PYT9000 46" Deck, Expansion spring?? - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 04-04-2012, 06:37 PM   post #1 of 7
jerry_nj
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 1077
Default PYT9000 46" Deck, Expansion spring??

The question may not have any direct relation to the 46" twin blade deck, but if it does, that is what I have.

I decided to pull the deck (now one year old) so I could remove the two blades and sharpen them. The very large nuts (26mm impact socket worked) were really tight and I figured the best way to remove them was to use an impact wrench...thank god for impact wrenches, it worked with little pain beyond having to pull the deck. I'm going from memory on the 26 mm part.

To pull the deck I had to remove the single mower belt from the PTO pulley. First I had to remove the belt keeper at the PTO. This is in itself an interesting piece of hardware with no waring in the manual that it interlocks with the PTO on the right hand side.

To my subject: when reinstalling the deck I noticed a small spring, perhaps a few inches long and maybe 5 pounds pull at an inch of stretch, was hanging from the PTO... no clue where it hooks. Not to be delayed I just took it off and when I started the engine and engaged the deck everything seemed to be working properly.

Going to the parts breakdown I see (page 44 my manual) a look-a-like spring shown attached to a slot in the PTO (above the belt pulley)..but no indication where the other end connects. The spring has the name "Extension Spring .56 OD x 5.52Lg. I haven't measured my spring but the 5" length seems about right if it is the measure end-to-end, not just the coil part.

I'd appreciate any advice on where to connect this spring...anyone with the PYT9000 may have an example in their hands, it may be necessary that it has a 46" deck, but I don't think that matters.

1993 Craftsman GT6000 18 HP B&S twin L-head 44" 3-blade deck, - Avatar and duty GT
2005 Craftsman DYT4000 42" 2-blade deck - B&S 18.5 Intek - new head gasket twice in 500 hr. Was hit by a Pine tree blown down by Hurricane Sandy Oct.2012. But I now have the PYT9000 and a real mowing machine
2011 Craftsman PYT9000 B&S 26 HP Professional and 46" 2-blade deck. Wife said "ANOTHER TRACTOR?"
I replied "Yep"
jerry_nj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 12:23 PM   post #2 of 7
dlleno
MTF enthusiast

MTF Member # 63025
Default Re: PYT9000 46" Deck, Expansion spring??

I didn't get a chance to peak at my PTO yet. However, after studying the diagram and talking to MTD it appears the purpose of this spring is to dampen the chatter of the clutch when it is not engaged. Per MTD, the other end of the spring should attach to the frame rail.

My guess is that, armed with this information you'll instantly be able to find the original attachment point for that spring. good luck!
  • Gators not available yet, but MTD supplies a serrated "extreeme mulching blade" part #942-04290-x.
  • For bagging leaves ,use the OE high-lift blade: one or more passes in reverse prior to final forward pass produces great results.
  • Universal 12.5 cu ft. poly cart
  • decided to pass on the aerator: They make the tranny work too hard.
dlleno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 04:01 PM   post #3 of 7
dlleno
MTF enthusiast

MTF Member # 63025

I checked under my PYT9000 and guess what: I have no spring there at all! I see the tab there on the clutch where it should go, but no such spring. I'll have to check that out next time I fire her up -- to see if there is movement/chatter as suggested by the MTD guy I spoke with. Sounds like a call to Sears is in order as well.

Very enlightening Jerry thanks for bringing this topic up.

oh -- and without an impact wrench I too found myself wondering about the gorilla who put those blades on there in the first place. But with a serious breaker bar and some amusing bodily positions for leverage I got em off. I think I need an impact wrench...

the wrench needed is 15/16ths or 24mm

Also -- with regards to the belt guard: Indeed, I was starting to wonder if one could live without it, when I noticed the same thing you did -- that it is interlocked to the clutch and appears to provide some stability of some sort to the clutch itself. It takes a little getting used to before you figure out how to quickly re-install it, but I've had my deck off now twice, and now its quite easy and quick for me.

I'm checking my blades several times throughout the year to track their condition and balance, so far busting the myth that blades don't maintain balance as they accumulate grass
  • Gators not available yet, but MTD supplies a serrated "extreeme mulching blade" part #942-04290-x.
  • For bagging leaves ,use the OE high-lift blade: one or more passes in reverse prior to final forward pass produces great results.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:00 PM   post #4 of 7
dlleno
MTF enthusiast

MTF Member # 63025

Here is a photo looking up at my PTO from the ground. The spring was not installed on mine, so thats why it appears missing here. I've marked where the parts diagram indicates it should go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	spring location.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	207700
Old 04-24-2012, 06:30 PM   post #5 of 7
dlleno
MTF enthusiast

MTF Member # 63025

this is odd -- I thought I posed a reply to this earlier but don't see it now. moreover, jerry sent me a PM that I didn't receive as well. huh.

anyway the status on my PYT9000 spring is that sears sent me one and I installed it. see below photo (the front deck support "brace" is visible in the photo this time because the deck was installed).

I couldn't verify the install via the service manual or a repair technician, but I found a mount location that appears to fulfill the implied objectives of the part, which is to apply a small force in a direction opposite to the natural rotation of the clutch internals, to reduce chatter. I've got mine installed but frankly it didn't make any difference and even though I feel good about it, I'm not convinced it is requried or that it provides a measureable benefit!

Click image for larger version

Name:	spring location_.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	210171
Old 04-25-2012, 09:24 PM   post #6 of 7
jerry_nj
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 1077

Thanks, I'll refer to the photo when I install my spring.

I note here that in a private communication I noted that the subject spring is shown in my paper owner manual parts breakdown but not on the web site breakdown - I was mistaken, I had it in my mind that the spring was shown on the figure covering the deck, it is not.

So, I'll make use of the information to install the spring on my tractor, even though I can not detect any operational problems when mowing with the spring not connected.

EDIT: No, I just went to the Sears Web Site parts breakdown (interesting too, it will accept the PYT9000 for the model number, not requiring the 247.288881 model number) and looked at the "PTO and Battery" figure and indeed the spring is not shown on the web, but is shown on the paper manual. Not very interesting perhaps, but I take it to mean in an update Sears decided the spring is not needed.

1993 Craftsman GT6000 18 HP B&S twin L-head 44" 3-blade deck, - Avatar and duty GT
2005 Craftsman DYT4000 42" 2-blade deck - B&S 18.5 Intek - new head gasket twice in 500 hr. Was hit by a Pine tree blown down by Hurricane Sandy Oct.2012. But I now have the PYT9000 and a real mowing machine
2011 Craftsman PYT9000 B&S 26 HP Professional and 46" 2-blade deck. Wife said "ANOTHER TRACTOR?"
I replied "Yep"

Last edited by jerry_nj; 04-25-2012 at 09:29 PM.
jerry_nj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 04:36 PM   post #7 of 7
dlleno
MTF enthusiast

MTF Member # 63025

no operational problems noted for me either -- Today while mowing I found my spring lying in the grass, apparently it fell off just as yours did! I haven't decided whether or not to re-install; it may be more of a pain than a benefit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.