My Tractor Forum banner

Craftsman 2 wont stay running

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  willy1430 
#1 ·
I have a craftsman 2 18 hp Briggs. It will run if I pour gas in the carb but it wont stay running. The carb seems to be getting gas. I dont have the breather assembly on but I dont think that would be the promblem. Any help would be appreciated.

#4 ·
That model should have a Briggs-
422437-1256-01

It IS equipped with a carb fuel solenoid-
Check to make sure it clicks when you turn the ignition on.

More likely, the fuel pump (part of the carb with the vacuum pulse hose) is bad or main jet is clogged. Also, make sure the pulse hose is intact. IF it's "leaky", it won't "pulse" the diaphragm in the pump.

You can download the IPL from the Briggs website using the engine number I posted. It WILL be helpful.

A pump repair kit is available with or without a carb kit.

#8 ·
OK Willy.. Looks like yer gonna have to give the ole girl a fuel system service.. You pulled the carb apart and checked the solenoid?? Did you also clean out the bowl and check / clean the jets? Check your fuel pump by cranking it a lil with the fuel line unhooked from the carb (put out yer smoke!) If all OK there then check your tank cap for vent restrictions.. If you have done all this she should go..

#9 ·
Yes I pulled the carb took it all apart could see through all the jes I pulled.
No fuel solenoid
Drained fuel take put in fresh fuel
fuel pump, pumps out fuel. Are these fuel pumps all or nothing or can they pump still but pump to little.
New plugs.

At this point my best guess is trying some seafoam, I drained the tank but I dont think I got every bit of the old fuel out. The tactor isnt at my house so I have limited opportunity to work on it.

#16 ·
How's your forehead Willy??:banghead3

You have fuel in the bowl? Is the float set correctly? (level with bottom of carb when closed) When you spray fuel in it does it pop back thru the carb- aka sticking intake valve? Hard to diagnose thru the computer here.. Keep at it and you'll get it..

#13 ·
I had the same problem . There is a hole in the firewall with a plastic plug it is in front of the carb adjustment . mine almost vibrated completly out had to run with choke on . Put a little lock tite on it and after putting in all the way I adjusted it ou 3 turns , runs fine now

#14 ·
Hello,
New to this site. I have a Craftsman 18/6 is what the decal on my tractor says but it looks exactly like the 16/6 tractors I've seen on this site. When I bought the tractor it ran very strong and then my dilema, it began to miss but the miss is sporadic, so I rebuilt the carb and it ran wonderfully for about two hours and same problem occurred. So now I'm starting to think I misdiagnosed the problem and it's actually a sticky exhaust valve. Any suggestions. The other thing I don't understand is it has an Onan engine that my owners manual and my decal say is an 18 horse yet it looks exactly like the 16/6's I see on this site. So what's up. I also called the Onan mfr in Las Vegas and some young rep told me Onan has never put an Onan engine in a Sears garden tractor. Any ideas from the old timers. Thanks

#15 ·
That guy should be fired,because Sears used Onans in quite a few tractors (Roper built) in the 70s!...
I think the 16 and 18 HP "BF" model Onans were the ones they used..you know,I really hate it when someone at a company who's supposed to KNOW their product,doesnt really know SQUAT !..

....off topic example:

--I go to the local Comcast company,to see about getting digital cable boxes--first off,the lady there says she "knows nothing about a free digital box offer"--(It was posted in the local paper!)--then she asks a co-worker,who says "I THINK thats only for "basic" cable customers,NOT those who have the "digital economy" package (what we have!)--then she says "So you'll habve to RENT a cable box for every analog TV ,for 2 dollars a month per box"...

OK--so I ask if an "aftermarket" store bought digital converter box will work,and all the women in the office start clucking..one says "It MIGHT work,but only up to channel 100,or whatever the upper limit of that particular box is"...another says "Oh no,they wont work at ALL with Comcast's signals,only OUR boxes will get ALL the channels your paying for"...another says "I'm not really sure.."..

I left there thouroghly confused,aggravated,and ticked off about being talked into getting the "digital economy package" a few months back to avoid "losing" channels,and now I find out if I had kept BASIC cable,I'd be getting two FREE converter boxes,now I'll have to PAY to get any,because their "digital economy package" was designed to SAVE us money..HOW?...now every day another channel dissapears from every TV ,but the one hooked to the Comcast box..:mad:..

#17 ·
It has been a few weeks since I looked at it. I poured fresh gas in the carb and it would fire and almost sound like it was over reving slightly but would die after a few seconds. I was told those fule pumps are all or nothing they either work or they dont. Anyone know if that is true. When I drained the gas and put fresh in it would run and chug for a little bit, backfired a couple of times. I was going to use this to plow snow but got a yanmar ym 122, it has sit since. I would stil love to get it running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.