GX345 Time Delay Module - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 11-21-2009, 05:23 PM   post #1 of 18
Hammered
MTF Member

MTF Member # 32037
Default GX345 Time Delay Module

Well, thanks to this forum I recently bought a 2005 model GX345 with 54" deck and less than 300 hours for $3,500 It was over my budget, but that seems to be the norm for folks that come here for advice.

I mounted a 48" snow blade today that I found locally and began having problems with the mower starting. I traced it down to an intermittant connection around the starter/ignition module where I had to attach the angling kit bracket. It looks like it's at the time delay module. Does anyone know how to bypass this thing so I can make sure?
Hammered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2009, 10:34 AM   post #2 of 18
rrmccabe
I color outside the lines

MTF Member # 34789
Default Re: GX345 Time Delay Module

I dont think there is any easy way to bypass that module. They have seat, brake, PTO and reverse tied into that thing.

I think I read its a Kawasaki thing built to JD spec. There are other brand modules on the market that are not as tight on safety that you could swap it with.

But if you are looking for a jump x to y fix, I dont think there is one.

1967 Original 110 Round Fender with model 80 cart
2010 2305 with 200cx loader
rrmccabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2009, 07:30 PM   post #3 of 18
Hammered
MTF Member

MTF Member # 32037

Thanks, but from what I understand this thing is a timed cutoff switch that drives the spark and fuel pump. There is a black ground, red positive (haven't tested it to see if it's full-time or switched) an unknown orange wire and two yellow wires that appear to be an in and out to drive the coils. The yellow wire is simple to bypass, but I don't know if the orange wire needs to be made to ground or to positive or something else to bypass this thing.

Anyone know where I can get a wiring schematic?
Old 11-22-2009, 08:59 PM   post #4 of 18
jdkubotamurray
Guru on the Mountain

MTF Member # 147

$17 at dealer, 5 min to swap.
You might want to keep in the circuit as it works well for shutdown.
I put one on my 2004 GX345 due to intermittant start issues, works like a champ now.
jdkubotamurray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2009, 10:23 PM   post #5 of 18
Hammered
MTF Member

MTF Member # 32037

I will replace it if it's bad. I'm just trying to find a way certain to diagnose it because I hate the trial error approach to fixing stuff.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:28 PM   post #6 of 18
QRoo
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 57555

2005 GX345 with a similar issue. No spark, engine cranks, ran fine two weeks ago and all winter blowing snow, tested the seat switch and that is fine although when I tested the seat switch plug I got no continuity. Is this always an open circuit. Where is the time delay switch mounted that I have been reading about. Any pics would be appreaciated.
QRoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 09:47 PM   post #7 of 18
MXZRXP
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 48748

yup, you just want to bypass it to see if that is the problem not remove permanently! that makes sense...

this part of the post stuck out: "...where I had to attach the angling kit bracket..." If I am reading right the problem only started after installing the angling bracket??

If yes, I don't beleive in concidences, I would re-examine the install, did a peice of wire get chaffed or a screw intercept a wiring harbness???

I can provide an electrical schematic for the 345 (20 HP KAW), I believe it is the same.

PM me if you want it...

Propane HEAT (sweet!)

Blower in action here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dyoup-StaA
MXZRXP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2013, 12:11 PM   post #8 of 18
Interrex
John Deere

MTF Member # 62450

I thought I had a bad ignition module, all it was was this delay timer. Went to pick it up at the dealer ($23) and they said they have had a bunch of GX 345 with corrosion and delay timers bad. So check your connections also mine was corrosive also..
Interrex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2013, 04:22 PM   post #9 of 18
QuantumRift
MTF Member

MTF Member # 99809

I have a JD 345 - it too, has a TDM that is giving me fits. Takes forever to start, then once it does, I can mow for about 12 minutes (timed it), then it coughs and dies. Most times it wont restart unless I take a break and have a bottle of water, etc. Then it starts. I have bypassed the seat switch as my seat is ragged out and pretty much in need of replacement. I will get a TDM for R&R but I'd just like to bypass it as well if possible.
JC Penney #1859 Garden Tractor
QuantumRift is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2013, 06:14 PM   post #10 of 18
man4mopar
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 119794

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXZRXP View Post
yup, you just want to bypass it to see if that is the problem not remove permanently! that makes sense...

this part of the post stuck out: "...where I had to attach the angling kit bracket..." If I am reading right the problem only started after installing the angling bracket??

If yes, I don't beleive in concidences, I would re-examine the install, did a peice of wire get chaffed or a screw intercept a wiring harbness???

I can provide an electrical schematic for the 345 (20 HP KAW), I believe it is the same.

PM me if you want it...

Does it look/match this? Have it attached but may be larger/clearer here http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...on_circuit.jpg

I would test voltages key off and key on

If so it should have 12 volts all the time at the red wire. from starter to module.

Green on sheet but labeled yellow from module should have 12 volts when key is on only.

Red labeled yellow/white? going to ignition coils should be 12 volts with key on maybe even with key off. Will need 12 volts to run though.

