My Tractor Forum banner

Terramite

30K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  Aksarben96 
#1 ·
Hello all! New to the forum but have owned, operated and maintained smaller equipment for many years. I'm primarily a JD guy but have halfwitted knowledge of most anything mechanical. My question is about Terramite as I seldom see much forum input. I have about 7 acres, woods, hills, flats, yard, and ditches to take care of. I'm considering buying a compact TLB but I don't necessarily need a 20+ grand, cadillac series nor am I much of a diesel mechanic. I know Terramite is an American made machine mostly running Kohler 20HP gas engines. Ugly as sin, I've seen used machines on Ebay in favorable price ranges. I don't know anyone who has owned one and would like to hear opinions. My intended useage is removing small to med stumps, ditches, maintaining my long driveway, etc.. Thanks!

Buckone

#2 ·
I know you didn't ask, and maybe have some reason as to why, but I will throw my two cents in anyway!

Look at a Case or Ingersoll 600 series, or the newer 6000 series. Better yet, the 7020 with 4 wheel drive. I think you will find them easier on the pocket book, both short term and long term.
You can go to :http://www.ingersolltractors.com/catalog.htm And look at parts catalogs for any past model, as well as, on the "home" page, look at current models. They have the same basic, proven drive train since the "60's. Far fewer parts to worry about and most major parts are indestructible. I looked at Terrimites before buying my first 646 FEL, and have since moved up to the 7020 LBH, and still smile everytime I climb into the seat!

JMHO!

#3 ·
Thanks, Magnum RT, for the ingersoll link. Looks like a great machine although the 7020 is so new to the market trying to find a used one in a favorable price range may take awhile. I know Ingersoll is a worthy machine. Guess my main objective is finding a reliable used, compact gas operated TLB below 12 grand. Pickin's seem to be slim on ebay in the compact categories and the Kubota, JD's, mostly diesel, in the 12 grand or below have huge hour useage. Hoping to hear from a Terramite owner as I just need an older reliable machine.....can't justify 15-20 grand.

#4 ·
I don't own one either, but have read about them in another forum I follow closely. Most of the owners are very happy with theirs with only one who sounds like had a basket case that caused many problems while getting restored.

Many of the older units were built on Power King tractors and from what I know from owning one of them is that they are very solid machines. If I copied the link correctly, here is the web site for Terramite: http://www.terramite.com/

I hope this helps a bit. Good luck with your tractor search.

#5 ·
I never owned a Terramite,nor do I know anyone who has--but I will say the one I saw at a KOA in Nashville back in 1992 ,really impressed me--.

They had a busted water pipe under the road,and the Terramite had NO problem using it's backhoe to pound through the asphalt and dig down to the pipe,I was quite surprised to see a "lightweight" tractor do such work,without it having to be "whipped",if you know what I mean..

I see many of them at rental places,if they stand up to that kind of abuse,they cant be all that bad,IMO!..

#6 ·
This may be gone, but worth checking. Even with trucking, would be worth checking out!

"I have a 6018 tractor/backhoe for sale, listed on Craigs list.
runs and works great,4000 or 5000 with 7000lb tandom trailer.
please contact at champ150@... or 608-513-1007
near Madison,WI"

I don't believe the Terrimite is available in 4 wd, so not in the same class as a 7020, in my opinion.

I do agree that the Terrimite is a fine piece of equipment, but does not generally compare to the Hydraulic driven Case/ Ingersoll!

As far ad digging power, I dropped an 80 foot 18 inch on thestump Oak in my back yard with my 7020LBH, and lifted the stump out of the hole. Had to extend the hoe all the way out to keep the rear wheels on the ground, but lifted it and backed out of the hole! I have been amazed at the number of knowledgable people who shake there heads in disbelief (including me) at what it will do.

#7 ·
Thanks guys and I'm checking into the craigslist link Magnum. Listing is still posted so I'm attempting to get pics and more info. I'm gonna be buying a compact soon and hoping I can stick with gas vs diesel just for the sake of everything else I already own, I can work on it myself. Envious of your 7020. Happy New Year!

#8 ·
Keep me posted on what you learn and how it looks. I was half way tempted to go buy it myself for that money. Figured I might have to go find a new home for myself, as well, if I did!
:fing20:

#10 ·
You are looking for a back hoe, not just a loader tractor? There is a good deal on a Ingersoll FEL on ebay. Ending Tomorrow with available roto tiller.

