My Tractor Forum banner

60's Vintage Lawn Boy Grasscatcher/Bagger

8K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Lawnboy77 
#1 ·
We just acquired a bagger/grascatcher chute for our 1965 7254 Lawn Boy mower. In the likely circumstance that we will not be able to obtain the correct vintage bag, frame, rod etc. to complete the setup, we are hoping for some insight. We welcome any images, part numbers and later model retofit information avaialble for solutions to get a grasscatcher/bagger on this mower.
Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
If you want to try and make a rod here are a couple of pics, if you want I can measure and post the length and all particulars. The bags are going to be hard to find, but aftermarket replacements are readily available. I recently got one from Cleveland Canvas off ebay, below is the link. I am thinking about painting the bag with the appropriate blue and silver stenciling, just haven't had a chance to yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bag-Designe...302?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4399777b96

#6 ·
If you want to try and make a rod here are a couple of pics, if you want I can measure and post the length and all particulars. The bags are going to be hard to find, but aftermarket replacements are readily available. I recently got one from Cleveland Canvas off ebay, below is the link. I am thinking about painting the bag with the appropriate blue and silver stenciling, just haven't had a chance to yet.
Thanks for the images. Nice mower, 66, 67?

I have a torch and a welder and feel very comfortable fabricating. I did just acquire a wheel guard from ebay, a newer version, that I will likely have to modify. I have contacted the ebay seller you recommended for the bag. Whatever details, images, dimensions offered would be appreciated. What is the rod diameter, 3/8"? Images of the mower end of the rod, wheel guard and wheel guard retainer would be extremely helpful.

#5 ·
Yeah I have noticed that there were a few different colored bags back in the 60's, in this ebay link it even shows a tan colored bag with blue and silver LAWN-BOY letters, the other one for the automower in 1966 is just white with a blue block out-lining white letters. If you notice to that the rods pictured are made of square steel and is twisted, not round rod. I think I like the one on the right with the blue and silver letters the best. In my opinion they offered the differents bags for no other reason than just to give customers a choice. I am sure that they were all interchangable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...LeoadYRy0nDRnP7SU%3D&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT

#11 ·
Thanks Wolfy, went shopping for clothes with the wife today (fun times right), well anyway just happen to notice a 4 foot rod hanging on the side of the wall used to snag clothes hanging high out of reach. It has the same S hook design as the bagger rods and it is chromed. I was thinkin, "Boy I need to get my hands one of those to make a bagger rod" I think it is even made of 3/8 inch rod to.

#12 ·
The images and details are fantastic, more than I could have ever expected or asked for, fantastic detail. The upper rod end hook resembles those found on yard planter hangers, the rod style you drive in the ground and the hook holds the bail on the pot. Maybe I'll look at modifying one of those. Any chance on some details and images of the wheel guard that clips to the chute? I purchsed one from a later application that I will have to modify.

Thanks a bunch!

#14 ·
:thanku:

A huge thank you to Lawnboy77. Your mower is fantastic as are the illustrations for the bagger. I took a while however I did fabricate the rod per your images and drawings. Here are images. I'm very pleased with the results.

Attachments

Reactions: Lawnboybricktop
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.