My Tractor Forum banner

Learned $100 lesson yesterday.

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  ehatcher 
#1 ·
Well last week I broke my steering post in my 650. Ordered it. Took just about everything apart. Got the part yesterday and decided to try to put it in the old steering box. Was having troubles getting the broken shaft out of the box. I figured I had to take the pitman arm off and slide that shaft some to free everything. That is where my lesson started. It isn't like a car. Pickle fork broke the tabs off the inside shaft that is used to hold the **** thing in place. Actually it attaches to an adjustment but to adjust out the play in the steering. So I pulled the entire box off the tractor. Used a puller instead of the fork and got the arm off. At that time I saw all I had to do was turn the wheels by hand and the **** flat gear that was attached to the broken shaft would have came rite up and out the box. Well. Sometimes you win sometimes you loose. I tell you what. It won't happen again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.