My Tractor Forum banner

Want to get grandpa's old Massey runnin again.

4K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  Doubletrouble 
#1 ·
hi everyone, it's been awhile since I've posted here but now I need some help/advise.
I recently moved into my grandparents farm house, they've been gone for some time now but long story short I bought the place from another family member. Anyway, in the barn sits grandpa's 3 old tractors. A Massey Harris 101sr.(from what I can tell, not sure of year yet though). An IH Farmall H and a Massey Harris Pony. The 101 is first on the list since it's the most complete I also learned that this one also first belonged to my great grandfather so it's a little sentimental.
She has been sitting for quite awhile now. I drained the fuel bowl on the carb and varnish poured out, at least it was still liquid I guess.lol She is in need of some TLC for sure. Where should I start? Is there a "list" of things to do to get an old tractor back to life? I am mechanically inclined just not much experience with these old machines. Thanks.

p.s. 1 quik question: These are 6 volt systems and yet there is a sticker on the dash that reads "caution, 12 volt system". The battery is a 6 volt and the generator looks to be original. Any ideas?

#2 ·
I would check to make sure the engine is free. Check all fluids and see what condition they are in. My 30 is a 6 volt and my 444 is a 12 volt so Im not sure which you would have, most likely it is 6 and the sticker could be an add on. Check over the electrical system and see what shape it's in, whether or not you can juice to the starter and distributer. Probably going to have to replace some wires and get some electrical cleaner for inside the distributer and the other electrical parts. If you need any parts then just let me know because I've gotten a lot for my Massey from some good people.

#3 ·
Thanks Massey444. I finally found the serial # 255468 stamped on the top of the trans case next to the pto lever.
I looked at the sticky with the numbers but didnt find it, any ideas?
The gas tank reeks of varnish, sediment bowl is full of varnished fuel also.
The electrical will definitely need some attention.
I wish the louvered side covers were still here. I remember them from when I was young but I cant locate them now.
If some one could tell me the year from the ser. # I'd appreciate it.

#4 ·
As far as the sides go all I can say is good luck. I mean look around and maybe they were laid somewhere when the tractor was worked on or something like that but those tractors are more rare than say like a 30 I think so finding replacements may be difficult. I would keep checking ebay though because stuff like that does pop up from time to time. Another thing to keep an eye open for is massey sales or sales with massey stuff in it, there are still some big collectors out there. Check around online and maybe there might be someone that could steer you in the right direction.

If the gas tank is rusty you could take it off, drain the old fuel out and put a couple gallons of new fuel in. Then what I did was i took some straps and hung the tank up (cradled it) so that it hung pretty much on its own from my chain hoist. Then put some creekbed stone inthe tank (fairly smooth stones of course) and just swish the stones and fuel around by rocking it back and forth on the strapps to "buff" the rust off and you are then left with a pretty clean tank.

http://www.steinertractor.com/REP072-tractor-serial-numbers-19401975
Here is a book I found that should help you with your serial number problem, not only for the 101 but also the other two as well.

#7 · (Edited)
It may be a super, I honestly dont know. I have just started researching it in the past few days. With the weather getting nicer I'd like to drag them all outside and take a hose to them.
I looked at the site with the ser.#'s It is a row crop style so very well may be a '38 super. I'll have to look at the engine #'s again but I believe it had T57-503 stamped on it on the left side top front behind the generator.

#8 ·
Doubletrouble: "Want to get grandpa's old Massey runnin again."
VERY COOL! :thThumbsU

Can you post some pics of the tractors?? :thanku:

:trink39:

#9 ·
I will once I drag them out of the barn. I'm trying to get the massey running with out my uncle knowing. Sort of a surprise. He did a light restoration on it years ago. He painted it and put on new decals and he and my grandpa took it to the thrashers meet in Waseon Ohio a long time ago. I'd like to get her running then just drive her down to his place to surprise him. He only lives a half mile away and drives by all the time so I'm gonna have to leave her in the barn til she starts up. The rear wheels have sunk into the dirt floor about 18" so I'll probably have to hook a chain to her and use the truck to help her out. I cant wait to see the look on his face. I want to talk him into leaving them to me when he passes (no time soon I hope) that way they stay with the farm house where they've lived all their lives. I do have a couple pics of them in the barn on my phone I will try to post but they arnt very good. It's dark and the flash on my phone doesnt travel very far,

#11 ·
When you get a chance to take pics will be fine, just curious of what they look like. Googled the M-H 101Sr. and seen some images there. My guess is that your grandpa's is the tricycle model??

