05' Simplicity Prestige - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 12-20-2009, 07:54 AM   post #1 of 28
kg2k
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 36384
Default 05' Simplicity Prestige

Hello,

I am new to the forums and looking for some input if anyone is willing. I am considering purchasing a used 05' Simplicity Prestige from a local dealer. They are asking $4400. It has 150 hours on it but the dealer stated they would give me the full 2 year warranty. Does this sound like a fair deal? I am a little torn. I could get a new John Deere X360 for probably around $400 more.

At first I thought it was a fair deal but I thought it was an 07' at that time. A couple concerns are the Simplicity blows out a pretty good cloud of blue smoke upon starting it. I was told that was normal for the Kohler Command engine but I am not sure. It seems like there might be some truth to that but it could also be a potential problem.

I will be buying a blower attachment for whichever I decide to go with and it's primary use will actually be throwing snow, at least for now. I have a 500' driveway and probably only mow 3/4 of an acre.
kg2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2009, 07:59 AM   post #2 of 28
munderhill
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 3901
Default Re: 05' Simplicity Prestige

Sounds very high priced to me.
I did not pay much more than that for my brand new Conquest.
The Command engine is not as good a powerplant as the Vanguard IMO. Have read and heard on here of many problems with them. My neighbors brand new (less than 50 Hours) 2827 Massey (prestige) blew the lower seal. Was covered under warranty but still the same.

MU
munderhill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2009, 08:03 AM   post #3 of 28
Burntime
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 22443

I like the command better then the briggs...but I still think thats a 3500 dollar tractor at best...more fair at 3k...
Burntime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2009, 08:04 AM   post #4 of 28
slkpk
USMC

MTF Member # 37

and enjoy the forum. I think it's a little high on the price. Whatever you decide on slkpk
It's too late to worry about it now!

slkpk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2009, 08:19 AM   post #5 of 28
kg2k
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 36384

Thanks for the quick replies.

I may try to get them to knock off $500. I doubt very much they would go any lower. They are going to give me a written 2 year warranty which has to be considered also. How would it honestly compare to a new Deere X360? The only thing the X360 seems to be lacking over the Prestige is a locking rear differential, unless I am missing something. If I could get them to knock off $500 on the Prestige then that Deere would have to now be worth $900 more...

Burntime, since you're familiar with the Kohler Command engine, is the blue/grey smoke normal on startup? It went away pretty quickly.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:05 AM   post #6 of 28
Burntime

MTF Member # 22443

I am no expert but have been told its valve guides... Better to check with someone in the know...I just had a legacy last spring with a command 25hp. It had 22XX hours on it and it purred like a kitten. And the 25 is known for head gasket problems... I have a 17gthl kohler kt-17 in 92 vintage...same puff at startup and never uses oil...its the series 2 so presure lubed... I use it year round and it just keeps going! I am a koler guy except for the old single cylinder briggs. If the motor on my 17gth-l goes its getting repowerd with the command!
Old 12-20-2009, 09:25 AM   post #7 of 28
kg2k
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 36384

This one has a 23hp Kohler. The mfg date on the engine was July of 05'.

I also forgot to mention that it does come with the 54" deck. That was probably assumed but I know that brand new the Prestige doesn't come with a deck.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:29 AM   post #8 of 28
Burntime

MTF Member # 22443

I asumed it had a 50 or 54 inch deck... The 23 I thought had the same head gasket issues....
Old 12-20-2009, 09:44 AM   post #9 of 28
kg2k
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 36384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntime View Post
I asumed it had a 50 or 54 inch deck... The 23 I thought had the same head gasket issues....
I asked the dealer if the Kohler engines had head gasket issues and he said they replace very few head gaskets on Kohler engines and that head gasket issues are more common on Brigg's engines. I am not sure what to make of that though, I think they are just telling me what I want to hear.

Of course if they're guaranteeing it for 2 years and that smoke is from a head gasket issue, I can't imagine it wouldn't fail in that 2 year period.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:10 AM   post #10 of 28
Burntime

MTF Member # 22443

A compression test and a leak down test would tell right away... I am NOT a motor guy nor do I play one ;~) Its Xmas, if your gonna buy it off season it should be a deal, or keep looking...JMHO. I would buy simplicity hands down over deere, but I am biased. Simplicity is known for the cut...others try to imitate it...
Old 12-20-2009, 03:19 PM   post #11 of 28
Hugh-SS/16
Onan Lover

MTF Member # 31282
Garage

well yea, simplicity is know for being a good mower, but youre saying you want an all around garden tractor. that is not to say that the prestige wont be a good garden tractor, however i think that the john deere would cut the grass nicely, as well as have the power and durability to do more than just mow. i say look for a used jd on craigslist. models like the 318, 316, gt 245, and 320 are all good ones to choose from. they will run around 3500 in good condition are all better than either the new jd or simplicity
GT_80 Fan Club Member: #0001

Need Tires?Click Here!

John Deere, Mahindra CUT, Gravely, Stihl
Ellington Agway Power Equipment
74 West Rd (Rt 83)
Ellington, CT
860-875-0690
The above opinions are solely mine and do not reflect that of my employer
Hugh-SS/16 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2009, 04:47 PM   post #12 of 28
Burntime

MTF Member # 22443

He is looking at a garden tractor in the prestige...its a do all machine...
Old 12-20-2009, 04:54 PM   post #13 of 28
rscurtis
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 25367

I once had three stump grinders with Command CH 20 engines on them. One would always start with a good cloud of smoke, the other two did not. When it came time to re-ring them, and I removed one of the valve covers from the one that always smoked, oil ran out. The oil drain was never drilled completely through the head. Finishing the hole solved the problem.
rscurtis is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2009, 11:12 PM   post #14 of 28
JFlame
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 6120

My 27HP Kohler Command will smoke on startup every so often. I can't seem to find a pattern to when or why it does it. It doesn't appear to use any oil though so I'll live with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 12:29 AM   post #15 of 28
ACmowerguy

MTF Member # 22929

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonpusher95 View Post
well yea, simplicity is know for being a good mower, but youre saying you want an all around garden tractor. that is not to say that the prestige wont be a good garden tractor, however i think that the john deere would cut the grass nicely, as well as have the power and durability to do more than just mow. i say look for a used jd on craigslist. models like the 318, 316, gt 245, and 320 are all good ones to choose from. they will run around 3500 in good condition are all better than either the new jd or simplicity
Why would you assume that just because its a "Deere" it has more power or capabilities? The JD he is asking about is an X-300 series. The X-360 is not in my 2006 X-series brochure but back then the X-300's were considered a lawn tractor. They have 6" front rims (except the AWS) and only 10" rims on the rear. They are not rated for ground engaging implements. The Simplicity Prestige is a Garden tractor rated for pulling plows, tilling, etc. It has 12" rear rims, 5 lug. It has hydraulic lift. Some have power steering and 4WD is now an option on the Prestige. I can't necessarily endorese the prestige as I have never owned one and I am also unsure about the price, though it may be an OK buy. I think they are close to 6K for a new one. I can say from the experience of owning both brands, that in the past, Simplicity has built garden tractors every bit as tough as JD. The new Legacy is also a pretty impressive machine.
Sears- 1971 HT14 hydro
ACmowerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.