the tractor, a little extra lock cutting isn't going to bother them.

How'd you get your screen name?
(Click Here)
steddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 10:04 PM   post #6 of 62
Bill O'Rourke
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 20987

Smith and Wesson....
Bill O'Rourke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 10:07 PM   post #7 of 62
Tencubed
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 31735

This is a constant concern of folks at campgrounds with their quads. There are various cable lock systems available that will slow thieves down but thats all it does. Gives you time to respond. Some cables have alarms on them that make a heck of a racket if the quad is moved or the cable cut.

Chains, cables, big oversize handcuffs and all sorts of devices help to make the rolling stock more difficult to remove. Don't thing they won't just pick it up and pack it off as four or five motivated thieves can pack of a $10,000.00 quad really quick.

When in a camp ground with my quad I put it on the trailer, run a solid hardened steel bar thru the trailer wheels side to side and lock the bar with a padlock that is set back in a pocket that prevents getting to it. The quad is locked down by a really heavy hardened chain that has two 4" lengths of schedule 80 pipe welded on the ends. The chain goes thru the quad over the engine and transmission and down thru the trailer deck where the bar that locks the wheels slides through them. The tongue has a hitch lock that encases the front of the hitch plus a padlock that locks the hitch itself. The whole mess is then chained, again with hardened chain with a pocketed padlock, to a convenient tree, vehicle or other fixed object.

Sound like overkill? Maybe, but three years ago my quad stayed home and two smaller quads with just a cable lock on them disappeared just two camps away. They were the easiest to get as they had the least security.

You can't stop a determined thief but you can make it difficult enough for them at your place that they will go somewhere else. Here at home I have motion detecting lights that come on when something roams into range. They all have a horn that comes on with the lights that blasts for a few seconds. Kind of bothersome at times but the aggravation is way less than having stuff stolen.

Mike
Tencubed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 10:45 PM   post #8 of 62
ss12
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 32891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencubed View Post
This is a constant concern of folks at campgrounds with their quads. There are various cable lock systems available that will slow thieves down but thats all it does. Gives you time to respond. Some cables have alarms on them that make a heck of a racket if the quad is moved or the cable cut.

Chains, cables, big oversize handcuffs and all sorts of devices help to make the rolling stock more difficult to remove. Don't thing they won't just pick it up and pack it off as four or five motivated thieves can pack of a $10,000.00 quad really quick.

When in a camp ground with my quad I put it on the trailer, run a solid hardened steel bar thru the trailer wheels side to side and lock the bar with a padlock that is set back in a pocket that prevents getting to it. The quad is locked down by a really heavy hardened chain that has two 4" lengths of schedule 80 pipe welded on the ends. The chain goes thru the quad over the engine and transmission and down thru the trailer deck where the bar that locks the wheels slides through them. The tongue has a hitch lock that encases the front of the hitch plus a padlock that locks the hitch itself. The whole mess is then chained, again with hardened chain with a pocketed padlock, to a convenient tree, vehicle or other fixed object.

Sound like overkill? Maybe, but three years ago my quad stayed home and two smaller quads with just a cable lock on them disappeared just two camps away. They were the easiest to get as they had the least security.

You can't stop a determined thief but you can make it difficult enough for them at your place that they will go somewhere else. Here at home I have motion detecting lights that come on when something roams into range. They all have a horn that comes on with the lights that blasts for a few seconds. Kind of bothersome at times but the aggravation is way less than having stuff stolen.

Mike
when we ride away from home and camp, i run grade 100 1/2" chain thruogh all our chassis's and then loop it through the chain pockets on my roll back bed, then put the chains and tailboard of the bed into the ground. we ride badlands alot and dont know of any getting stolen from the camp but i wont be first
Old 01-06-2010, 10:50 PM   post #9 of 62
apmonte
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 3101

How about something like a Denver boot? At least they wouldn't be able to roll it out after cutting a cable or chain.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DENVE...Q5fAccessories
apmonte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 10:53 PM   post #10 of 62
ss12
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 32891

if you can bolt cutter my 100 1/2" chain i'd be REALLY impressed
Old 01-06-2010, 11:02 PM   post #11 of 62
SockPuppet
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 13712

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss12 View Post
if you can bolt cutter my 100 1/2" chain i'd be REALLY impressed
A cordless angle grinder with a cutoff bade is way more effective than a bolt cutter.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:15 PM   post #12 of 62
ss12
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 32891

a bit louder tho. lol. so is a torch.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:16 PM   post #13 of 62
JRC IOWA
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 4622

I live in iowa and 1/2 the time i don't even lock the door.But the german shepherd and mastiff helps.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:16 PM   post #14 of 62
eastonct124
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 32697

chain a mountain lion to it!
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 11:24 PM   post #15 of 62
stladrill
Run ahead of the pack

MTF Member # 31914
Garage

For me it is simple, the car stay out side and the tractor stay in the garage.
It is less difficult to steal a tractor versus a car.

Welcome Canadians Sign in!!

(Click on the image to get there)

The information provided is without warranty of any kind. In no event shall I be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential loss, damage, liability or expense incurred or suffered, claimed to have resulted from use of this information.
stladrill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.