Cub cadet lt1046 pto shuts off - Page 2 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 06-13-2013, 05:46 PM   post #16 of 21
jonmr
MTF Member

MTF Member # 81304
Default Re: Cub cadet lt1046 pto shuts off

Theres a video somewhere on YouTube that shows a man working on the deck pullies to fix that same issue. I'll see if I can dig up the link.
jonmr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 05:47 PM   post #17 of 21
jonmr
MTF Member

MTF Member # 81304

There you go
Old 06-13-2013, 05:59 PM   post #18 of 21
Poke
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 109249

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanlezpona View Post
Another issue I have is the belt that turns the blades has been popping off when I start the Pto sometimes. I have to start the pto with the deck high and then slowly move the deck down to number 3 for it not to pop off. Any suggestions anyone?
First off, check your spindle bearings. They should be tight when you try to move them side-to-side. Any play necessitates new bearings. Same goes for the idler pulleys on the deck. Bad bearings anywhere here will cause a belt to pop.

But I don't think that's your problem. Read on:

You've got the old-style 46", 3-blade deck on that tractor. How many belt tensioner arms are on that deck? The early system used one long, bent steel tensioner arm, with a pulley on top and a single spring to keep the belt tight. If you have the single-arm deck, the tensioner arm will wear out at the bushing and twist to the side, causing the belt to jump off over the top of the idler pulley. Replace a worn arm and bushing at the same time, and you should be good to go. I like to install a heavy fender washer under the deck, where the idler arm bolt goes through the deck pan, to prevent the arm from bending down again over time.

The newer-style deck looks the same on the outside, but it uses two tensioner arms and pulleys to keep the belt tight. On this style deck, the arms don't wear as badly, but they will rust in place and get stuck where they attach to the deck pan. Disassemble everything, clean the rust out with a wire wheel, be sure both arms move freely, straighten anything which has bent, and reassemble. Problem solved.

As shop manager at a Cub Cadet dealer, I've seen and fixed a lot of idler arm failures on that model. Its a pain to deal with, but it could be worse.
Rockingham, North Carolina

1971 Snapper Comet RER
1987 ?? Gravely 16G with hydraulic lift, front hitch, and front PTO
1987 Swisher Ride King, 8hp Briggs

1988 Echo PB 210 E
2002 Snapper Commercial 21"-Kawasaki FC150V powered
2006 Stihl FS 130 R
2006 Stihl MS 250

I'm not crazy...just obsessed.

Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 01:12 PM   post #19 of 21
nathanlezpona
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 112017

Well sure enough, i went and looked behind the tire and saw those two wires and the red one was disconnected. Nd it was close to metal so it was deff bouncing and cutting the system off. Im going to reconnect it tomorrow and see of that does the trick but im thinkin it will. Thanks everyone again for ur help and ill let ya know for sure if that fixes that issue.

Sent from the MTF Free App
nathanlezpona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 01:50 PM   post #20 of 21
nathanlezpona
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 112017

Well guys it worked. I mowed for 20 min and it didnt shut off at all. If anything comes up ill let you know in the future if anything changes. Thanks again for all the input and suggestion.

JON: did u check the wires and did it work for you too?

nathanlezpona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 11:10 PM   post #21 of 21
jonmr
MTF Member

MTF Member # 81304

Didn't get a chance to mow today, but I took a quick look and sure enough the red wire is broken and hanging down.

This forum rocks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.