My Tractor Forum banner

Need help on a sears suburban 725

11K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  fixemup 
#1 ·
ok here goes, long story......... Anyhow I have this tractor, when I got this thing it was not running it had been repainted, by a kid. They used this tractor for fun not to restore. I paid $75 for the tractor with a plow, 42" mower deck, and cultivator attachment. I had no intrest in the mower I just wanted a plow tractor for this winter. There is no stickers or model number plates, no identifying numbers. The only thing on there are casting numbers of the various parts. I have matched this up to a sears suburban 725. People on this site thought 63-64. The engine code matches up to a 66. Here is what I need:
I need to know what the belt sizes are, I have looked all over the net and apparently not well enough because I have come up with nothing. I dont want to match them up to the old ones because I dont know how bad they are strechted. I feel like when I am trying to go full speed that the belt could be slipping and loosing power. I am not 100% possitive because I have never owned a tractor like this to compare it to.
The other thing I need to know is what horse motor I have. I know alot of you guys will be able to look at the codes and tell me off the top of your heads. That is why I seek you for advice.
Model: 19
Type: 706052
Serial: 667412

Thank you in advance
Tom

See less See more
#2 ·
Some pictures would help.GT_80 has a thread in the sticky section with a link to a web page where he has posted several manuals for vintage tractors.Hopefully he has your tractor in it.It may take a little longer without the model# for your machine.You can cross reference after the original part # is found.Usually a belt isn't going to streach more than an inch or two before it breaks.

#3 ·
Here are a few Pictures. I understand what you are saying about the belts, but I want to get them exact as possible, so I can rule that out as a problem. The other thing is these pulleys are like auto tensioning, I have never seen such a thing so I want to be sure what size they are

Attachments

#4 ·
Wow! you have a David Bradley Suburban.Those are really neat little tractors.Do a search for Vintage Sear Tractors.You should be able to get a model# from there.

#5 ·
The model # for a 63 is 917.60623 or 917.60624.

#8 ·
I'm no expert by any means,it being a 63 model means it was manufactured by DB for Sears.DB made the tractors for sears up to 65.After 65 Roper made the Suburbans.

#7 · (Edited)
the looks of it and see the muffler come's out of the grill in front nice Tractor more info
725 Suburban Tractor

7.25 HP Briggs and Stratton engine (3" bore, 2 5/8" stroke) with mechanical governer . One lever FWD/NEUTRAL/REV. Continuously variable speed from 2.1 MPH to 4.6 MPH with speed changer. True differential. Independent rear wheel brakes. Dimensions - 37 1/4 " high, 34 " wide, 63 1/2 " long overall. Wheel base 43 3/8 ". Front wheels 16" dia, 4.00X8, Rear wheels 24" dia, 6.00X12. Colors 'Seaton Blue' (dark) and 'Artic White' wheels

Attachments

#9 ·
long belt is 5/8 by 70. belt from motor to variable speed pulleys is 5/8 by 29 and the reverse belt is 1/2 by 27. Motor is 7.25 horsepower hence the 725. And it isn't from 66. many people confuse the "serial" number of the motor with the later "code" number. ist two numerals of the Code number signifies year but 1st two of the serial does not. There is a website where you can date these cast iron motors by serial number. Model 19's are some of the best motors briggs ever built IMO.
Cool tractors but not worth a whole lot of money.. (maybe someday?) They made a lot of them. I have 3 of that type and use them all the time. Just beginning rebuilding an older on from 59. Good Luck and please keep us posted! Rick

#13 ·
well i do plan on keeping it. going to use it for snow plowing this winter. that is the main reason I need to make sure the belts are right, so they are not slipping when I push a load of snow. I have heard they have alot of pushing and pulling power. but I have no snow yet to verify

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.