My Tractor Forum banner

Poor man's power steering 200 series

13K views 68 replies 18 participants last post by  jayvee43 
#1 ·
HI guys, it is just too cold outside today,
so I am spending a little time looking at old archives, and I was looking for the poor man's power steering thrust washers and thrust bearing solution.

I can't find anything for a 200 series tractor. :dunno:

So my question is: Is there a difference in size between the 200 series and the 400 series front axle wheel spindle shafts?

And what would be a good source supplier for them?

:thanku: Jay

#38 ·
I have only installed the flat bearing type but I have a pair of the bronze ones with the graphite plugs in my parts stash and I may try them some time. There are many who have installed the bronze bearings and like them. They may be less sensitive to dirt than the flat thrust bearings.
The problem that I have run into is that the steering arms on some tractors were not welded at an exact 90 degree angle to the spindles. You can check for this when you remove the spindles and look for a high spot on the arm where the stock steel washer sits. If there is an indication of a high spot then it may need to be corrected by hand or on a lathe. I had to work the spindles on my 4018 by hand as my lathe doesn't have a large enough swing to cleanup this area.
If there is a high spot it will only show up on the top of the arm where the stock washer sits on it as it bears the weight of the tractor. The narrower the high spot the more rework needed to square up this area. The ideal situation is a nice full circle mark of wear from the stock washer.
Bob MacGregor in CT

#40 · (Edited)
There is a guy on ebay selling these for 4XX/4XXX tractors and "working on a kit for 2XX/3XXX." Of course, "the kit" is somewhat higher priced than buying the individual parts from McMaster-Carr, but I guess that's to be expected because of the "custom" parts:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ingersoll-C...343?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3372100417

Looks like a pretty nice kit to me, if the added feature of the "cover" is a concern, and worth the extra $$$ to you.

-longman-

follow-up - looks like he sells just "the covers" (cup washers) here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ingersoll-C...LM%2BLA&otn=5&ps=63&clkid=6602566435124648793

#41 ·
There is a guy on ebay selling these for 4XX/4XXX tractors and "working on a kit for 2XX/3XXX." Of course, "the kit" is somewhat higher priced than buying the individual parts from McMaster-Carr, but I guess that's to be expected because of the "custom" parts:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ingersoll-C...343?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3372100417

Looks like a pretty nice kit to me, if the added feature of the "cover" is a concern, and worth the extra $$$ to you.

-longman-
Can you Let me know when he has a package ready for a 200 series, I don't go on flee-bay anymore. There is just "buy now" offerings, no more old school bidding startings at a few dollars anymore. it is extremelly commercial now, just like going to a store, and on top of that, you have to deal with the shipping.
I'd rather buy locally and pay taxes.
:thanku:
Jay.

#46 ·
The bronze and the plugged type are ok I guess, But if your going to go through all the trouble why would you not want an actual bearing. A bushing is never going to offer nearly the decrease in resistance as a needle or roller bearing. I have the thrust bearing and hardened washers installed on my 3018 and could not be happier. If I could find the dust cover I will buy them, but I think keeping them greased will also do the trick. Just my 0.02. Also I have a set at my house getting ready to be shipped to a member in Canada. :howdy:

#47 ·
I agree, the needle bearings seem to be the best choice to me for this application and I'm not really concerned about the dust covers yet either. If I find some that are suitable, I'll put them on but until then I think a shot of grease every so often will be good enough .... Time will tell ....

:thThumbsU

#52 ·
I also look forward to some easy steering.
wseternmd was kind enough to act as my broker for these bits which I can't seem to source in Canada.
I am going to try and find a dust/debris shield. I think I may use some axle seals. When I get the bearings I will be able to pick a size.

#53 ·
richoman, sorry for the delay I forgot to put a specal label on the package something for customs or something. Any way I finally got them going in the right direction. It was my first time shipping outside of the U.S. They should be in your hands by friday I shipped em monday morning, hope you like em as much as I do. :howdy:

#57 ·
yea i love the light its pretty heavy duty and it came with all stainless steel hardware. i found i place that is cheaper than mobile hid, that's were i got mine. hear is the link www.quantilutions.com, when ever i have the spare money i think i will upgrade to a hid light tho much more brighter than a 55w halogen light and only take like 35w. www.quantilutions.com/catalog/category/58/ i build caterpillar motor grader cabs for a living and some get hid lights on them and when i seen how much brighter they are than led and hid i was amazed but that will be your choice.:fing32:

#58 ·
I have been reading all of these posts and see where you guys in Canada can not get McMaster to ship to you. But have you tried MSC? They show to ship internationally.
They show these bearing and washer. Or they look the same to me from the book.
mscdirect.com
I should have thought of this sooner.
If one of you guys that have already purchased yours, could look at these in MSC and let us know if you think they are the same ones.I would appreciate it.
I would like to try them on 2 Cases and a Murray.And they would probably even help on the casters of my old Dixon.
Thanks,
Terry T

#59 ·
I looked them up on msc the part no I found was 03380920 it does look similar but not exactly. They are a different manufacturer. And I'm sure it would work just fine they about the same price. I could not find the thin washers but they are on there I'm sure. Hope this helps:howdy:.

#61 ·
When I went to the msc web site I saw the washers you are referring to. It looked like to me they were to thick. I don't have the invoice in front of me but I believe the washers I ordered were 0.032 thick. They could of been much thicker though I had enough room to put another set of them on with out any trouble. Good luck let us know how it turns out.:thThumbsU

#63 ·
I ordered these (Thurseday the 8th )though where I work since we order from MSC several times a week usually.
And they were on my desk when I came in this morning,(Monday the 12th)So they came in Friday afternoon.MSC is almost always quick(and so is McMaster-Carr).
And they are the .032 think washers. The brand is INA. I'm not sure if it is the bearings and washers or the stickers on them but something was made in USA.I hope they were refering to the parts.
Terry T

#64 ·
Been following this thread, it came up in a search I made, much like the original poster, to find the thread that shows someone, possibly a member here, performing some pretty intense front end modifications. lots of machining and refitting of steering/suspension parts. At some point the gentleman installed a torque multiplier or some such from an Auto racing application. Basically a box that had to be cut into the steering shaft that reduced the steering effort by half through gear reduction. Does anybody remember that thread? I'm searched out trying to find it......:banghead3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.