Home made leaf vacuum....need ideas - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Home Made Tractors, Implements and Accessories For you guys handy with a blow torch, welder or a wrench.. show us what you can do....

Old 12-21-2009, 02:34 PM   post #1 of 7
poncho62
National Mower Guy

MTF Member # 19374
Default Home made leaf vacuum....need ideas

I want to build a leaf vacuum for next year. Want to mount it on a trailer to tow behind a lawn tractor. I have the trailer, a 6 hp engine, but am wondering what to do for a blower. I did a search of the forums and saw that some are using old chipper/shredders. I have an old Mighty Mac, but it is pretty big.....and I don't see how one of these is going to get the suction.

I am wondering if there is a type of industrial blower that I could use? I will have a hose from my mower deck to this blower and then up to a bin in the trailer..........Any ideas out there. Looking to build something like this......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	!Bh3oJq!B2k~$(KGrHqYH-CoEsM-1yLsNBLLVn53Pn!~~_3.JPG
Views:	498
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	86390  
Ford LGT125
M-F 10
John Deere STX38

Ontario Rodders
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 03:39 PM   post #2 of 7
Bart
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 8013
Default Re: Home made leaf vacuum....need ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
I want to build a leaf vacuum for next year. Want to mount it on a trailer to tow behind a lawn tractor. I have the trailer, a 6 hp engine, but am wondering what to do for a blower. I did a search of the forums and saw that some are using old chipper/shredders. I have an old Mighty Mac, but it is pretty big.....and I don't see how one of these is going to get the suction.
I have built several leaf vacs and suggest you look for a trak vac unit and use that as a pattern to build yourself the housing then you can purchase an impeller as a replacement part from trak vac. The impellers, while simple to make, are tough to balance properly without proper equipment so I would just buy one.

Most of the commercial units mount the impeller on the engine crankshaft though I dislike this approach because it will eventually damage the crank when the impeller gets out of balance from sucking up sticks and stones. I use a separate shaft and pillow blocks to mount the impeller and drive it with a v belt to the engine. This provides some protection to the engine if you jam the impeller and allows you to increase the rpm on the impeller which will increase the suction.
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2009, 05:23 PM   post #3 of 7
poncho62
National Mower Guy

MTF Member # 19374

Was thinking along that line too.........but, where can I get the impeller unit? Any ideas what will work?
Ford LGT125
M-F 10
John Deere STX38

Ontario Rodders
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2009, 10:40 PM   post #4 of 7
Boyd
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 19439

Look for a large 2 stage snowblower and use the 2nd stage. I have one from Canado made in the 70s I think, that was 2 stage but had a 90 degree gearbox that ran to the first stage. It doesn't have a shaft going foreward from the 2nd stage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHVFE02NTgU Pictured:79 Mustang Pace car 5.0 4sp I sold in 1990. All Toro: 520xi, 2x 266-H. Selling: Briggs Intek 24hp oil pan, Sears 4ws hydro transaxle, Sabre BM 19920 NOS sleeve hitch, parting Toro 117 Groundsmaster & WH C-175. Wanted: WH or Toro 42" rear discharge mower deck.
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2009, 10:47 PM   post #5 of 7
Bart

MTF Member # 8013

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Was thinking along that line too.........but, where can I get the impeller unit? Any ideas what will work?
Here's the link to the manufacturer's site http://www.trac-vac.com/

You can read through and see which models might be most appropriate for what you want to do. Download their manuals for part details. You can get the parts through any dealer--I got mine through a JD dealer.

This is a pretty popular brand so you shouldn't have much trouble finding ones to look at or maybe even pickup a used unit with a trashed engine. You might also inquire of dealers to see if any have used parts/damaged units they would sell cheap.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:12 PM   post #6 of 7
walter g
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 9285

If you can form and roll sheet metal you can build some of the parts you need. If not you'd do better looking for a trac-vac with a bad motor.

I thought about building one myself but it would cost to much. If you do build one there is a guy on Ebay selling the two hoses for 120 bucks brand new.

There is a company that sells the deck adapter boot for any tracvac style unit.

Adapter is here. http://www.trac-vac.com/

Hoses are here. http://cgi.ebay.com/DIXIE-CHOPPER-EX...item35a5996201

I believe the adapter boot is around 200. But you'd have to check.

It adds up real quick. If you can think of a cheap way to do it let me know.

Walter
walter g is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 11:40 PM   post #7 of 7
Bart

MTF Member # 8013

Here is a good source for hoses http://www.wynnenv.com/flexible_hose_Lawn.htm

If you want something that will last for a long time get the urethane hose--pvc will self destruct quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.