#11 ·
Magnum RT, yea, nice tractor. I need the backhoe though. Think I might have stumbled onto the 6018 that was on craiglist in Madison, WI that may be on ebay now.....lol.....as there is one listed from Janesville, WI a short distance away. Item 150319214745. Watching it

#13 ·
Buckone - I've rented Terramites over the years but never owned one. I used it 2 or 3 times in 2008, digging holes for trees, trenching and moving tandem loads of top soil. A hydro drive FEL is certainly the way to go in moving a pile of dirt, it's fast.
The only problems I've seen on them is oil leaks and cracked booms on the back hoe. But remember, these were beat upon rentals.
They have a surprising amount of ripping power on the hoe. The hoe had a convential 6 stick control.

#14 ·
Buckone,
I own a Terramite T5B, the same as a T5C, older model. The machine is GREAT, the previous owner used it to start his excavating business, needless to say it has plenty of welds, but only on the loader attaching point, NO problems with the backhoe whatsoever. The machine is very simple to use, easy to haul and will dig just as much as my 40 hp machine, which weighs twice as much. I bought it off of craigslist for about half of the going rate, and it has paid back twice what I paid for it, I am about to start on a septic job with it, I am only digging the holes for the tanks and trenching for lines, but I will save myself enough to buy a new one!

Quick story, about a week ago I got my one ton dump, with 18 foot trailer loaded with a vehicle stuck in my ice covered driveway, the terramite pulled the whole rig out, with the truck in Neutral, Not helping at all, the terramite didn't grunt, the tires never slipped on the same ice and I began to pull it up a steep incline until the whole rig was off of the ice. I have used the machine hard before, but that show simply sold me on the power of that little machine.

I would be happy to answer any of your questions and if you were closer I would be happy to let you try the machine for yourself,
Dan

#15 ·
I agree that the Terri mite is a fine piece of equipment, but after you try his, or another, Stop by my place and try my Ingersoll out! I gave serious consideration to a terrimite before I bought my Ingy LBH.

#16 ·
Thanks for the input! eddyyy302, appreciate hearing from a terramite owner. I'm pretty much sold on either the terramite or ingersoll to do what I need to do. I'm not on a timeline nor do I require any big machine but needed some assurance these smaller gas machines were worthy without fear of over working them. Hopefully I will post soon whenever I find a nice used one. The info has been a great help!

#18 ·
If you get the one in Janesville and have problems with transportation, I get fairly close to there when visiting family. I could get it to north central Indiana. Actually, New Buffalo, MI, for an acceptable fee, Cost!?

#17 ·
I agree wholeheartedly with Magnum that the Ingersoll 7020 LBH is an awesome machine. Few and far between, though. Someday he'll put his up for sale and I might be a lucky guy.

Used Terramites are much easier to find. Google "Terramite Craigslist" and see some decent looking offerings in Ohio and surrounding areas.

Brian

#19 ·
You folks are great! Appreciate the offer Magnum RT but I have to pass on the one in Janesville as I'm in the process of selling a truck to have the immediate $ on hand in lieu of busting a cd.....wife gets edgy about little things.....lol. Wouldn't you know the fuel pump died on the truck I'm selling and will be a few days before I get it back. Transport is one thing I haven't really checked into knowing much distance is going to cost some bucks. Maybe Uhaul has a reasonable car hauler?

#20 ·
Buckone,
Two ther possibilities to keep in mind are, http://uhaul.com and http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Point_A-Z_Transportation/

uhaul.com puts your freight up for bids, which you can accept or reject. Had an offer to bring my LBH to Michigan from Savannah GA for $500, but the seller would not release it for a full 10days. So it cost me $650, still a very good deal!

Point AtoZ is generally,"help me pay for my return trip."

I fully understand the wife issue, have one that I have to "work around," also!

Now I will have to reconsider if I should buy it or not, and risk a divorce!:fing20:

#21 ·
Magnum RT, I checked Uhaul's car hauler and it isn't too bad although the specs of the trailer are a little vague. No weight problem but it's a ramp type and I'm not sure the width would work not knowing the width between the tires on 6018. Their goofy website is "car specific" and doesn't give measurements. Anyhow, knowing I could probably keep haul costs below 500 is reasonable. Hey, go for the 6018....lol...dunno what his "buy it now" is but I noticed there is no reserve and currently at 3550 with a day to go. If you buy it, I know where I can find one!!....lol

#22 ·
Magnum RT,

Checked out your profile photos and your 7020 is awesome! Looks like you take great pride in your machines!

