My Tractor Forum banner

Homemade cab.

96K views 66 replies 41 participants last post by  VTPSD 
#1 ·
Hi all,

This is a repost of something I submitted a while ago, but which keeps coming up, and for whatever reason, the search engine finds hard to find.

So, I have a JD 2210 tractor. A friend of mine who builds race cars made this cab. It is entirely made of aluminum and held together by 1/4 turn Dzus fasteners. It comes on and off so easy, I'll bet some of you can't remove your MMM as quick.

Here are some pics:

Aluminum uprights bolt to ROPS:

Attach to exisiting inside ROPS holes as shown:

ROPS lights are shrowded as shown:

A view from the inside:

Please go to page 2

See less See more
#30 ·
Hmm . . . :) :) :)

#32 ·
Thanks! :)

#33 ·
That cab is actually much nicer than the factory Deere cab I had on my 425 :)

#34 ·
You guys are the best! :)

#36 ·
That is some nice cab for home made,great job.

#38 ·
Great work! Hands down, the best homemade cab I've seen. Great craftsmanship, simple, clean lines, functional and stylish.

:congrats:

I posted a thread in the snow removal section to see if any of the Sears SS guys had built a cab since I've been throwing around the idea of maybe building a cab for one of mine. I'm good with wood, but unfortunately I don't have a lot of experience with metal fab..

#39 ·
Joe, thanks. :) Wood would certainly work, the only comment is that is might be pretty heavy by the time you made it structurally sound.

#41 ·
Tee shirt snowblowing! It does get a bit chilly though when you're about a 1/4 mile from the home and shear a pin. :)

#48 ·
Yes, it is a bus style that remains square to the window frame. The fulcrum rod is the key. I have the cab put away for the summer, but when I get it out again can get some close up pics. :)

#49 ·
That would be very cool. I wasn't horrible in geometry, so I should be able to figure it out.

Looks like the fulcrum rod has to be the same length as the wiper arm is and the piece of metal connecting the wiper to the fulcrum needs to be the same distance apart as the distance of the wiper motor and fulcrum mount?

that way its like a parallelogram, right?

#50 ·
See if the following (clickable) pics help:

#52 ·
If you look at post # 4 and the pic titled "tower covers footpad" you will see the sheetmetal of the tower (upright) goes between the black cowl brace and the hood and side cover. A single bolt goes through the plastic footwell pan and holds it in place. The rest of the cab rigidity comes from all the dzus fasteners with only the two footwell bolts and six fasteners on the ROPS. :)

#57 ·
Nice! Has to be one of the best looking cabs for a 4000 series I've seen. Perfect fabrication!

Sent from the MTF Free App

#59 ·
Looks a lot like the OEM cab we have on a 430 at work. The cabs nice until you hit a square edge in the concrete with the plow and it sends you head first into the windshield. I usually hit the support member in the roof first though. I've had to stop and gather my thoughts along with a little forehead flesh off that support a time or two.

#60 ·
Great awesome cab. I've read this post several times and always have the same question. Are the disconnects on the heater hose standard garden hose disconnects or are they special?

If they're standard garden hose disconnects, how have they held up over the years? My garden hose disconnects usually leak in a couple of years.

If they're special for coolant lines, what are they?

Thanks and sorry for opening the old thread.

#61 ·
They are gas/propane disconnects and still holding up after all these years. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.