My Tractor Forum banner

Kemp Chipper Shredder

23K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  bannerd 
#1 ·
Anyone know where I can get a chipper blade for a Kemp Chipper Shredder model K4CH? Kemp was made locally but went out of business a while ago. I've searched and I can't find anything. I'm hoping someone on the forum here can help me out. Thanks. :trink39:

#2 ·
You can try searching Ebay, but parts for these don't pop up regularly. Any machine shop can make you a blade if you have the old part or a drawing of what you need.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply bontai Joe. I have 2/3's of the old blade. I'm going to take it to work and measure it up then make a model and drawing of it in Pro/E. I have a guy in Maryland that made some tractor parts for me for my old 4211 that I can send the drawing to and see if he can make some blades for me. I'm just not sure what grade of steel I would want to make it from. I don't want anything too soft that would dull right away, but on the other hand I don't want anything too hard that would be brittle and shatter. Any suggestions on the material? 1018, 12L14??? Thanks for your help. :trink39:

#4 ·
Kemp is unfortunately out of business but the following company has sort of absorbed their business/inventory:

Green Acres Lawn & Garden
171 Green Acre Rd.
Lititz PA 17543
717-626-0547

Keep us posted on your findings! Thanks.

#7 ·
Unfortunately Green Acres Lawn & Garden is out of business also. I called the number this afternoon and the lady who answered the phone said "Good afternoon Bombergers Lawn and Garden." I said I must have dialed the wrong number. She asked me if I wanted Green Acres L&G, and I said yes. She told me that GA L&G went out of business 2 or 3 years ago. Bombergers had GA L&G do the repair and service work on their line of Scag mowers that Bombergers sold. So when GA L&G went out of business Bombergers got their phone number. She said she would like to get rid of that phone number, but for some reason she can't. She said I would probably have to get a chipper blade made somewhere if I wanted one. She didn't know of any other source of parts for the Kemp chipper shredders. Thanks guy's for your help. :trink39:

#5 ·
My guess as to alloy choice would be 1144 that can be heat treated (hardened) after machining to a 55RC rating.

#8 ·
There must be a story behind that one. Can't get rid of a phone number? I can see latching on to an 800 (Eight Zero Zero is valuable) number but they didn't get that. Must be a grandfathered in contract or some such.

Not exactly a mom and pop operation.

nor_easter on Garden Web apparently has a Kemp and states that parts are still available. You might go over there and PM him about your need. Scroll down on the link to see his post from '06.

:goodl:
Ted

#9 ·
I got on Garden Web on Sat and sent an email to nor_easter. So far I haven't heard anything from him. I also found another post over there about parts for the Kemp and posted a reply to that one. No reply back on that one either. Oh well, back to the drawing board! :trink39:

#13 ·
Thanks for the info Ted. I made a drawing of my chipper blade that I'm going to fax to them for a quote. My blade is only 3.5 x 1.25 x .25 with 2 countersunk holes. I got a quote from a company in Tennessee that wants $65/per blade made from A8 tool steel, with a 6 to 8 week delivery time. I'll see what Zenith can do for me. Thanks again. :trink39:

#15 · (Edited)
Cadman56--I have a kemp chipper I just picked up last Saturday--and printed the manual out, that you had made a 'sticky' here--

did you ever find any parts for yours? Specifically looking for the belt (s)..

Got a couple more questions and observations--I'll take a couple piuctures today and post....

Thanks--
glenn

#16 ·
glenn,
I haven't found any parts for mine. The only thing I needed was a chipper blade, but my father-in-law made one from an old file. I made a drawing of the blade if you need one. I would suggest getting one made at a local machine shop. I emailed a couple of guys on the gardenweb about parts for the Kemp chipper but neither got back to me. Post the questions and pics and I'll try to help. :trink39:

#17 ·
The belt should be available at you local "real" auto parts store. If the old one is unavailable take a measurement to them and they will give you a few belts to try. Return the ones that aren't right for refund. The bearings and shafts can be had from MSC's Big Book. The blade from Zenith or a local welding shop as stated above.
Regards,
Kongbikez

#18 ·
I don't need a blade but the clutch on the kolher engine. It just fell apart! Anyone know when I can get one? I may just sell the whole machine if its too much or can't find the part. BTW, it has 2 belts and double pulleys. Thanks for any help.

#20 ·
The centrifical clutch can be bought from northern tool. It's the same clutch that go-carts/minibikes use. I noticed this when I took the belt guard of the one I just picked up.
Most liekly the sheev can be swapped from the old to the new. Mine is a single belt unit. (4hp)
MU

#21 ·
hi everyone i am new to this board and a new owner of a almost new kemp k6ch it really looks like it has never been used bought it in a pawn shop for 150. runs good and works great i have two questions on, the blades on it look like they can be trade with a pair of lawn mower blades has anyone tried that two when i used it last night i noticed everything was coming out the bottom of the machine is there a different way to collect the goodies coming out of the machine thanks for any info you have and by the way this is a electric start machine
lenny

#22 ·
Hi Lenny
Just cam in from the garage - Didn't put Stabil in the Fuel from like 2 or 3 years ago - My Bad, I had to remove the Carb and Tank and completely clean and rebuild the Fuel system, then I found the Mice in the shed ate my V belt.
I have the same Kemp K6ch w/ 5hp Briggs,
Yes, the stuff comes out the bottom. you have to either pull it out from underneath or move the machine as you go. If i have allot to chip, i bring a steel rake.
Be careful as these machines are Top Heavy and moving them over Chipped stuff, it's a bit tipsy.
I'm looking for Parts - V Belt and I do not have the Manual.
I have B63 on my old Belt and that comes up on the Granger site as 6"x21/32 (66"x5/8"). And I am missing a few "hammer" fingers from the Hammer Mill side of the Machine too. Anyone out there have a Line on Kemp Parts ?

Thanks
Timmy

#24 · (Edited)
I can make blades if you guys need them. I don't have the schematics of the other models, I've been making blades for my KEMP K6CH. The steel comes from Jeffords or tsc impact resistant which is case harden but it's still over from china.

If you have an old blade mail it to me and I will get it fixed. I have a K6CH blade from kemp that I've been using.. hard coming by the other model blades which are different bolt patterns.

Also I believe the bolt sizes are different so if you want to mail me those that would be great. There is a guy that sells american bolts and are very high quality. I'll get some pictures up sometime today or tomorrow of the kits I typically sell.

#25 ·
I was running my 4hp unit Monday and tuesday. Still on the knife we made 3 years ago for it. U should definitely get it heat treat hardened.
These are decent machines and can take and unbeleivable amount of abuse!
Mine keep chipping and shreadding! I've got many broke shreadder mill hammers, still works fine.
Going to run it till it dies. Paid $25 bucks for the thing as the knife was broken (right at one of the bolts).

MU

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.