Wish I had photos of the tractors I've had in the past. I had a 53 golden jubilee for several years and have kicked myself many times after selling it. Also had a JD 400 I purchased used with less than 200 hrs. It was a late 70's model and I used it until last year when the tranny finally gave up and too many small things wrong I decided to sell it. Now I have a JD GT245 which is adequate for mowing. I'm 61 and have more time to dedicate to cleaning up my 7 acres of varying terrain besides the fact of enjoying running a tractor. I have enough planned projects to keep a small hoe and bucket working for a couple years. Also love the challenge of taking something that needs tlc, cleaning it up to look good and work the heck out of it. Sincerely appreciate the input you have given me and hope to hang around here for awhile!

#24 ·
Buckeye,
Guess I lost track of this thread for a while, just stumbled on it again!
Thanks for the complements on my 7020LBH! Greatest toy I have ever owned!

Did you buy the 6018? If so, how did it all work out?

Will be watching for a followup!:bananapow :bananapow :bananapow

#26 ·
Magnum RT, I probably made a mistake by passing on the 6018. Went for $5250. Keeping a patient eye out and will be buying something by springtime. Can't do much in the frozen tundra anyway....lol.

#27 ·
Terramite's: I have owned two machines until just recently.
A T5C and a T7 diesel. I now just have the T7.

Both are great machines. I recently sold the T5C and now have the T7 up for sale as well. Nothing wrong at all. The only reason for this is I want to get a new Terramite T9 4x4.

These machines are very tough and require just routine maintenance, oil, grease, filters etc: and they will serve you well. I have never had a breakdown other than out of fuel or something I caused myself.

Terramites are made in WV and recently the company was sold (Dec.23,2008)to a kansas firm who intends to expand the business.That company already owns United Equipment who makes big backhoes, but they did not have a smaller line of machines so they bought out Terramite.

If anyone wants more information on my T7 , just send me an email. TCusack@knology.net or give me a call 256-508-5159.:thThumbsU

#30 ·
Hi to all, good posting above, enjoyable.
This is the closest I've found to a "T5C" forum- anyone know of any other good owner's discussion sites?
I bought used T5C a month ago, so just learning it and getting maintain up to date- later on a good paint job needed.
In my learning I am very impressed with the power of this gas machine, and learning it's limitations.
Anyone suggest a site to get aftermarket swivel seat?
Best to all, JA

#31 ·
I purchased a 2004 T9 last summer. It has been perfect for cleaning and restoring the few acres around my house. The thing is built like a tank. As a 27year Kubota CUT owner, you don't realize how really flimsy a tractor's sheet metal is until you drop a rock on a Terramite. No dents, just a little mark in the paint, from a rock that would have collapsed the tractors hood.

You get almost instant live help from the Terramite folks with any proplem. They even stayed on the line with me while I worked on a parking brake that the previous owner had installed backwards. Other than filters, haven't purchased a single part for it, and everything works. Working on it is a breeze.

The loader is really powerful for the size. Moved a 1000 gallon propane tank with it this past weekend. Pulling small trees is a one yank process with the backhoe and it easily handles septic lines and other drain lines. I don't have any trouble going up hill with a load, but you do have to understand how to work the hydro pedal. About the only thing negative about the T9 is its slow driving speed. Moving multiple bucket loads to a dump truck is a really slow process if the distance is more than a few yards. I also wouldn't run the T9, or my Kubota for that matter, without ear plugs or a hearing protector.

I was going to sell the Terramite when I finished my cleanup (should be able to get at least what I paid), but now I think I like it too much and will probably dump the tractor instead and get a Zero Turn for mowing. The Terramite handles everything else around the house.

If anyone has any questions about the "big" Terramite, I will be happy to answer.

#32 ·
Hi Buckone. I have an Terramite TC5 and can tell you that they are very strong machines. The TC5 fnt. bucket will pick up about 1800lbs. when most machines won't come close. I have broken the front wheel spindle with a full load of gravel in the bucket and the machine still steers and works on only one front tire and wheel. I finished the job on three wheels with no problem. The only problem I have is the hoe will not turn to a 90 deg. angle but I think that the TC7 may, but one can get used to that. Also my machine is very hard to start but that can be solved with a good tuneup ( I hope). I also have the extra wide tires (all 4 tires foam filled ) in back and that gives me a lot more traction. The only problem is they stick out passed the front bucket's width so you can't hug a wall, bldg, etc. but you can't have everything there is always a trade off somewhere. These are strong hard working machines and I would buy another one if the time ever comes. Look for a tight low hours used machine and you won't go wrong. Good luck.....oneg 123

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.