My Tractor Forum banner

Flywheel removal on Briggs horizontal engine

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  RideoutKSC 
#1 ·
I'm trying to remove the flywheel on my briggs engine in my snowblower. I removed the engine cover so far. A guy down the street told me to grab around the recoil starter with some water pump pliers and just unscrew it.

Well, I've tried that. I almost broke my hand doing it. Anybody have some tricks to doing this? I need to replace my points so I can start blowing snow!

#3 ·
With my Briggs horizontal engine, I had to wedge a piece of iron (like a chisel) between a flywheel fin and the concrete beneath it, then I took a piece of wood, placed it on one of the little "ears" (thats on the starter area that holds the flywheel screen on) and struck that with a hammer to get it off. It had right handed threads on mine so it should on yours.

#4 ·
You remove the spark plug, rotate the flywheel so the piston is "down", then stick a bunch of rope in the spark plug hole. This will jam the piston before it can reach top dead center and thus will not be able to rotate.

If it doesn't jam the piston just remove the rope and try sticking it in again. Can be a little tricky to get it into the cylinder but it's still pretty straightforward.

#6 ·
Model, type and code numbers would take the guess work out of my reply.

If the engine is a Briggs and Stratton Two-Cycle Snow Engine here is what the service manual says:

1. Remove flywheel nut and starter cup.

2. Reinstall nut flush with the end of the crankshaft.

3. Remove the flywheel by pulling up on the edge of flywheel while striking the flywheel nut with a soft mallet.

#10 ·
I trust you have verified that the engine still has points before you go through the trouble of removing the flywheel. If the code # starts with 85 or higher, it should have electronic ignition. Also, do not hit the end of the crankshaft extension with a steel hammer, you'll mushroom the end of it.

#12 ·
I got the flywheel off! Actually, I came home from class and my dad was in the process of taking it off. He used a giant monkey wrench and it came off very easily. As it turns out the ground wire was knicked and it was grounding out, which was preventing spark. I taped it off and put everything back together and the thing started up on the first pull.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.