Herniated Disc - Page 4 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Health and Fitness Keeping in shape

Old 10-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #46
RDR
2000 Posts and climbing!!!

MTF Member # 4731
Default Re: Herniated Disc

I feel good tonight. My lower back muscles are telling me I over did things the last couple of days. I feel good because I didn't irritate any of my other problems. It might be harder than usual to get out of bed in the morning. I won't take anything for the pain because it is there to remind me not to over do things again. I won't sit around because then I will stiffen up and feel worse.
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #47
mikeandpebble1
MTF Member

MTF Member # 56986

still fighting the pain had to go for an IME a while back for workers comp their doctor of course the first thing he said was there was nothing wrong with me that it was all in my head and he also said i had a low pain tollerance so when workers comp requested a hearing to terminate my benifits the doctor that i usually go to gave his opinion they had comps doctors report thrown out said he didn't know what he was talking about so my lawyer helped me file my disablity paperwork and they told me there was no job that i ever done before that i was capable of doing due to the shape i was in i still try to do some of the things that i used to do i just have to take it real easy and i can only doit a little while at a time if i over due it im down for 2 or 3 days it get real hard because i was used to working all the time have worked all my life since i was 16 years old i'm 55 now it is hard to slow down that much we had a farm all the time farm work is not easy work easier now then when i was a kid at home so i just keep going try not to take meds unless i have to.
mikeandpebble1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #48
RDR

MTF Member # 4731

Tomorrow is my 6 month check up at the neurologist. I'm happy that I haven't had to call her between check ups. I'll try to remember to tell her that I did too much and had my left arm and leg tingling back in June. I think I mentioned this earlier. I took it easy for a couple of days and made 20 quarts of spaghetti sauce.

I'm getting better at knowing what I can do and not. When I've pulled plant in the garden, I like to turn the dirt and chop it with a shovel and plant something else. I've found that is a "not." I had a tractor I liked but about did myself in because of the steering. I sold it a couple of days ago. I'm keeping an eye out for another one with power steering.

If I sit around too much I hurt worse than getting up and doing things. Then I don't just sit there and think about it. Sitting around also helps my pants get tighter. I hate fat. I park way out in the parking lot, not to take the closer parking spots for the fat people. Ever notice the people that park close are the ones that need to walk. I was suprised today at Wal Mart to see two people on electic scooters that were thin and needed them. Oops, got on one of my pet peeves and off subject.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:24 AM   #49
s10lowrider1994

MTF Member # 45450

I've got a herniated disc as well and it sucks, I know now annoying it is. Something that looks and sounds wacky that you may want to consider trying is an inversion table. I bought one just to see if it would ease any of the pain and maybe help with movement. I've gotta say it surprised me, it actually helps a lot. Once you get used to being upside down, the exercises and stretches you can do are endless and have a huge effect on pain and movement. I got mine for $25 on Craigslist, a decent new one will run you around $150. Of course its not a guaranteed fix all treatment but I have had great success with mine. Just close the blinds or the neighbors might think you're strange.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #50
mikeandpebble1
MTF Member

MTF Member # 56986

I don't go back for my 6 month until the middle of January i quit taking the meds he gave me for the pain took them for about 2 weeks back in September because i overdid it and made me feel a little strange figured i didn't need that feeling besides all i want to do when taking them is sleep. i am figureing out how much i can do before i over do it and try to stay under that but it is hard because it doesn't always hurt to bad until i stop doing something then its to late . its hard to have to pay someone to do things that you used to be able to do yourself besides don't always have the money to pay for it . i need to tear my old garage down and build a new one before it falls down just don't know how to work that out. i guess something will work out we will see.
mikeandpebble1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #51
Boyd
5000 Strong & Climbing

MTF Member # 19439

It would be nice to spend a month in the space station. One man that was about 6'5" was up there for extended period of time. His back problems greatly decreased after his trip. The zero gravity made him 2" taller while he was up there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHVFE02NTgU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zdO4JuKEiw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJMEDJVDro0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy0B7M03U-E http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r59AWfhwpPg
Pictured:79 Mustang Pace car 5.0 4sp that I sold in 1990. Toro 520xi 60" side, 42" rear discharge decks & Berco 40" blower, (2) Toro 266-H, Toro 117 Groundsmaster, Toro 724z making into pull type. WTB Toro 5xi front wheels & 2 Toro/WH 42" rear discharge decks.
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #52
RDR

MTF Member # 4731

It has been a long week and haven't been in here much. One thing I learned is I am done using a gas chainsaw unless someone else starts it. Jerking on the pull start got my legs tingling again below my knees.

