My Tractor Forum banner

Legacy XL with 50" landpride rtr15 tiller pics`

10K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  MarcusInMD 
#1 ·
Well i should have gotten the 58" wide model, i burried this thing in packed dirt ive driven over with the trucks and tractors for the last year and the diesel 27hp legacy xl doesnt even struggle. I had to kind of try to move fast forward before it started to bog with all the dirt it was "pulling" underneath of it.

It would run a 58" model "powerwise" no problem.

I have the lift links set to the low lift setting, it doesnt lift up very high off the ground at all, maybe 2-3" tops. I cant set them to the higher setting because the pto shaft has such a bad angle, you really cant even run it while lifted because its so darn close to the pto on the tractor. The dealer had it hooked up "minus the shaft" to a deere 2305 tractor and it looked "lift wise" like it would be able to more easily handle the lift height and angles etc. I think this again comes back to the fact that the simpliicty is a cat 0 not a real cat 1 limited, so in turn you are always "limited" to anything you hookup thats not made for it from simplicity.

Aside from that, its a beast. I could eat up an acre of property in no time and have it ready for new seed and fertilizer in an hour and a half. I still have the 7hp simplicity walk behind tiller thats forward rotation... this thing ate up that garden area in about 90 seconds total. It has the optional slip clutch and manual side shift capabilities, which im going to adjust it over one more notch so that its square on the back of the legacy.

no action shots, was trying to unload and finish fast before the woman realizes i got a new toy... i think she must assume i did this with the walk behind 14" wide tiller lol. I just broke the news to her about the new 32' 18k equipment trailer im getting for the john deere in the background on our way home from Florida the first week of August this year so it would be too much for her in the same week :p

anybody that wants the full size image for whatever reason just email me, chreha@hotmail.com

Here are some pictures.

See less See more
#2 ·
That looks really nice. How much lift are you getting? With the HF quick hitch attached I am about to get about 1ft off the ground now with proper top link adjustment on my CR45.

Check this thread for my photos when I first got the tiller.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=56933&highlight=tiller

Based on how these tillers run I am sure the legacy (and the Legacy XL) could handle a much larger tiller, however I think that weight would quickly become an issue for lifting. On my rig I have got that tiller out pretty far with the quick hitch installed and I have to counter it with my JB Sr. or I have no steering. :) But using the quick hitch and the furthest lift pin slot I was easily able to use a slip clutch and still have plenty of PTO shaft left over.

They sure do make quick work of a job - much better looking soil than a push type tiller. I am hoping to till a 1 acre food plot in the next several days with ours.

#9 ·
ok im ordering that HF 3pt quick hitch, it should help get it away from my rear of the tractor a few inches so its not so darn close. Its a bad angle where the pto shaft goes into the clutch even fully raised up it really shouldnt be running then.

Mine only comes a few inches off the ground, id be thrilled with a foot, this should give the top link a few extra inches of lift angle too.

#10 ·
you got that right, or when its not so spankin new looking it must have costed less too!

#6 ·
Very nice! Even though you probably could have gone bigger, you're probably better off with this unit -- more so from a weight/mass standpoint than power. :)

#7 ·
Good heavens ramair, is the Legacy capable of driving that lot without being worn into an early grave? Thats bloody impressive. Ive read that the garden tractor, even the Legacy and JD X740 isnt built to cope with the strain. Whats you views on such claims.

DDN

#8 ·
Pretty sweet. Remember that the ground you are tilling will factor greatly. Going over previously tilled land is a far easier than breaking new ground.

#12 ·
sure... that ground there though that was "like cream pie easy" was never tilled, had tractors/cars/trucks driven over it several times and cars parked there for the last year.. it was by far, far from easy soil, yet our soil has a bit of sand in it so im sure it will struggle a little when getting into anything clay like just north of here... if that happens, sand/lime/top soil would be mixed in garden bed landscaped areas anyway to help it out.

#11 ·
yeah, exncite, im gonna get that quick hitch... been too long without it and a royal pita to change attachments now.

#14 ·
Thanks Ram, interesting to read your experience with large hp machine and the fuel consumption.

By EFI do you mean EFI diesel or petrol?

DDN

#15 ·
not sure, but the diesels are efi... the diesel mowers i want have to be efi from now on as well. its still uncommon to find "efi gas" engines, just not many out there besides from kawasaki, and kohler but most arnt used on equipment because of price and adding the fuel pump etc to the system.

#16 ·
I have got to say that looks as good as it probably works. I do have one question though, How short did you have to cut the driveshaft? I am waiting for my new King Kutter 48 in with the chain drive side box instead of the gear drive to save the 100 pounds of weight because the distance is so minimal that I figured that I may need to replace the lower lift arms with longer arms. The reasinonig was that the manufacturer states in the manual not to run unit with less tan 6 inches of shaft overlap. Any help would be great.
Thanks Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.