My Tractor Forum banner

Snowblower chute tilt control wth wires?

14K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  kccraftswoman 
#1 ·
I have searched the forums but have not been able to find a chute tilt control with wires

I am readying the Bolens snowblower attachment for the winter. I modified and mounted the chute rotation control. Now it would be great to control the chute tilt from the seat, and bicycle brake cables seem OK. I think electric actuators are too expensive for me.

#3 ·
The Ariens blowers used on the GT and Grand Sierra tractors used a cable for positioning the deflector from the operators seat. It was a single cable, heavier than a bicycle brake cable though, and would lock in position with a quarter turn of the operators handle on the end. It mounts to the same bracket that holds the chute crank near the operator, and on the chute there is small angle bracket for holding the cable housing. The cable attaches to the deflector with a small tab welded to the deflector. A small drawing could be seen here - http://www.rcpw.com/lookup/?aribran...qsFVvm8Nk9cw==|brand_Ubewbx*29WQT/74HFlnnAA==
It would be very easy to make and attach the two little brackets on the chute and deflector to hold the cable. I've never tried a bike cable so I don't know if it would be strong enough for the push/pull but a cable assembly from an Ariens parts supplier (complete with handle, attaching nuts, and threaded pivot for attaching to deflector) runs about $70.00 or so.
I'm adding this to my Ariens tractor blower for this season. I haven't installed it yet so I can't get any pictures for you right now, but I'll have it done in a couple days and can take some pics if you're interested.
Just a thought.

#4 ·
#5 ·
i used a window motor for the rotate and might be using an electiric actuator that i am watching on ebay.if i don't get that motor, then i will go to plan (B) and use a window motor for the up and down and i am trying to find a circuit to run both motors by 1 joystick(that i bought off ebay cheap).when i find the circuit that will work i'll pass it along .i do know that there are at least 4 relays in the circuit for both motors. tootles . K.C.:050::bellyemot:bellyemot:050:

#6 ·
a bike cable would only work if it had a spring return in one direction- they are menat to pull only not push- on the other hand a cable that is used for a Hurst or B&M shifter for a car would work well... Just a matter oh how and where to hook it up and how much travel you need... I just as soon get off the tractor to change the chute angle- it almost NEVER gets moved on my machine, and the chute rotates side to side with a rotating handle and cable assembly

B&M replacement cable

#7 ·
The info and pictures helped, thanks! I agree a bike cable is not enough to push. I am going to try two cables in a pull-pull arrangement like the Craftsman units. JD has a single cable pull with a spring to rock the deflector the other way.

I will post pics showing how it goes or if it turns out totally ridiculous.

#8 ·
here's what I built with a cheap 12v motor, 1/4" drive socket universal joint, & some 1/2" threaded rod - I had a little trouble with it detting stuck at the ends though, so I put compression springs over the 1/2" rod on either side of the nut mounted on the chute & it works great now - just have to keep it lubed up

Attachments

#9 ·
I saw one that used a motor from a cordless drill. Most people have a few of those around that the battery has expired on.

If you want to go with steel cable, use two cables pulling in opposite directions, not one with a spring return. Water invariably gets inside the cable and it freezes. At least with two cables you have a chance to work it loose.

#10 ·
Here is the first functional design I came up with for the chute deflector. The cost was a $5 pack of bicycle cables and some scrap I had around. The Bolens deflector does NOT have a single pivot point, so it was more difficult to modify than other tractors. The handle is 1/2 of barbecue tongs.:)

I modeled the Ariens design. The return spring on most spring+cable systems is very weak; it depends on the blast of snow to lift it upwards so I used a little bungee cord. I also copied the cable lift control facing downward so water does not run into the cable sleeve

I really like the little 12v motor with a threaded rod. Very simple! I will try that if I can find a similar motor. Linear actuators are way overkill at $170.

I will let you know how well it works in snow!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.