Car & truck headlights & tail lights--is it just me?? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Off Topic But not "Off Color" and no politics please

Old 12-03-2009, 12:23 PM   post #1 of 97
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867
Default Car & truck headlights & tail lights--is it just me??

---Or are they getting BRIGHTER with every passing year!...maybe its because it seems REAL dark this time of the year,but man--I go for a drive at night and within 15 minutes ,I get a migraine from the cars headlamps coming at me the other way,or behind me..and those new LED tail lights KILL my eyes,I can see them long after the car has dissapeared,like a ghostly image of them..

I also HATE those aftermarket "purple" headlamps,but even bone stock ones in late model cars seem way too bright for me..many people here seem to think its nessasary to put 500,000 watt "driving lights"on their SUVs (or they come factory with them) and insist on leaving them on all the time too--I suspect 80% of the cars coming at me or up behind me have their HI BEAMS on too,and they never dim them..but more than once when I flashed MY high beams,I found out they only had their LOW beams on!....

I cringe whenever I come upon a state cop on the highway that has his blue lights on now--I dont know what they are thinking,but the new cruisers have a huge display of flashing LED's with an amber arrow AND the trillion candlepower blue flashing ones,that fry my retinas,by the time I get up to the cruiser I'm just about stone blind,and cant see for crap for the next 5 miles..I bet those lights cause more accidents than they'll ever prevent!..

Anyone else here thing lights on vehicles are getting TOO bright??..I am staying homme as much as possible after dark now,I hate night driving!..
Tractor-Holic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 01:02 PM   post #2 of 97
WNYTractorTinkerer
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 26264
Garage
Icon2 Re: Car & truck headlights & tail lights--is it just me??

Can You see the Real me?
WNYTractorTinkerer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 01:18 PM   post #3 of 97
LilysDad
Just Have a Little Faith!

MTF Member # 7161
Default Re: Car & truck headlights & tail lights--is it just me??

Have you had your eyes checked lately? Could be Glaucoma.
LilysDad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 02:06 PM   post #4 of 97
eastonct124
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 32697

You don't need your eyes checked.
Yes, they are getting brighter. The new high intensity bulbs are just ridiculously bright. I can't stand it.
When I drove my 66' impala SS daily (20 years ago), I had four halogens, which I'd blast on high, when someone hit me with high beams...thought that taught em a lesson....but todays bulbs, are blinding.
Where I live, the woods are so dense, it seems like dusk in the middle of day. When I'm driving, at night, it's pitch black, moon out or not.
When I come around a bend, and a new, say...Beemer is coming towards me, I have to pull over.
Something should be done about that legally.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:51 PM   post #5 of 97
SWCSRT
Im mowin the air Randy

MTF Member # 30261
Garage

Great thread Tractor-holic.
I couldn't agree more,Im 34,my eyesight is fine,
but at night I cant see squat,not from darkness from being blinded
from other vehicles.I too sometimes get headaches or aches from
squinting my eyes.Believe it or not I wear sunglasses sometimes for night
driving,works great.

SWCSRT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 04:34 PM   post #6 of 97
Milwaukee
Dan

MTF Member # 2557

I HATE THOSE PEOPLE they use HID light. http://www.hidstores.com/

They BLIND me while I drive. I wish I could crash them and blame them because light blind me.

Plus they give me headache when those light beam though my eye.

WORST GM must have dumb idea to use Led light on brake light it hurt my eye at night time.

Please join this
Milwaukee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 04:43 PM   post #7 of 97
gwiz
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 11795

Yeh, They are gettting brighter. Those LED brake lights hurt when you are stopped behind one at a traffic light. Then it takes a while the burned-in image to go away and for your eyes to get readjusted.

There should be a limit to how bright these lights should be.

And those aftermarket colored headlights are annoying. Pink, purple and blue. Who came up with this stuff? Is it supposed to look cool?
Lawn Boy 10201
3hp Briggs engined mish-mash
21" Murray w/ Briggs
gwiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 05:11 PM   post #8 of 97
Brett-JDX748
Has anyone seen ChimChim?

MTF Member # 1790

Boy you guys would HATE ME....

6000 Kelvin HID Low Beams, 6000 Kelvin Driving Lights and LED Tail Lights with more than 48 LED's per side

My headlamps are properly aimed and they are projectors, I don't get high beamed very often, in fact in two years? Maybe twice and I assume that was by people who just can't accept that HID is the way to go.. So I was more than gracious enough to flash them back with my 55 Watt Sylvania Silver Star Ultra high beams and show them that I did not have my High Beams on.

That knockin, ain't a loose rod, Son!
Photos

Former Fleet:
2009 Craftsman GTS5000 Excellerator - Sold
Photos

2006 John Deere 3320, FEL, Backhoe, 62 MMM - Sold
Photos

2005 Cub Cadet 6284D FEL, Backhoe , 70" rear finish mower - Bought back, LEMON
Photos
Brett-JDX748 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 05:32 PM   post #9 of 97
NEWT92
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 8405

I replaced the factory bulbs with Silverstars on my 2 trucks and my car. I have gotten flashed a couple times with my trucks, but not often enough to think its a real problem. Yes, they are brighter than the factory bulbs, and if they blind you, but I live out in the country and its infested with deer that like to step, run, or jump out in front of you. I even done a mod on all three so that when the high beams are on, the low beams stay on two, makes a world of difference!!