You may want to jack up the tires out of the holes and shovel in some dirt or gravel to make it easier to pull out / push back in the barn and less strain on truck / tractor! Be safe while jacking up the tractor or pulling it, tractors are fun but real heavy! If you are dragging it out of the barn have a friend ready with a couple of large wheel chocks (square Timbers 4X4 or 6X6") to throw under the rear wheels if the brakes don't work....just a suggestion...don't ask how I got a big dent in my truck's tail gate! :duh:

#12 · (Edited)
You're faster with the pics than I am with my typing! :sidelaugh:sidelaugh

Looks like a good bath with soap & scrub brush will make it shine and a good tune up will make it run like a top!

#13 ·
Thats what I'm hoping for. I know I'll have to clean up the carb and fuel tank and some new fuel line. It ran when it was parked several years ago so some tlc and some elbow grease should do it. I'll give her a good bath and lube everything up good. I'm gonna leave the paint the way it is for now just try to shine it up a bit.

#15 ·
Never heard of that but I'll give it a try.
I pulled the carb off yesterday. It will for sure need rebuilt. Being that it's a cast iron body what would be the best thing to soak it in to clean it and remove the rust? I used muratic acid on a motorcycle tank once that worked well. Would it be ok to used for this once I have it completely disassembled?
It says it's a model TR on the side, where is a reasonable place to get a rebuild kit for it?

#17 · (Edited)
Did a quick search, is it a TRX-36 Marvel Schebler Carburetor? May need to clean around the "TR" and see if anything else is stamped or cast into the carb housing.

May want to call Steiner's tractor parts and see if they have a Carb. kit.

Steiner Tractor Parts
1660 S. M-13
Lennon, MI 48449

Phone Number

Here's an instruction manual on Marvel-Scheblar, it's not on the TRX model but should give you a good idea on how to proceed.

http://l-36.com/carb.pdf

Found another link for the TRX-37 & 38 model carbs:

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Carbs/Marvel-Schebler/MS-Buda.pdf

#16 ·
A White vinegar solution works great at removing rust without being to aggressive like Muratic acid would be. There quite a few articles on the Web concerning the many uses of Vinegar. Check em' out. White vinegar is relatively cheap to buy $2.50- $3.00 a gallon at Wally World or your local grocery store. I know it cleans up coffee pots realy good. Gets the lime build up and coffee stains gone. Good for cleaning the lime out of the wife's steam iron.

HOPE THIS HELPS

#19 · (Edited)
Welcome! Keeps me sane until I can get back home and gives me something to do looking up tractor info. Plus I learn alot while doing it! Thank your son for me for his service! I'm just here supporting our route clearance troops by servicing their equipment.

Almost forgot!

Carb Cleaning MTF search results:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/gtsea...w.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?p=2118764

I like this one, may try it next time I need to and see how it does on a junk carb first!

KHodges
AKA Moses Lawnagan

Something we radio control airplane guys use to clean our glow engines, is an old Crock-Pot that has the ceramic removable tub. Fill it with antifreeze that is compatible with aluminum, disassemble the carb and put it in the crockpot on low overnight.
You can drop an entire glow engine into this solution, and it will come out looking brand new. The ethylene glycol dissolves the varnish deposits that the burnt methanol, nitromethane and castor oil fuel leaves on the engine, and doesn't harm the metal at all. Most glow engines are aluminum castings with either brass plain bearings or steel ball bearings, it doesn't hurt any of the metals.

Have fun with your project!

SD

#20 ·
Regaurdless of what you do over there you in a place where alot of us wouldn't want to be. Everyone's job there is important.
I think it's cool with technology that I'm talking tractors with someone on the other side of the planet!

#21 ·
Thanks!

Yup...technology is very COOL! I've met a bunch of great people and I can research tractors and my other interests from right here in my hooch! :thThumbsU

#27 ·
The picture is a 101R, the 101 super came latter when they increased the engine size. There used to be a company that made replacement side panals for a bunch of different tractors like the massey 101's, oliver fleet line models.

My 101R has a zenith carb on it.
soak it in paint thinner then rince in hot soapy water then plain hotwater and blow the jets and channels dry.

#28 ·
If I soak it in paint thinner should I remove the needle? There are a few brass "plugs" that thread into the body, should I remove those also and will there be any tiny parts falling out if I do?
As far as it being a 101R, I looked at the serial# site that someone else linked up in this thread. From what I could tell it's a super but I'm just going off what I read. I just need her working since I just got a call from a friend that has a 6ft PTO driven field mower I can get for free to mow the pasture down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.