My Tractor Forum banner

Who has an old Tomahawk chipper Shreader?

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  patf 
#1 ·
I picked up an 8HP Tomahawk III model 10941 circa 1984. The engine is running good after I put a new float in it. I have an issue with the belt. It has a Napa 5L290W belt currently, but it is a bit too long. I think it may have stretched a 1/2 inch as that belt is listed as a 29 inch belt.

I think some models have an adjustment to move the engine up/down, but this one has screw to move an idler pully in/out to tighten the belt

Since I can't find the manual, it is hard to know the part for sure, but it looks like tomahawk II and III have the same part list from one parts place I found and it looks like the original part was W5290SPL, or a Murray 97133.

What are any of you using?

#3 ·
I have tried 5L280, the OEM belt lasted forever I cannot get a new belt to last for one good chipping session. They stretch so fast. I ordered online I think I used a Gates brand belt. Good luck. Did you get the tow bar made yet?

#7 ·
I got the Napa belt today 5L290W. Is that what you meant 290? or did you get a shorter belt? I think a 28 inch belt would work since i have quite a bit of adjustment.

Anyway, as you said one chipping session and that thing is already stretched. I will get another one tomorrow, and if possible a shorter one if they have such a thing.

I think the original OEM was a W5L290SPL. Have you just been lucky enough to find someone who still had some in stock?

As for the towbar, I bought my metal bar, and am looking for a good day to put it together. Now that I've used this chipper for a few hours, I'd have to say it is a keeper and worthy of the effort to build a towbar. It works much better than an old Craftsman 5hp that I had for about 10 years.

#5 ·
#8 ·
I can not find any info on the original belt size for the 1980's Troy Built. The new ones use the W5L290SPL, the 5 = the width in 1/8 of an inch, the 290 is nominal length. It specs out as 29 1/4? I will use the True Blue that Ken has been using in 28 inch.
When this chipper is working it really puts out and cuts some wood. It is worth the effort. I have the owners manual and know how to adjust the idler. Your machine is different according to the pics we have sent. Good luck

#9 ·
Ken and Lou thanks for the replies.

At least I don't feel bad streatching the NAPA belt in one day. It's good to know the 28 inch works for you. It should work for me too there seems to be plenty of adjustment that way. Here is a diagram from a tomahawk !V, but my III has the same idler pully adjustment

The Red loop circles the idler pully and its swingin adjustment. The Green arrow points to the adjustmen screw which makes the pully swing in / out. Note there is a third pulley attached to the chipper flails/blade that is lower than the other 2 and is shown in a different diagram.

The 29 1/4 inch belt would work if i did not stretch, but it sounds like the 28 inch would be a sure bet. I'll order one of the true blues.

#10 ·
Ken,

I picked up a Napa 5L280W 28 inch belt and found it barely fit on my tomahawk III. So far it is working ok, but I only did 2hrs since putting it on, I've not had it loosen up yet where I have to adjust the idler. But I have the idler fully brought in and the belt is still so tight that the engine can not run without the whole chipper turning over. So that makes it difficult to start by hand.

You menioned you use the 28 inch belt. Do you have that same idler pully set up I have? See my diagram in the previous post. for my case it seems like a 28.5 inch belt would be about perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.