My Tractor Forum banner

Well had to do it!

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  slkpk 
#1 ·
Just ordered the agrifab disk cultivator from Home Depot. First new relatively large attachment I've bought in about 10 years! Kept looking for them locally and will need it to get the garden set up after plowing and could not find one! Will get some pictures when I get it.

#8 ·
make sure you have plenty of concrete blocks on stand by for weight and a bunch of bungie cords......lol You will need the weight. And I hope that you dont have to lift that thing with a manual sleeve hitch.

#9 ·
Robert, well didn't have "alot" of block but put what I had on there. Here's some pics of what it looked like. Also this was the first time I've turned this ground in about 10 years and first thing I did was high center the 322 and had to get the truck to pull it back out. Going down the rows wasn't possible so guess what way I went? Didn't seem to bother the 322 too much but my back took a beating!

Attachments

#10 ·
OK, my impressions of the Agrifab disk cultivator are that I think when I get some more and I mean double what I had on the disks then they will bite and really make a difference. They were working but I was expecting them to really break down the clod of dirt and grass and they didn't. Only took about 30 minutes to build the cultivator and parts seeem to be well built. I will be replowing this area tomorrow and then hitting it again with the cultivator to see what it'll do.

#13 ·
On the re-plow, will you throw the other way? Or, plow across?
Maybe you should have kept the 318, then you could have build a small platform, and driven it up on the disk?

#14 ·
Looks like furrows are not deep,or close enough?Course,it's a pic.I would put a bottom plow to it all over,sideways,crossways,etc.The disk will only do what loose,not new ground.Plus,the flipped over sod really needs to dry out some prior to cutting it w/disk.Just fill the tank & ride your heart out.:trink40:

#15 · (Edited)
Well I did cross-rows today and I'm going to let them dry through tomorrow. Had to take the coulter off to cut the cross rows it was building up sod and keeping the plowshare from biting! I'm thinking I'll have to get a few more holes drilled in the crossframe as the plow doesn't seem to move to the right far enough. This leaves some unplowed soil between each of the rows!

Attachments

#16 ·
PAGuy...............message sent on your plow adjustments

#17 ·
Well I angled the disks as far as they would go and tested it, seemed to a better job cutting the big clods of dirt and the sod. Going to let it dry a bit more and try it again tomorrow! Thanks for the tip on changing the angle of the plow Robert. I'll give it a try!

#18 ·
I have almost the same brinly disc, only the discs aren't notched. I have put lots of weight on them, put the discs in different directions. I've haven't gotten them to work all that well. I just bought a JD 30" mechanical tiller for my 235GT, and it does a great job. I was lucky the JD dealer had one on consignment that had never been used, at half the price of new.Works best when I single bottom plow with my CaseIngersoll 446, and till it with my JohnDeere 235gt. I'm hoping to use the disc more for hilling up potatoes, and cultivating. My disc is very worn(many of the bushing for the discs are worn through) and that may be why it hasn't worked that well, even with 2-60Lb suitcase weights strapped on. Make sure you keep everything lubed up so yours doesn't suffer the same fate as mine, that dirt gets in there really quick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.