My Tractor Forum banner

Any tips on picking an above ground pool vendor?

745 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Ingersoll444 
#1 ·
After about 19 years with our first above ground pool it is time to have it replaced. It has a slow leak in the liner I can't find, the frame is rusting and the trees have grown to shade the pool for a good portion of the season.

So, I want a new pool. Unfortunately, every time I walk out of a pool dealer I feel like I need a shower. The little guys mostly seem inexperienced and over priced and the big guys don't want to give you the time of day. Does any one have tips on picking a pool vendor and what to look for in a modern above ground pool?

#2 ·
The one that offers free water testing, reasonable prices for the chemicals, and the pool that will suit your needs for decent money. I did my own installations and maintenance.

With some vendors, once you make a major purchase and they get to know you, their attitude changes. I deal with a building supply company that many find cold and unhelpfull. After 40 years of dealing there, I haven't found that attitude present for the last 39 years.

My pool dealer was the same initially.

#3 ·
Well a pool can last a very long time. Look around to see what the different shops offer for parts. You WILL need replacement parts over the years. Look at some of their prices on common stuff, and see if its fair, or TOLATY out to lunch. There are a lot of more modern pools out there, with composite structure, and that may be better, but I know a normal steel pool can last 20+ years, so Im not sure if extra cost is worth it.

So I know itsnot a huge help... but you want a place that's big enough that they offer a good line of parts and supplys, but not so big that your a number on the books to them. Ask about replacement parts. And I would see if it offers standard Hayward equipment. That's the brand that's everywere, and you will find it tough to find parts if it uses off brand skimmer and other hardware items.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.