Brass battery terminals? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Backyard Round Table - L & G Tractor Related Topics Lawn and Garden Tractor Related Topics General Discussion Board

Old 10-29-2009, 11:13 AM   post #1 of 6
JayC
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 33838
Default Brass battery terminals?

I just changed the battery terminals on my big tractor this past weekend. I put on brass terminals, simply because I found them before I found the lead ones in the store. It's kind of moot now, since they are already bolted on, but is brass supposed to be better than lead, or worse? Are there pros/cons vs. lead? I never saw them before, but thought they looked nice (being all shiny and stuff).

JayC
JayC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 11:33 AM   post #2 of 6
engine2quarters
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 24003
Default Re: Brass battery terminals?

They won't stay shiny too long.
Lead is softer than brass and will form to the mating item, ie battery post.
engine2quarters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 11:46 AM   post #3 of 6
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

I've used some I got cheap at a swap meet,they were "Marine" battery terminals,they seemed to conduct well and didn't fuzz up as quickly as lead ones did..they will turn greenish like copper pretty quickly but it doesn't seem to affect their conductivity...I liked the marine style,they had a lug with a wingnut that makes adding additional "hot" wires easy for accessories..
Tractor-Holic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 12:00 PM   post #4 of 6
Loremaster72
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 25731

One thing that you may want to avoid is the use of "repair ends" at the battery. These are the ones that clamp to the wire, instead of the hard crimped on type. I designed heavy equipment and these create a high resistance at the connection. They work OK for a while, but the connection tends to corrode faster, and they can hinder a hard starting engine by limiting the current getting to the starter. The degradation of the connection (corrosion) often is not visible, unlike a corroded battery terminal post. Use them as they say, as a quick "repair" to tide you over until you get a crimped / soldered terminal.
Loremaster72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 12:10 PM   post #5 of 6
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

On GM side terminal batteries I use the "lugs" they sell at welding stores instead of those cheap "quickie" repair ends..their made of copper and I use a propane torch to solder then to the cable (well away from the battery of course!)after stripping it back to clean copper ,and rarely have a problem with them corroding..it also makes using jumper cables much easier,I hate those stupid OEM post bolts with the 5/16" heads,jumpers slip off every time..I have put brass studs in my side post batteries on my diesel pickup and use brass nuts on them to attach the cables..
Tractor-Holic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 02:04 PM   post #6 of 6
JayC
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 33838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loremaster72 View Post
One thing that you may want to avoid is the use of "repair ends" at the battery. These are the ones that clamp to the wire, instead of the hard crimped on type. I designed heavy equipment and these create a high resistance at the connection. They work OK for a while, but the connection tends to corrode faster, and they can hinder a hard starting engine by limiting the current getting to the starter. The degradation of the connection (corrosion) often is not visible, unlike a corroded battery terminal post. Use them as they say, as a quick "repair" to tide you over until you get a crimped / soldered terminal.
Interesting point - thanks. I did put on the 'repair' terminals, and have used them on my cars/trucks in the past without ever having a problem. I do, however, coat the wires with conductive grease before squashing them into the terminal. I'll keep an eye on them - if have any issues, I'll break out the torch.

JayC
JayC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.