Orange going to ignition control module I am not sure but assume is 12 volts with key on and the delay module will stop the 12 volts after a given time when no longer getting the 12 volts from the yellow wire(green on diagram)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	time delay module.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	415721  
man4mopar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2013, 05:48 PM   post #11 of 18
QuantumRift
MTF Member

MTF Member # 99809

Well for $20.00 (actual price from John Deere Dealer in Lancaster OH), I picked up a TDM this morning and replaced it and it 100% fixed the problem. NO more cranking and waiting and cranking...no more coughing and dying and waiting to restart. Best $20 I've spent in a long time and worth it.

Also, it's a GOOD idea to thoroughly examine and clean all electrical connectors as well. In working this issue I found the coil wire connections corroded. On the RIGHT coil, when I attempted to remove the wires to clean the spades and connectors, one of the spades on the coil actually broke off at resin level! SO that was a $50 coil to replace. The wire connections on the LEFT coil were also in terrible shape, so just replaced all the connections with new ones, and once I attached them to the coils, I used liquid electrical tape to generously coat the connections to prevent new corrosion.

I found connectors on the ignition board to be cruddy and dirty and they required cleaning with CRC Electrical Contact cleaner. I found the stud, bolt and connections under the starter to be corroded as well and I removed all those and cleaned them when replacing the TDM. Where the TDM grounds to the bolt (one of the two bolts that holds the ignition ignitor) I found another bad ground wire that needed a new connector. I also found a hole about 3/8" in diameter that either had burned or eaten or worn thru the top of the ignition ignitor (near the upper bolt). I was going to replace the ignitor until I found the price was $275 (dealer price). So I figured I'd patch the hole and see if it still worked. It did, so I didn't have to spend the $275 for THAT.

So to sum up, the TDM fixed the issue, but I also found corroded and broken wires which I replaced. I also make it point to keep those battery terminals clean and corrosion free.
JC Penney #1859 Garden Tractor

Last edited by QuantumRift; 08-19-2013 at 05:58 PM.
QuantumRift is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2013, 06:02 PM   post #12 of 18
PEIDeerefan
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 18351

Replaced the TDM on my GX345 this spring after the same issues that you had. Thanks to the great help and past experience on this forum, fixed it myself also at a small price.

2011 John Deere X530 with 48 inch deck
44 inch snowblower, chains, 4 suitcase weights
OTC Cab and winter grill cover
2002 John Deere GX345 with 48 inch deck
Power flow bagger
John Deere #80 cart
40 inch Brinly plug aerator
48 inch Brinly lawn roller
PEIDeerefan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2013, 06:06 PM   post #13 of 18
PEIDeerefan
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 18351

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumRift View Post

Also, it's a GOOD idea to thoroughly examine and clean all electrical connectors as well. In working this issue I found the coil wire connections corroded. On the RIGHT coil, when I attempted to remove the wires to clean the spades and connectors, one of the spades on the coil actually broke off at resin level! SO that was a $50 coil to replace. The wire connections on the LEFT coil were also in terrible shape, so just replaced all the connections with new ones, and once I attached them to the coils, I used liquid electrical tape to generously coat the connections to prevent new corrosion.

I found connectors on the ignition board to be cruddy and dirty and they required cleaning with CRC Electrical Contact cleaner. I found the stud, bolt and connections under the starter to be corroded as well and I removed all those and cleaned them when replacing the TDM. Where the TDM grounds to the bolt (one of the two bolts that holds the ignition ignitor) I found another bad ground wire that needed a new connector. I also found a hole about 3/8" in diameter that either had burned or eaten or worn thru the top of the ignition ignitor (near the upper bolt). I was going to replace the ignitor until I found the price was $275 (dealer price). So I figured I'd patch the hole and see if it still worked. It did, so I didn't have to spend the $275 for THAT.

So to sum up, the TDM fixed the issue, but I also found corroded and broken wires which I replaced. I also make it point to keep those battery terminals clean and corrosion free.

Seems like a lot of corrision for a low hour 2005 tractor. Was it left outside for a lot of its life by the PO?

2011 John Deere X530 with 48 inch deck
44 inch snowblower, chains, 4 suitcase weights
OTC Cab and winter grill cover
2002 John Deere GX345 with 48 inch deck
Power flow bagger
John Deere #80 cart
40 inch Brinly plug aerator
48 inch Brinly lawn roller
PEIDeerefan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2014, 02:13 PM   post #14 of 18
Harryc
Diesel Power

MTF Member # 66572
Garage

On a 345, would the TDM cause a 5 or so second delay after you jump off the seat or turn off the PTO for the engine to stop? Parking brake not applied. Not exactly the symptoms described in this thread ...
Harryc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2014, 03:05 PM   post #15 of 18
Xcopterdoc
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 19175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryc View Post
On a 345, would the TDM cause a 5 or so second delay after you jump off the seat or turn off the PTO for the engine to stop? Parking brake not applied. Not exactly the symptoms described in this thread ...
Yes it would. In fact thats the purpose behind it. It reduces the annoying shutting off over rough ground where you might be coming off the seat. Works great for those of us that are slight of build.
If one of you guys that had a bad TDM and saved the old one, CAREFULLY cut it open and see whats in there. Then post the pic to let everyone see what 20 bucks buys! LOL!
Xcopterdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.