My Tractor Forum banner

diesel pullers

12K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Bigkrank 
#1 ·
I was on Youtube and I have seen some of these garden tractors with the diesels engines... I'm curious to what kind of money they have into one of those...:trink40:

#2 ·
Tons! A fella I used to build mud trucks with built one with a 4BT Cummins turbo diesel in one. Used a narrowed 9 inch Ford rear axle and not sure on what was used between the engine to rear end. It made about 600-800 hp I think. He had most of the money wrapped up in the engine. I have to look and see if I still have the pics of it. Looked just like the big pullers only smaller. This thing had a filled block, fire ringed head, twin hairdryers, and one heck of an injection pump setup. I saw this thing pull once and it blew my mind! It was one wicked lil machine. I told him we should put a v-plow on the front and see how far it would wing snow!

#3 ·
Well TOnka, I got a 782 cub that im throwin a D950 kubota in, and havent done much to it and Im already almost to $1000 and aint heard the motor run.....THe trans is prolly cost me another $1000 to build some what right.....im lookin at prolly $5000 to make it run and run reliable and it still wont be a power house.....it will be a "stock" engine pretty much just turbo'd...

#4 ·
That is awesome! I would love to build a diesel puller like that... I need to pull my Roper 1st! I get dreamy with this stuff! Would it be logical to mate a diesel engine with the Cub style shaft drive to make a coal smoke puller!!!??? Hey J, do you have any pics?

#6 ·
If u plan on making crazy power, u need a cub.....Im not making a coal roller..I cant afford to build the pump...so Im going for a nice clean running engine..Coal black smoke is wasted fuel, which relates to heat...YES the big pullin guys use some of that extra fuel to help cool the pistons, but I cant put that much out....I got a realllly small turbo, and at like 4000rpms, im hopin it will spool to about 8 or 10psi!!! that should give that thing a nice swift kick...then in a few years, build bigger!

#7 ·
I'm not wanting to roll coal right away but want it louder than H#^^! I was looking at the Yanmar and they are going for about $1,000. Not sure if they have the turbo or what will be needed for the drivetrain??? Do you have any pics of your build set-up now Jon?

#8 ·
No, i dont have pics..Im horrible at getting pics....Ive got a D950 kubota, they go for around $500 or a little more depending on the time of year...Yanmar is what all the big pullers want now so thats why they cost so much...Most of the small diesels ive seen arent turbo'd, but some of them came with a factory turbo option....

#9 ·
As for drivetrain mods, in a cub, throw the stock axles carrier, gears, bearing holders, uhm clutch, ring gear, basically everything....Thats what gonna get me...its gonna take $1000 or more easily to build a cheap trans for my diesel if i do it myself.....diesels have CRAZY torque and not much HP, and torque is what breaks stuff...

#11 ·
I was wondering, what cub had the best trans to be modified for pulling. I have a 1650 I want to cut up for a diesel i have tucked away and wasnt sure what manuel to go with, any recomendations?

#17 ·
Bigkrank, what kinda hp and tq does that tractor make? And whats the turbo off of?

#20 ·
Bigkrank, what are you doing to the Kubota pumps? Im sure your having them worked over, but other then turning up the screw is their anything i can do in stock form to help it? Im adding a turbo to mine, ive got a Td05 mitsubishi turbo, i think its a little big for my D950....im gonna look for a td02...Anything in the head area I should look for to change?You guys still offer steel flywheels for the Kubotas?

#23 ·
Very expensive to rework a cambox style pump anymore. Find a Bosch A pump and make an adapter and put it on.

Rework your governor, I know on a 950 it's way different than a 1105. You can turn your barrels but that will upset the balance. Don't mess with 950's so can't give you anymore info. There was a guy in Wisconsin(I think) that got quite a bit out of one.

Sold 4 1105 and 902 flywheels this week. Don't have a 950 design.

#21 ·
man, that's some serious power! Is that with about 50-70 cubic inches?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.