My Dr. supprised me. I told her about overdoing things back in June and getting my left arm and leg tingling, other times about my legs below the knees. I mentioned that taking it easy things got back to my "now" normal. I didn't tell her about the chainsaw. I mentioned that I have been doing well and learning what I can do and not. I had a feeling the chainsaw would be too much and was right. I will be more careful now. She said she didn't want to see me again unless I was having sharp pain in my leg or arm. I guess she doesn't need the business to keep seeing me every six months. That is all right by me.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #53
RDR

MTF Member # 4731

I know where I can try an inversion table before buying one. I won't have to close the blinds. My nearest neighbor is .4 miles away.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #54
RDR

MTF Member # 4731

It is still too easy to forget and do too much. I still work every day. Today I hung 3, 70# weights on the front of a tractor. I shouldn't have but seem to be all right tonight. The main thing I have learned not to do is pull large weeds. Sure takes some of the fun out of life. I always loved to pull weeds.
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #55
Tractor-Holic
10,000 +posts!

MTF Member # 8867

My back hurts constantly...but its muscles rather than discs I think in my case,curvature causes everything to get stretched out on one side and crushed on the other,and its the crushed side where I get the worst pains..my kidneys and lung on that side suffer as well..scoliosis can affect your vision and hearing on one side too..my right eye has been adversly affected by it,along with some nerve damage from lead in paint getting into it long ago..

My ribs ache,and between the shoulder blades is especially painfull,the right one feels like a knife is stuck in it all the time,and doing certain movements twists the blade!..
Sitting around is as or more painful as heavy extertion too..I tend to get angry and over-do things when I get frustrated,that helps me none too..

Sometimes I get sciatica in my right leg that is very disabling,I cant stand when it kicks in ,sitting is not much better,and I cant even lie down without being in agony,one of my fears is having the right leg go numb or lose control of my foot while driving...so far it has not happened,but I'm sure someday it might,since car seats often induce an attack of it..but the leg doesn't act up until I get out of the vehicle and walk some.(so far)..

Thankfully its been awhile since I had that sciatica feeling in my leg,lately its just they now both feel weak from not getting enough use..having been housebound quite a bit the past several years and not having a "work" daily routine,I get into a bad cycle of relative inactivity,then go out and do chores like mow the 3 acre yard,cut wood with the chainsaw,or lift heavy things,and soon find myself back in bed or in a chair for a week,cursing myself for not being able to do these things like before...

The pills I've been using do little or nothing to decrease the pain,and just make me want to do nothing ,which in my opinion is not "improvement"...
I have not gotten to the point I would use pills like percocet or other narcotics due to their side effects..my stomach is very sensitive to piainkillers and if I take them I'm not only dopey,I cant digest food right or "get rid" of it,its like they shut my colon down completely...so those are out!..

The fact I CAN do this kind of work, but not for long enough,is why I've been denied disability and also cant seem to find any employer willing to deal with my limitations..

If I were in a wheelchair or had some disease like Down's Syndrone,they would hire me regardless..in fact it would be considered discrimination if they didnt!....but anyone with a bad back or other "intermittent" health issues and no "disability" paperwork approved by some ssi doctor ,gets regarded as lazy, or a faker,who'd rather avoid working, rather than having a "legit" physical limitation..its quite aggravating and embarassing not to be able to do normal things consistently enough to be considered worthy of empoyment..yet also "well" enough to be disqualified for any disabilty benifits..its a bad position to be stuck in...and I'm having a hard time getting out of it..

Last edited by Tractor-Holic; 08-15-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Tractor-Holic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.