Restoring an old Murray/MTD - Page 2 - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Register Home FAQ Garage MTF Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store Chat Room

Old 01-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #16
38racing
Proud Member of the 1K Club

MTF Member # 25899
Default Re: Restoring an old Murray/MTD

looks like my 1985 800 series. That rod from front grill to dash is supposed to be straight. Mower might have been involved in a head-on.
38racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 05:52 AM   #17
D-Dogg
The Magnificent

MTF Member # 20164
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johntodd View Post
OK, what about reusing the engine? 18HP could be useful.
I tried to give away one which needed a carb job. No takers.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #18
Johntodd
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 69411

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dogg View Post
I tried to give away one which needed a carb job. No takers.
In all fairness, you should have sold it cheap. "Free" sometimes doesn't work out.
Johntodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #19
D-Dogg
The Magnificent

MTF Member # 20164
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johntodd View Post
In all fairness, you should have sold it cheap. "Free" sometimes doesn't work out.
Yeah, Gary said the same thing. Should have listed it for $100 and let them talk me down to $50. Go figure. Probably would have worked.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #20
willy1430
Senior MTF Member

MTF Member # 33400

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhenning View Post
Murray and MTD are two different companies neither of which have ever made many great mowers in their days. Murray is out of business I believe and MTD owns almost everything else. My advice having done this for years is it will not be cheap to do what you a planning. As a learning experience it will be great. If you have a tech college in your area that would be the first place I would try to see if they have course that will teach you what you need. Putting a dozer blade on the front will take the transmission out in a short time. These mowers were built to be disposable and last about 5 to 10 years maximum. Start reading everything you can here and expect this to be a money pit but a good learning experience. Pictures of what you have would help you get answers. Roger
Murray is owned by Briggs Mtd does not realy own that many other brands. Depends on what kind of trans axle it has on how long it will last.
willy1430 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #21
38racing

MTF Member # 25899

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy1430 View Post
Murray is owned by Briggs Mtd does not realy own that many other brands. Depends on what kind of trans axle it has on how long it will last.
mtd , not many?
mtd, yardman, yard machines, troybilt, bolens, cub cadet , white outdoor, columbia

it's it's an 800 series like mine the transaxle is 4 speed and designed to handle ground engaging implements
Old 01-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #22
Johntodd
MTF Junior Poster

MTF Member # 69411

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38racing View Post
it's it's an 800 series like mine the transaxle is 4 speed and designed to handle ground engaging implements
How can I tell? The serial #'s seem to have weathered away...don't know where to look for other numbers.
Johntodd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #23
D-Dogg
The Magnificent

MTF Member # 20164
Garage

Quote:
mtd , not many?
mtd, yardman, yard machines, troybilt, bolens, cub cadet , white outdoor, columbia

Which 800 series do you have with a 4 speed transaxle? The one the OP shows has a one speed with a belt drive variator.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #24
38racing

MTF Member # 25899

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dogg View Post
Which 800 series do you have with a 4 speed transaxle? The one the OP shows has a one speed with a belt drive variator.
You've got good eyes to see that from the pics. Lots of it looked like my 800
Maybe his is 700. Mine is 44 inch deck and I see now his is 46. My book show 46 available for 700 series from 1988 onward.
Mine is 145-832
IPL is here
http://search.cartserver.com/search/...-832&go=Search!

OP might want to look at this IPL for 136-744
http://search.cartserver.com/search/...36-7&go=Search!

but it's not the one speed variator either.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #25
D-Dogg
The Magnificent

MTF Member # 20164
Garage

Quote:
You've got good eyes to see that from the pics. Lots of it looked like my 800
Maybe his is 700. Mine is 44 inch deck and I see now his is 46. My book show 46 available for 700 series from 1988 onward.
Mine is 145-832
IPL is here
http://search.cartserver.com/search/...-832&go=Search!

OP might want to look at this IPL for 136-744
http://search.cartserver.com/search/...36-7&go=Search!

but it's not the one speed variator either.
WOw, I thought all the late 80s, through 90s 800s had variators. Learn something every day. I figured maybe you were talking about the old 860 which did have a pretty heavy transmission.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:11 AM   #26
joshockey
Tractor Hoarder

MTF Member # 51685

i have a few of these mtd gts and i personally love em i would first check to see if theres fluid in the trans and go from there take the shrouding off the motor clean the fins and make sure the motor turns over by hand. if it doesnt slowly rock it back and fourth till it frees or take the motor off an fully go thru it, im going to follow this thread. good luck also if you need hoods tires etc check around i have all of the things to restore that best but im a good distance from ya.everybody has there own method of freeing motors i use alot of different things depending on the situation. when i get motor s i always pull the sumps to look at the internals i double check everything and i have more than a dozen 18hp twins excellant made motor and i bet that one is still good.
1963 jacobson chief
1985 mtd 800 18hp
1988 mtd ranch king834
1988 mtd ranch king
1998 ranch king
1993 mtd yard machine jd plow and cab
2004 yard machine
1971 wheel horse commando (i think) DOA! trans
2006 mtd Bolens in rememberance
tractors in the parts yard as well

"tractors just seem to follow me home"
joshockey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #27
austinado16
Proud Wheel Horse Owner

MTF Member # 58755

Cool Find!

I love these big all steel MTD's. Here's a link to my thread about the one I dragged home for $50 back in Jan. http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=219343

I certainly wouldn't avoid bringing yours home, but there's one BIG red flag that could be a deal breaker; The air cleaner cover is missing and there's debris down in the carb throat. It's possible that water and other stuff has gotten down into the engine. If that's true, the engine may have a cylinder, or both cylinders, that are rusted solid....locking the engine up.

So your first steps will be:
-Use a shop vac and suck all that crud out of the carb throat.
-Take the entire hood/nose/sides off so you can easily work on the entire engine.
-Get a can of Kroil or PB Blaster, and spray a ton of it down the carb throat.
-Remove both spark plugs and spray more Kroil or PB down into the cylinders.
-Let the penetrant soak in for a while......hours, days....etc.
-See if the engine will rotate by hand. Might be easiest if you take the screen off and put a socket on the big flywheel bolt. Rotate the engine (or attempt to rotate it) slowly in both directions. Sort of a rocking motion. Go back and forth until you can get a full revolution out of the engine.
-If you can get a smooth revolution out of the engine, you're making huge progress.

-You can next try to spin the engine on the starter. To do this, I'll take a good battery or a jumper box, and jump from the good battery negative terminal, right to something bare metal on the engine. Next, I connect my jumper battery or jump box's positive terminal to the big cable on the engine's starter. I usually just go directly to the nut on the starter where the starter cable is bolted. This immediately gives a spark and the starter engages, so be ready for that. The engine should begin cranking over rapidly, and all that Kroil/PB Blaster should be spraying out of the spark plug holes all over you.

-If you successfully make it this far, you may wind up with a running engine after a bit more work.

-Do a compression test next, and with wide open throttle, you should get over 100psi in each cylinder. If you have good compression, it's probably going to be a runner.

-Change the oil, and then start making progress toward starting it for real.

There's still quite a bit more work to be done in order to actually start the engine, but you're getting close if it's gone well to this point.
austinado16 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.