My Tractor Forum banner

Home made pond bank weed mowing machine

14K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  john_deere_kid 
#1 ·
This is what I did all weekend... Seeing what everyone else was building gave me some ideas... It's not finished yet... I need to put on the hydro motor and control valves and hoses before I can try it out... This unit will cut upper and lower banks...

See less See more
#3 ·
Measurements need to be made to fit the tractor and made to fit under you'r barn door... Other than that anything goes... I think the hardest part is finding where to mount the hydraulic cly's so they give you the throw you need with using what you have... I'm hoping this mower will trim my hedge also...

#12 ·
Kbletz--do you need like a counterbalance on the opposite side of the tractor , you think, as you extend the arm farther out away from you?

that is a nice-looking, well-thought out plan, ---just one more weapon in your arsenel!! :thThumbsU

#13 ·
I don't think I'll need the counter weight... I'm going to put a 4 gal hydro oil tank on the other side and the deck is not that heavy... If I see that a weight is needed I will put one on... The deck sure does reach way out and 50 lbs, hanging 10' out the side of the tractor can do funny things when you drive over a log or a hole in the ground... If the tractor would happen to tip the arm should be strong enough to keep the tractor from rolling over... I've seen the bottom of my older Kubota and I'm not ready to see what the bottom of my Bx looks like quite yet...

#14 ·
Kevin,
Great looking machine. I was thinking about the vagarities of the land that you'll be driving over as well, and wondering how you'll keep the mower deck level. What would happen if you put guide wheels on the deck and rest it on the ground. Any way to add a little "float" to the boom arm to allow for a bit of ground tracking?

Nice piece of work!
Jim

#16 ·
Kevin, 24" wheels would sure allow the unit to float over the bumps without getting jambed up. Wonder if you could spring load some flexibility in the boom arm to keep it somewhat isolated from your tractor?? It would be terrible if the jarring spilled your cool beverage. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.