I also have LED taillights on one truck and all three of my trailers. Now thats just a safety thing there. So much better to be seen during the day.
NEWT92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 05:36 PM   post #10 of 97
BOSOX
Booo

MTF Member # 5420

I find they're (head lights that is, LED tail lights are fine by me) even worse to deal with on dark rainy nights. My eyes are still 20/20 but my depth perception isn't as good as it used to be. That being said I try not to be out driving in that situation. If the harsh lights themselves don't blind me , the reflections off the wet pavement do. I'm for a limit to how bright lights need to be and I think those colored lights are absurd. Wasn't it red taillights and running lights and yellow front directional and marker lights. I don't understand how the colored ones are legal. Gosh I feel old....
Old 12-03-2009, 05:50 PM   post #11 of 97
Brett-JDX748

MTF Member # 1790

I'm pretty sure drivers exams in all 50 explain how you are supposed to drive at night. I know in PA the exam said you are to look at the outside edge of the road (lines) when you see an oncoming car at night and if there is no line to go by then you should look at the lane divider lines.

You shouldn't be "looking" at the headlights of an oncoming car because it has a negative impact on your night vision.

Hate to state the obvious, but that's how the driving manual says you should do it..

BOSOX,

Red, Amber, Yellow, White are the "legal" colors and there are rules for how and where they are to be used. For example red on the front of a vehicle is illegal because sheeple might mistake it for brake lights. And lights are not allowed to strobe unless it's an emergency vehicle.

Any colors other than listed above are technically illegal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1_pKcIRx6Y

^ I am legally allowed to run my white halo's day or night, but strobeing them and running the red's on the road is illegal. Check the video to see what I'm talking about.

3:10 seconds, good way to go to Jail!

Photos

Former Fleet:
Photos

Photos

Photos

Last edited by Brett-JDX748; 12-03-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:26 PM   post #12 of 97
bobodu
One of the First 500

MTF Member # 478

Even worse are the people who think they look cool by driving with only their parking lights on. Must be too lazy to twist the knob a bit further.
I miss the old days when someone who owned a tractor had a plow for it and kept it in a barn. A CUT was something that bled and pressing 1 just made a sound in your ear. Mostly I miss the UPS girl....
Free Gravely 812
Free Simplicity 7016
$700 1945 A-C WC
Cheap tractors that never need repairs.Life is sweet.
bobodu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2009, 06:36 PM   post #13 of 97
Brett-JDX748

MTF Member # 1790

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobodu View Post
Even worse are the people who think they look cool by driving with only their parking lights on. Must be too lazy to twist the knob a bit further.
Woops guilty of that too... It's called driver visability... (you mean during the day, right?) I drive with at least my parking lights on at all times. I have to, because most of the idiots on the road are far too busy in deep conversation on their cell phones and simply couldn't be bothered to actually DRIVE....

Photos

Former Fleet:
Photos

Photos

Photos
Old 12-03-2009, 07:06 PM   post #14 of 97
cub2900
Josh

MTF Member # 33095

I blame it on fat america! lol Too much junk in everybody's trunk means the rear end of the car sags and the headlights go up towards the sky (or at least towards oncoming traffic)!

Seriously though, I have the same problem and my eyes are fine. Its bad enough for me on my bike (bikes sit lower than cars) at night that I'll ride with lightly shaded riding glasses on. They help me keep my eyes adjusted after passing bright headlights. I can't stand when people leave their fog lights on. Actually, it is illegal, but no one ever gets in trouble for it. Headlights are bad enough without two additional lights comming at ya. I also hate the bright turn signals that some cars have these days. Bright brake lights are hard to look at, but a bright blinking light can kill ya at an intersection.

There are two fixes for people with this problem....
1) get sunglasses or tint your front window
2) get a taller truck!

My truck may only be be two wheel drive, and therefore not really worth lifting, but she's a 1 ton. Now, for those people out there who are proud of those bright bulbs in their car, just think how I'll be laughing if your bright lights blind me and I wipe your car out cause I cross the center line. Sure, it may hurt my baby, but those bright lights won't help you push a wheel chair.

Nah, thats just a little too mean, but I get so sick of people these days. Seriously, what kinda person gets a kick out of perposely brightening their headlight bulbs and blinding other people.
cub2900 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 07:15 PM   post #15 of 97
Upper5Percent
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 8602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor-Holic View Post
---Or are they getting BRIGHTER with every passing year!...maybe its because it seems REAL dark this time of the year,but man--I go for a drive at night and within 15 minutes ,I get a migraine from the cars headlamps coming at me the other way,or behind me..and those new LED tail lights KILL my eyes,I can see them long after the car has dissapeared,like a ghostly image of them..

I also HATE those aftermarket "purple" headlamps,but even bone stock ones in late model cars seem way too bright for me..many people here seem to think its nessasary to put 500,000 watt "driving lights"on their SUVs (or they come factory with them) and insist on leaving them on all the time too--I suspect 80% of the cars coming at me or up behind me have their HI BEAMS on too,and they never dim them..but more than once when I flashed MY high beams,I found out they only had their LOW beams on!....

I cringe whenever I come upon a state cop on the highway that has his blue lights on now--I dont know what they are thinking,but the new cruisers have a huge display of flashing LED's with an amber arrow AND the trillion candlepower blue flashing ones,that fry my retinas,by the time I get up to the cruiser I'm just about stone blind,and cant see for crap for the next 5 miles..I bet those lights cause more accidents than they'll ever prevent!..

Anyone else here thing lights on vehicles are getting TOO bright??..I am staying homme as much as possible after dark now,I hate night driving!..
Return the favor...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.