Garden 2012 - Page 23 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Home Garden Herbs and Veggies grown at home

Old 10-01-2012, 10:45 PM   post #331 of 343
RDR
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 4731
Default Re: Garden 2012

These are butternut squash, roma tomatoes and a sugar baby. It is only 8" in diameter. It looks like ten the way I was holding the tape and camera.

The pictures used to come up the way I loaded them. Now they don't.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 09:31 AM   post #332 of 343
Jim-Iowa
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 53980

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDR View Post
We can ship you some fresh mosquitoes. Should have a new batch in a couple of days. Do you want the little "no see'ums" that are the size of a gnat but burn when they bite, the mid size, or the ones we call the Cessna 180. You wait for the door to open and the pilot to get out. All varieties will hunt you down, day or night.
None for me thank you !! Thats been the nicest part of being in a drought!
Jim-Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 10:29 AM   post #333 of 343
rvgary
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 37774

WOW!,
Seems like ages since I have checked it. Been Busy Busy!! My Son, Wife and three kids moved back from Florida where she retired out of the AF, They bought a house near by and have been working on it before they move in. So in the mean time They are living in my house and Gramp moved out to my motor home. Love them kids to death but Gramp needs his space. LOL
As to the garden it did OK . I have had much better gardens but I had a Good tomato crop and in my book that is all that counts . The rest of the garden can dry up and blow way as long as the matters are good . We had a very dry summer as did many. I tried to water but I have found you can water till you are blue in the face and nothing will do like a inch or two of rain. We did luck out and get a couple of rains that many did not get so that helped out.
Well just thought I'd drop in and say Howdy. I need to go back and read some of the post I have missed
The Garden is cleaned off and waiting for next Spring
Old 11-05-2012, 11:38 PM   post #334 of 343
RDR
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 4731

This is a volunteer. I have no idea what it is nor have I ever seen anything like it. I have a feeling it was a hybrid. The leaves sort of look like a watermelon. Does anyone know what the white is on the leaves? My butternut squash and pumpkins did the same thing after the last rain. What ever it is, it grew fast to the size of the one in my hand and seems to have stopped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown 2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	235850   Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown plant.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	235852  
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2012, 10:29 PM   post #335 of 343
RDR
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 4731

My hot bannana peppers are still producing. Sweet ones never did seem to recover from neglect this summer. Bell peppers are doing well. Still getting a few celebrity, roma and large cherry tomatoes. I may get a few more zuchinni.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:48 PM   post #336 of 343
RDR
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 4731

I put my last 3 butternuts in the oven a few minutes ago. Later I need to pick tomatoes since they are calling for a frost tonight. I have a few that I will cover along with my bell peppers. I'll still pick the ones that are turning.

Houston is getting some rough weather. The front blew through here without a drop of rain.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:55 PM   post #337 of 343
Concrete Plants
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 37070

I read through all twenty plus pages this morning. I haven't grown a garden in years but you guys have inspired me. It will be a few months before we can get to gardening up here but when I see what you have produced and think about garden fresh vegies it make my mouth water.

Concrete plants
Concrete Plants is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 05:57 PM   post #338 of 343
gray wolf
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 40073

those white things look like egg plants.
gray wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 12:37 AM   post #339 of 343
RDR
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 4731

I guess it's over this year. I is 38 and falling. The temp. has dropped 40 degrees in the last six hours. I almost turned the a/c on this afternoon. Now the furnace is running. The wind is still blowing 30+ mph. There is no way to cover anything. I picked over 20 lbs of tomatoes. Maybe with a little luck we won't have a frost.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:19 PM   post #340 of 343
bja105
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 73812

I had another good year, but I didn't take enough pictures.
I had three gardens this year. A 4x8 raised bed in the front yard was new, plus the backyard garden was 35x35. At my parent's farm, I had a garden about 30x100.
Here are some pics from the farm. Since I am not there every day, I planted things that didn't need much attention, like weeding or frequent harvest. I used deep mulch of waste hay for the melons and squash. The Peanuts would have been better if I had done long rows instead of a weedy wide bed. Plus, the rodents got more peanuts than me.

I'm looking forward to next year. I have added a few garden tractors, cultivator, and plows.
bja105 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 12:38 AM   post #341 of 343
RDR
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 4731

Good looking fruit and veggies. I'm not done after all. It didn't freeze last night. Tonight the wind let up and I think there will be a frost. I covered the peppers and tomatoes I still have.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:25 AM   post #342 of 343
RDR
3K Poster!!!!

MTF Member # 4731

The last of the roma tomatoes went through the blender night before last. I put in the spaghetti seasoning, simmered awhile, let it cool and put it in the fridge. Tonight it was bagged and put in the freezer. When the toss salads in the fridge are gone that is the end of the tomatoes.

My bell and hot banana peppers got frost burned Thursday night. I picked most of the bell peppers except those at the bottom where the plants weren't burned and cut the plants back. I cut the banana peppers back also. Today I dug them up and put them next to the bell peppers so I only have one small area to cover.
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 10:52 AM   post #343 of 343
Alchymist
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 53364

6*F here last night, can't plow yet! Doesn't mean the growing season is over:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seeds1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	245267  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.