My Tractor Forum banner

John Deere No. 3 Horse Drawn Sickle Mower.

31K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  okieduc104 
#1 ·
"Post From: September 03, 2006"
My Uncle passed away in May and my Dad is going through things for the estate to be sold. Dad wanted to leave the John Deere No.3 Sickle horse drawn mower there for the new owners of the house. I pestered Dad pretty good about taking it with is. I made a deal with Dad that we at least try to pick it up with the 44H and if it gives us any problems we will just leave it be. We did not have one issue with it and almost seemed that it wanted to stay with our family. Below are pictures I took of the whole ordeal and the last picture is where it sets till I can get the time to start its restorations.
If by chance the links to the pictures go dead feel free to E-Mail me and I will send you the pictures. WOEII@AOL.COM

I also am having a hard time finding information on this mower. Would like to know about the tow bar and if the original was wood or metal. Also at the end of the sickle bar the shield if that was wood or metal as an original.
Bill

"Update 12/31/07"
Still have the No.03. This summer I packed it up for a long term storage. Have decided to keep it and restore her when I retire. Saw some good tractor shows over the summer and it would be a shame to let her go.

Still looking for any information on this mower. Thank you.
Bill

See less See more
#2 ·
Bill,
The tongue(sp) and the swath board were made of wood. The tongue was usually made of hickory or ash. The pitman was also made of hickory. The mowers that I have helped make wood parts for were IHC and Case. The swath boards I helped to make were made of poplar with a hickory turning arm. If you can find a good picture of a JD #5 it will help you see what the swath board looks like.
Dave

#4 ·

See that old wagon on the left and the wood hitch. My uncle originally had that on that # 3. Don't think it was the way it was supposed to be.
Will try to find a pic of that # 5.
Thanks,
Bill

#9 ·
Nice piece of machinery!! It will be a nice restoration project.
My dad had one, I think it was #5. Used to mow the unplanted part of garden with it to keep the weeds down. It's still sits up in back at my mom's place.
My dog lost a toe when he jump in front of it one time when we were mowing.:eek:mg: The vet couldn't believe what a nice clean cut it made.

Dad hit a yellow jacket nest one time when my brother was on the back.:Stop: Never saw him run so fast in all my life and dive in the above ground pool with even touching the sides.:sidelaugh They didn't bother Dad on the crawler since he wasn't the nearest target.
Dad made the pitman arm from hickory. Used a piece of steel channel for the tongue since it held up better being pulled by the crawler. The swathboard was intact at the time, but looked like pine. It wasn't original one.

#14 ·
You got it made, then. Nothing mows hay and weeds as cleanly as a sickle bar mower. If you are afraid of using it you are too young and inexperianced to be working outside! Get back to your Game Boy, and kill someone! ( good for making rabbit feet good luck charms also.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.