My Tractor Forum banner

Allis Chalmers Lawn Tractor

22K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  jimmychoi 
#1 ·
I just bought an Allis Chalmers AC-130 lawn tractor. Does anyone know anything about them? I have never heard of them and it must be their first year of production. It looks like a well built machine. It is powered by a 23 HP Briggs two cylinder engine and a hydro drive. Any comments on these?

#5 ·
Allis Chalmers is Now AGCO or Allis/Gleaner. Allis owned Simplicity from the 1960's until the early 1980's When they owned Simplicity are Goverment Thought they would have a monoply on the Lawn and Garden tractor market so The Allis Chamers L&G tractor were made in the south with the discharge shoots on the oposite side of the mowing deck opposit of what the Simplicity's had But basicly the same tractor The Simplicity's were made up it Port Washington Wis. That new AC is based The Simplicity Regent Tractor. Here are some link for Allis Chalmers http://www.agcocorp.com/default.cfm/PID=1.3.4 and http://www.simpletractors.com/

#6 ·
We have a few at work, sitting next to a new Regent it is very close. The hood openings up front are like the snapper, not the regent.

The deck isnt a full roller style, and the deck height is set by notches in the fender, not the simplicity style.

Good little machine, there is an All Wheel Steer version coming soon. AC-135 I think it is called.

Put a snapper, Massey Fergusson 23/44, Simp Regent, and AC-130 in a line and the differences are subtle besides color. The simplicity is the parent unit however, with all the other sub-brands based off of it, the simp wil have all the bells and whistles however.

Such as the Massey Ferguson Z mowers, and there brothers the Simp Z mowers. Same frame, engine, controls, pumps, etc...but no suspension on the Massey.

#7 ·
whoops Your right it was the Snapper LT100 the Murray clones.

#8 ·
RED-85 Thanks for the link. I am looking at a B-10 AC with a few atchments. The person wanted 350 for all and he said it needed some work or a tune up. I think i'll go ahead and get it and put the restoraton on the Bolens on the side. Sound funny but the tractor was built only 6 miles from where I live.

#12 ·
The Allis Chalmers name and right's belong to AGCO. These AC rebages will be sold at Simplicity Dealers. Briggs makes them but does not own the rights to the Name. When Allis sold Simplicity to employees Part of the deal was they would countinue to make outdoor Power equipment under there label Allis,Deutz/allis and now Agco. AGCO as AGCO never owned Simplicity. Simplicity was owned By Allis Chalmers Which eventually became part of AGCO. AGCO gave them permission to use the Name So I would not say these are owned by Briggs outdoor Power. Just made By Briggs :thThumbsU

#13 · (Edited)
From some other forums I've run across, the Allis Chalmers name and logo are owned by Allis Chalmers Energy, Inc.. They are the company that has licensed the name and logo to Briggs & Stratton.

(Apparently A-C sold the tractor divsion to Deuzt-Fahr, but other divisions continued, with the energy division now the remaining portion of the original company.)

My understanding is that the new A-C models are currently based off of the entry level Snapper riders designed for "big stores" (like those being sold for Sears), and are being made with those model Snappers at the former Murray plant that B&S received in Murray's bankruptcy.

In other forums it was claimed that the deck is primarily a Murray deck design, and that these Snappers and A-Cs are designed to be a good quality entry level mower that is price competitive with the Big Box store versions of John Deere, Toro, and Cub Cadet.

fwiw

#15 ·
Tecumsehmaverick The Allis Chalmers name for AG and Lawn Products Belong to ACGO not the Allis Chalmers energy INC. AGCO is it own company today called the Allis Gleaner company. Deutz is no longer part of AGCO. Welcome to the Forum :thThumbsU

#16 ·
I bought one of these to replace a 2004 Regent with a 16HP Honda Twin. Thought I would save $950 because this is basically a Regent tractor with a Snapper Deck. The same tractor is available as a Snapper in Red color.

I wish I had spent the extra money on a Regent. Although the tractor is solid, the cut quality is poor. The deck has to be pulled and cleaned after every use cause it constantly clogs with clippings. I even went as far as spending $120 on a mulching kit, but that made it even worse.

If this is all you want to spend, then it's not a bad machine, but the JD 145 costs about the same and probably has a better deck.

#17 ·
Hello guys,
I'm a noob that just purchased our first new lawn tractor. I had a budget of $1500-1700, and I just purchased an AC130. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on these around as of yet, so I hope that I've made the right choice. I was wondering if you could give me some tips on things I need to know about buying a new lawn tractor...particularly this model. Also, to those that have purchased an AC 130, how has it been treating you thus far?? THanks
James :thanku:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.