My Tractor Forum banner

Cub Cadet Kohler vs, Kawasaki

52K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  fergus 
#1 ·
I have between ½ to ¾ an acre to mow, slightly hilly. I might want to get a snow blower eventualy. I am loooking for a quick comfortable ride low maintenance, and durability. I will not spend more than $2,000.00. I am leaning toward Cub Cadet. These two are my favorite. Which engin will last longer and have the power to throw snow? John Deer fans feel free to add your 2 cents.
LTX 1046 M 46" Cutting Deck 22 HP Kohler Courage V-Twin Engine
Sale Price $1,799.00
LTX 1046 KW 46" Cutting Deck 20 HP Kawasaki V-Twin Engine
Sale Price $1,899.00

#7 ·
Kawasaki's are a good engine, the internal fit and finish is a little better, and if taken care of will last a LONG time. However, they are EXTREMELY sensitive to being kept clean. If you let it get dirty, even for a little while, it will burn up the top crank seal like that and blow oil everywhere. Also, Kawasaki's are not re-buildable; when they go, thats it, new engine. Reason being there are no replaceable bearings for the crank mains, they are made into the block. When they go, thats it. Kohlers are still a well made engine, they are more complicated than a Kawasaki, true. BUT, they are not as sensitive to being kept clean and are completely re-buildable. For my money, I would go with a Kohler.

Joe

#9 ·
OK, since you said you'd entertain JD I'll vote John Deere D130 (42" deck) or D140 (48" deck). $1,899/$1,999 respectively. Both 22hp, big tires, big seats.

I've been inside all three of these engines, and have no doubt that the custom-spec B&S in the D's is as good or better than either the Kawasaki or Kohler Courage. Kawaski's are great, but not very forgiving of debris or dirty oil (as has been said). The Courage's are cost-reduced Commands, and all the cool features they had (like hydraulic lifters) aren't there. The hardened/polished cranks in the Briggs seem to make them quite tough.

Just like today's Briggs isn't like your granddad's (much better)....neither are the new Kawasaki's or Kohler's (not quite as good).

I know a lot of Lowe's and Home Depots are having ride and drive events on Saturdays now, so go try them all out and see what you like.

#12 ·
What motor is forgiving of dirt and debris inside the engine? There is a reason the cheaper mowers have briggs and the higher end have a kawasaki.

the D100 has a briggs for like 1700 bucks, while the x720 has a Liquid cooled kawasaki for about 10,000 bucks.

So i dont see where you find that the Briggs is as good or better than a kawasaki.

#11 ·
I just picked up the LTX1050KW for $1,899 from my local dealer. I also do about 1/2 to 3/4 of an acre that has a few hills. I did months of research to decide myself. I test drove Deere, Husqvarna, Craftsman, and Cub Cadet to start. I looked at the weight, wheels, frame, engine, deck, etc. and everything lead me right to the CC LTX1050KW. I'd have went with a 42" or 46" deck but hard to pass up the 50" given the small price difference for all the extra stuff. The 2012's have a few more HP this year and they jacked the cost up on them because of that. Your best bet is to find a new 2011 at a dealer like I did. Everything is the same except the engine and price. In the LTX1050KW's case the 2011 was 22HP and the 2012 is 23 HP. The price was $1,999 on the 2011 and $2,199 on the 2012. The dealer offered me a $100 off since it's last years model hence $1,899. Everything else is identical.

#14 ·
Yes kawasakki make great engines, I have had a boat engine from them and an engine on a small aircraft!

But lets be honest do briggs and stratton engines last for so long if you look after them, but I am not to sure about the newer ones.

Is there a diesel option??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.