Plastic Hood Wax - Page 2 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

John Deere Forum John Deere Garden Tractor talk

Old 10-25-2009, 06:26 PM   #16
danbike
Bikes/Tractors what else

MTF Member # 1530
Default Re: Plastic Hood Wax

Don't know what the break point is, but a dealer up north of the cheezeline once told me that the tractors on the high end of the JD line have hoods that are painted. The lower end have hoods that are molded in their final color. I don't have any idea if this is true or not, but supposedly he would not store the X7XXX tractors outside since they have painted hoods.
19XX VESPA PX200EFL
1964 Vespa GL(oldest original owner Vespa in the US)
danbike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #17
efnfast
MTF Member

MTF Member # 24935

Quote:
Originally Posted by glterpening View Post
I was hoping for a simple answer to OP's question. Never had any luck making much improvement to how the hood on a 2006 115 lawn tractor looked. It is full of swirls, nothing like scratches, but just using a liquid polish does nothing! If I understand what's being said here so far about these "plastic" hoods:
-Could have single stage paint
-Could have paint plus clearcoat
-Could have no paint

So, are those really the choices? And, is it obvious which one you have? The 115 I have worked on does not appear to have any paint.

Here is what the John Deere.com site says about this:

Question: Is there a way to remove scratches from a lawn tractor hood with molded-in color?

Affected Equipment: All Riding Lawn Equipment

Answer: Molded-in colored parts are very difficult to reclaim if scratched or scuffed. A good quality automotive wax can reduce scuffs or scratches. Repeated use on more severe scratches may help. If repeated waxing fails to correct the scratch or scuff, part replacement or repainting may be required.

They mention "repainting". That implies they were painted in the first place?

Looks like a simple answer to the OP's question is not possible.
The fact they say wax can reduce scratches and scuffs makes me disbelieve everything they've written - to correct scratches you have to level the surface. Think of a perfectly flat surface like

A scratch/swirl/etc.... will appear like

____vvv__vvv______

so you basically need to level the surface (the 'v' above) to make it even again to reflect light properly (in a nutshell).

A wax doesn't do that - it only protects the surface from oxidization (and other stuff) - a polish levels the surface by removing microscopic layers of it.

Anyways.....

Unfortunately I have no idea what they mean by moulded in - is it like a gelcoat finish (e.g., like what's on an rv or boat)? If it is, it can be polished.

If it were me, I'd just take a guess and treat it like a vehicle - in any case, yu'll need to use a buffer because polishing by hand will be a waste of time, unless it is clearcoated and the clearcoat is relatively soft (no idea, never worked on a JD cc before). If it's clearcoat scratches/swirls/etc... should correct with no color transfer to your pads; if it's single stage, your pads should turn green (color transfer). if it's molded plastic, I have no idea.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 11:22 PM   #18
HydroHarold
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 82

Quote:
A wool buffing pad on a drill .... ouch, I'd hate to see what yours looks like under inspection (e.g., hallogen) lighting.
That's the best laugh I've had in a long time! Ever since my first lawnmower with an engine on it I can't remember having concours lighting anyplace I've ever mowed or blowed snow... The above method works for Zenoy (or whatever JD is calling their plastic these days) to keep it nice enough to trade in or sell sometime down the road. However I guess I would not put it up against a Bugatti Veyron 16.4 or restored Auburn Speedster... except for mulching leaves.
HydroHarold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2009, 11:35 PM   #19
johndeere
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbike View Post
Don't know what the break point is, but a dealer up north of the cheezeline once told me that the tractors on the high end of the JD line have hoods that are painted. The lower end have hoods that are molded in their final color. I don't have any idea if this is true or not, but supposedly he would not store the X7XXX tractors outside since they have painted hoods.
I know the hood on a 9530 John Deere is not painted it is grren plastic just like the botton of the line Lawn tractor.So is the side panels on a Top of the line $300.000+ combine.

The trick to waxing them with out scratches is to apply the wax with a sponge applicator and wipe the wax off before it dries to a haze.
johndeere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 09:37 AM   #20
ccsial
Senior MTF Member

Location: Northern IL 30 mi NW of Rockford, IL in farm country
MTF Member # 7152

Quote:
Originally Posted by glterpening View Post
They mention "repainting". That implies they were painted in the first place?

Looks like a simple answer to the OP's question is not possible.
I'm not sure, but, since they are green inside and out I doubt they are painted. I think he meant they could be painted, not repainted.

Probably go through all that trouble and a week later it would crack.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:44 AM   #21
ghostrider990
MTF Member

MTF Member # 33016

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsial View Post
I use that stuff on my bikes, quads, tractors and it cleans the bugs off the cars nice too. It's great stuff.
Honda stuff is good.

PLEXUS is also a great polish/cleaner for plastics.

I ride an aprilia, and Plexus works GREAT on all the plastic bits -- my tank is plastic too!

Believe it or not, ALOT of guys SWEAR by PLEDGE furn. polish to shine and protect Plastic?!

I use Meguiar's NXT 2.0 wax on my cars -- and I LOVE it!!

gr
Old 10-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #22
ccsial
Senior MTF Member

Location: Northern IL 30 mi NW of Rockford, IL in farm country
MTF Member # 7152

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider990 View Post
Believe it or not, ALOT of guys SWEAR by PLEDGE furn. polish to shine and protect Plastic?!
I have read on some bike forums that Pledge will damage the coating on some windshields so I have never used it on my bikes. Don't know it that is true.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #23
V-Twin Chic
MTF Member

MTF Member # 34120

+1 Pledge - it gets milky at first, but let it sit for a minute or so, and then it's just amazing! Cleaner and polish in one, plus it smells really good. At motorcycle speeds, I'm not worried about stinging insects, but on a tractor, it might be of some concern.

+1 Plexus - I use it on our bikes as well. Windshields need a good treatment next spring. Three-stage kit is great for removing the deeper scratches.

I'm a big fan of Insulator Wax for all vehicles. The new (to me) JD will likely get a good coat of it this week.
V-Twin Chic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #24
garyss.smith
MTF Member

MTF Member # 33117

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
What year is your STX? I'd like to research that as most newer JD"s I've seen are clearcoated. (like a car's bumper for example)
My stx is a 1993 and I just re did the hood last week Looks as shiny as it did new was very scratched and something left lots of marks on it so I know it is just plastic not paint

gary

My fleet
stx 38
garyss.smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #25
efnfast
MTF Member

MTF Member # 24935

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
That's the best laugh I've had in a long time! Ever since my first lawnmower with an engine on it I can't remember having concours lighting anyplace I've ever mowed or blowed snow... The above method works for Zenoy (or whatever JD is calling their plastic these days) to keep it nice enough to trade in or sell sometime down the road. However I guess I would not put it up against a Bugatti Veyron 16.4 or restored Auburn Speedster... except for mulching leaves.
There's nothing wrong with using proper detailing techniques on your farm equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Twin Chic View Post
I'm a big fan of Insulator Wax for all vehicles. The new (to me) JD will likely get a good coat of it this week.
Insulator wax is awesome; i usually use 2 coats of Collonite 845 on everything. beads like a champ for 4-6mths usually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyss.smith View Post
My stx is a 1993 and I just re did the hood last week Looks as shiny as it did new was very scratched and something left lots of marks on it so I know it is just plastic not paint

gary
How do you know though it's plastic and not paint - you said above you used an automotive rubbing compound, so if it were single stage stage it would have had similar results.......
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.